Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Someone can only really make that choice for themselves. Pulling the money out is probably the better play, but there's a lot more risk to the choice than there was a week ago. If you're a longterm investor (10+ years), either choice will probably work out so long as you are saving the absolute most that you can each week.

The big thing about markets is their value is perception, and panic is devastating to perception. The amount of money that can be taken out of the market is nowhere near the value of the market, and strange things start happening when panic causes people to try and extract severe amounts of money. But panic is path that is very hard to predict. So make the choice you are comfortable with.
I need to respectfully disagree. If someone has their money in an SP500 index fund for the long term then it stays right where it is. That is the entire definition of buy and hold. Stonks go up and stonks go down.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You are positively fucking mental if you think pulling out your money is the best play.

The market will recover. Just like it always has.
Of course, but it will probably go down more before said recovery. I was predicting around 20% originally. We're at what, 11-12% so far? I think I may have been a bit optimistic with that estimate as well.

Though like I said, more risk this week than last. It's a bigger play for less money. The best play was taking your money out in January when I recommended in this thread.

And I wont hate on keeping it in at this point. 10+ year investors don't need to consider ups and downs.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So what do you all advise someone who has a big chunk of change in a SP index? No choice but to ride it out I guess. It’s hard watching a lot of your retirement drop by thousands
Assuming this is retirement money and/or a long term investment, leave it be and dont look at the market again except maybe once or twice a year. This is the hold portion of buy and hold.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why the fuck do I care if it goes down more? We are reaching an ideal time to buy into the market.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If you cash out and the market goes down 20% and then you cash back in, you have effectively gained 25% on your position. Avoiding crashes is a fine and acceptable strategy. Typically crashes are impossible to avoid and you handicap yourself trying.

This might be the first exception in history.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you cash out and the market goes down 20% and then you cash back in, you have effectively gained 25% on your position. Avoiding crashes is a fine and acceptable strategy. Typically crashes are impossible to avoid and you handicap yourself trying.

This might be the first exception in history.
Timing the market has the same success rate as the "pull out method" of birth control. I still try to time it occasionally, but I accept the fact I am also a retard occasionally.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So what do you all advise someone who has a big chunk of change in a SP index? No choice but to ride it out I guess. It’s hard watching a lot of your retirement drop by thousands

The whole point is it's gonna fluctuate and this only matters when you actually need the money e.g. Retirement

If you can't handle the dips then investing isn't for you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You know tuco always falls the wrong way off the fence. Definitely sell time.

Caliane

I bought more like 2 days ago. was too early..
its not going to go back up nearly as fast as it dropped, or is dropping. I'd give it a few more days, or even 2 weeks. its obviously bigger then I thought it was going to be.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Fear is still through the roof. Futures pointing down again. 10-year treasury yield smashed through below 1.3% yesterday for the first time ever... Its gone down another 10 BPs today and is now below 1.2%. If there's any kind of bounce in the next week, it could just be setting up for another new record drop.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Tuco's investments are about to go further up in flames. Today looks like it's shaping up to be another brutal day, and with the bad news piling in on the weekend, mondays have been a massacre too.

Wonder what will happen when they impose a 'quarantine' that closes wallstreet. lul

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't time the market dude, a lot of people don't. This is why it's an ideal time to buy for the long boys.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Sell an in the money covered call on the underlying stock.

• 1Picard

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Why would it bounce before full blown panic or clearing the Corona virus?

The public is still mostly unaware this is about to be a thing. So the real panic hang happened yet.

And we haven't cleared it...

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
And can someone decipher the last couple pages of investor speak?

Most of that shit sounded like gibberish

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And can someone decipher the last couple pages of investor speak?

Most of that shit sounded like gibberish

Simplest version. From every crash ever the market has recovered. It will recover from this one. Purchasing on the downswing now will pay you dividends in the next some years as it recovers.

Buy the fear.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why would it bounce before full blown panic or clearing the Corona virus?

The public is still mostly unaware this is about to be a thing. So the real panic hang happened yet.

And we haven't cleared it...

Trump said everything is fine.