Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I completely agree with some flat % returns being a bit silly with the recent shenanigans going on. I have no issue with transparency, as I do think it is important to distinguish what is dumb luck and what is consistency. These are fully active swing and day trades. Never exposed by more than 30-40% cash, no margin, and as short as minutes, never longer than a couple days.

Here are the names I have traded in 2021, so far:
AAPLAPPLE INC COM
BTWNBRIDGETOWN HLDGS LTD COM CL A
CBATCBAK ENERGY TECHNOLOGY INC COM
CCV/UCHURCHILL CAP CORP V UNIT 1 CL A & 1/4 WT EXP
EBONEBANG INTERNATIONAL HLDGS INC COM
FFORD MOTOR CO COM
FCELFUELCELL ENERGY INC COM
FRSXFORESIGHT AUTONOMOUS HLDGS LTD ADR SPONSORED
FTFTFUTURE FINTECH GROUP INC COM
GEGENERAL ELECTRIC CO COM
GSAHGS ACQUISITION HLDGS CORP II COM CL A
IPOFSOCIAL CAP HEDOSOPHIA HLDGS CO COM CL A
JMIAJUMIA TECHNOLOGIES AG ADR SPONSORED
JPMJP MORGAN CHASE & CO COM
LILI AUTO INC ADR
NCLHNORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE HLDGS LT COM
NETCLOUDFLARE INC COM CL A
NOKNOKIA OYJ ADR SPONSORED
OPENOPENDOOR TECHNOLOGIES INC COM
OPKOPKO HEALTH INC COM
RIDELORDSTOWN MOTORS CORP COM CL A
SNDLSUNDIAL GROWERS INC COM
SOLOELECTRAMECCANICA VEHS CORP COM
SONOSONOS INC COM
UAVSAGEAGLE AERIAL SYSTEMS INC COM
VFFVILLAGE FARMS INTE COM
VVPRVIVOPOWER INTERNATIONAL PLC COM
WIMIWIMI HOLOGRAM CLOUD INC ADR
WWRWESTWATER RESOURCES INC COM
XUNITED STATES STEEL CORP COM
XLXL FLEET CORP COM CL A
XPOADPCM CAP INC COM CL A
ZMZOOM VIDEO COMMUNICATIONS INC COM CL A

And here is my daily P&L for the month of Feb, so far:

View attachment 334083

Before settling on my current strategy I traded for a couple years like you are now, big red days will happen and for me I didn't handle them well. Need to be able to shrug them off and keep at it while still recognizing what needs improved. It's possible to blow up 3 weeks of green trades in one day if the market aggressively turns. You may not have experienced that since you're saying you began this in earnest after the decline last year we have been nothing but up since. I did it during the 2014-2016 period which was a lot of choppy trading. I have talked to a lot of traders both successful and ones who failed and how you handle the setbacks is so critical to long term success when pushing more towards day trading and couple day swing trading.

It may be best for some to trade more aggressively now, make hay while the sun is shining, and just be ready to adjust when the tide changes. It doesn't take much acumen when 90% of issues are up just takes the balls to get in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TraderVue is pretty great and absolutely necessary if you are trying to perfect a strategy to day / swing trade on. It tells you exactly what works and what doesn't. There are numerous chart and detailed reports that you can see fine detail of your trades. The thing that kills me each time on the individual trade view is the efficiency stat. Sometimes it makes you feel great in your entry / exit, other times it is a glaring reminder how much profit you left on the table. Here is a more favorable example:

eff.JPG

exp.JPG

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
TraderVue is pretty great and absolutely necessary if you are trying to perfect a strategy to day / swing trade on. It tells you exactly what works and what doesn't. There are numerous chart and detailed reports that you can see fine detail of your trades. The thing that kills me each time on the individual trade view is the efficiency stat. Sometimes it makes you feel great in your entry / exit, other times it is a glaring reminder how much profit you left on the table. Here is a more favorable example:

To think of all the time I spent trying to do this in excel. I always tracked trades after I excited to see how far they ran prior to consolidation/pullback to try to gauge this and it was a PITA. This would have been really helpful :)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
To think of all the time I spent trying to do this in excel. I always tracked trades after I excited to see how far they ran prior to consolidation/pullback to try to gauge this and it was a PITA. This would have been really helpful :)
Well it’s been around for ten years. Sounds like you didn’t do your research!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Before settling on my current strategy I traded for a couple years like you are now, big red days will happen and for me I didn't handle them well. Need to be able to shrug them off and keep at it while still recognizing what needs improved. It's possible to blow up 3 weeks of green trades in one day if the market aggressively turns. You may not have experienced that since you're saying you began this in earnest after the decline last year we have been nothing but up since. I did it during the 2014-2016 period which was a lot of choppy trading. I have talked to a lot of traders both successful and ones who failed and how you handle the setbacks is so critical to long term success when pushing more towards day trading and couple day swing trading.

It may be best for some to trade more aggressively now, make hay while the sun is shining, and just be ready to adjust when the tide changes. It doesn't take much acumen when 90% of issues are up just takes the balls to get in.

I blew up three months worth of gains in my YOLO account on AMC.

Worst part is, selling earlier or later would have been really green.

And isn't it more revealing to go by %? We are a small enough group there isn't any "I bought one share of X, 190000%, I won the internet" bullshit.

But someone that only has 3k, getting a 30% gain is more impressive to me than someone with seven figures getting 8%.

The gain doesn't always mean knowledge or skill, but it keeps it relative to income and net worth. ROI and market returns are done in %, interest is, compound calculations, etc.

It's a better metric imo, don't hate on it because 2020 was madness

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Absolutely.

There's a couple required (in my opinion) reading materials if you want to do this full time.

1)

Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline and a Winning Attitude Hardcover – April 1, 2000​

by Mark Douglas

2)

Trade Mindfully: Achieve Your Optimum Trading Performance with Mindfulness and Cutting-Edge Psychology (Wiley Trading) Paperback – Illustrated, December 3, 2014​

by Gary Dayton

You basically need to become as robotic as possible. Cutting losers quickly and letting winners run is a difficult thing to do when we are emotional human beings. 90% of the game is an emotional one. It takes time and discipline and is a lot easier said than done. No one is perfect and we still make mistakes because we are human. But recognizing and separating the emotion from your trades is going to be the biggest step you can take towards consistency.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I blew up three months worth of gains in my YOLO account on AMC.

Worst part is, selling earlier or later would have been really green.

And isn't it more revealing to go by %? We are a small enough group there isn't any "I bought one share of X, 190000%, I won the internet" bullshit.

But someone that only has 3k, getting a 30% gain is more impressive to me than someone with seven figures getting 8%.

The gain doesn't always mean knowledge or skill, but it keeps it relative to income and net worth. ROI and market returns are done in %, interest is, compound calculations, etc.

It's a better metric imo, don't hate on it because 2020 was madness

I think the point is people with 7 figure accounts are less likely to bet the farm on individual plays and so are less likely to make big percentage gains. But because of the size of the portfolio the smaller percentage still nets much more actual dollars.

This past year has been off the wall so comparing notes is kind of a moot point either way though.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if you can see the amazon links for those 2 books. I dont see them on my screen. I can repost from another link if needed.

(Ah, adblocker blocks the media link. I will post another.)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure if you can see the amazon links for those 2 books. I dont see them on my screen. I can repost from another link if needed.

(Ah, adblocker blocks the media link. I will post another.)
I see them just fine

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Tilray blowing up in early morning trading as well after it went on a wild run yesterday. I had been holding canopy for a while, and it zoomed right past it over night.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I get it. I personally don’t care about the $ value people here have but I know some people who would get discouraged at seeing 5,6,7+ figure accounts. Some would take it as bragging and get turned off, or some would feel embarrassed posting about their 3-4 figure account when they shouldn’t. Was just posting why I don’t post my balance. I’ve also seen personal attacks on this board (not in this thread/section) based on how much people make which I think is pretty shitty.

I have a bunch of poor family and have ran into a lot of “you like to flash your money” bullshit just because we don’t get our cars repoed, or offer to pay for dinner one night. I guess personal experience has turned me off to discussing dollar values outside of a select few people.

Edit: Also Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes has posted his account number in pics about 12 times so once he posts he’s 7+ figures I’m hiring a hacker to empty that shit.
Its actually a honey pot. My day job is with the FBI so I cruise message boards posting my "account number" waiting for people to steal it. Yeah, thats my story and I am sticking with it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I still do everything in Excel. Boomer life!!

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Boomer stock alert!!!
KO up 2% on earnings. My covered calls expire on Friday at $51.50. God I love excitement. Currently about 1.5% below the strike.

• 1Like