Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ending the correction? This still isn't even remotely a correction. I swear some of you are way too sensitive to red days.

We'd need to drop another 7% or so for a "correction," which is usually a 10% drop.
The SPY 1yr chart to put the last couple of days in perspective...

1614306563133.png

We are basically back where we were two whole weeks ago...

1614306668901.png

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
T
Imagine WeWork if they had a 200b market cap. You cant find worse senior management in a large/mega cap than T.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
It depends if you’re looking at the entire market or specific stocks. A lot of individual stocks had multiple corrections this week lol

And what I mean is it’s easy to see how some people could be worried/upset. Someone earlier posted their whole portfolio was down 20% this week. That sounds like they aren’t very diversified or they just happened to pick a bunch of really bad selections, but I could see how people could think the markets fucked right now from their own personal perspective. It’s obviously not the overall market but looks bad to them.
I should have a couple grand depositing in my account tomorrow. Hoping for another red day..time to go shopping.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
T
Imagine WeWork if they had a 200b market cap. You cant find worse senior management in a large/mega cap than T.

To be fair, I think satellite TV is on it's way out the door. I broke from DirectTV 3 years ago. Monthy bill was over $200. I get hulu, prime, and netflix for a fraction of that and don't miss anything that I watched on DirectTV.

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Out of my entire watchlist. $BOTY happened to be my least red today at -3.33%. Probably will throw $50 at it for a fuck it play and let it sit. Hopefully come back to it in a few years and be up to a few bucks.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To be fair, I think satellite TV is on it's way out the door. I broke from DirectTV 3 years ago. Monthy bill was over $200. I get hulu, prime, and netflix for a fraction of that and don't miss anything that I watched on DirectTV.
While I agree with what you say (I am a cord cutter also), T management is still ass.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It depends if you’re looking at the entire market or specific stocks. A lot of individual stocks had multiple corrections this week lol

And what I mean is it’s easy to see how some people could be worried/upset. Someone earlier posted their whole portfolio was down 20% this week. That sounds like they aren’t very diversified or they just happened to pick a bunch of really bad selections, but I could see how people could think the markets fucked right now from their own personal perspective. It’s obviously not the overall market but looks bad to them.
This. Portfolio diversity matters. Alot. Investment dollars don't "disappear", they reallocate. Sometimes to cash, sometimes to commodities, sometimes to bonds and sometimes to different sectors of the market. I have lost track of the number of posts I have seen asking "Why do you buy those Boomer stocks? 10% a year return? LOL".

Because when Tech was getting raped yesterday, money was flowing into stocks like NOC, MMM, JNJ etc. I have very tech heavy in my portfolio, but I also own great names in other sectors. A great company is a great company, no matter what sector its in.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This. Portfolio diversity matters. Alot. Investment dollars don't "disappear", they reallocate. Sometimes to cash, sometimes to commodities, sometimes to bonds and sometimes to different sectors of the market. I have lost track of the number of posts I have seen asking "Why do you buy those Boomer stocks? 10% a year return? LOL".

Because when Tech was getting raped yesterday, money was flowing into stocks like NOC, MMM, JNJ etc. I have very tech heavy in my portfolio, but I also own great names in other sectors. A great company is a great company, no matter what sector its in.
My buys of F (Ford), which I have posted in the thread from $9.xx were a part of this value rotation. It has helped that they have had some great headlines since then, but that had broken over $12 recently, which is a very sizeable gain for a "boomer stock". Part headlines, more rotational value. Same gains story recently with X (US Steel).

All week while the market has been getting hammered, cruise lines and airlines have posted significant gains as people are rotating out of tech and into reopening plays.

Difference is, the savvy investor was buying these sectors when then were really bruised and beaten down. I was buying DAL in the mid-high 30s over the past months. We touched $50 yesterday.

Money is simply being shifted around. As Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes said, if your overall portfolio is tanking hard, you are probably weighted heavily into tech at my guess. Tech worked last year when everything else was hurting. Tech use goes up as a stay at home play, it made sense, although many were highly overbought. Now with vaccines flying off the shelves, even greater spending projections for 2021, and an imminent summer, people are repositioning for the boosts in those sectors. Overvalued tech suddenly isn't the place to be.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking for GME money funneling back to weed, I'm out of GME today and back in on SNDL & TLRY, even if they don't jump today, maybe we see it next week

Also got in PLTR at $23.50 as a longer position

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah, I’m all over the place. More than half my portfolio is ETFs. The other half is spread out among a variety of stuff. Nearly every day my account swings up or down <2%, because when one sector is going down, the other is going up. With som exceptional days like yesterday when everything was red, and a couple weeks ago when everything was green.

I have younger friends that have “holy shit my portfolio went up 11% today.” type of portfolios. I know which stocks they have though, and they are oddly silent when they have “entire portfolio down 15%” days. I try to get them to diversify into more stable shit to offset the wild stuff they’re in but they aren’t interested. They have a “I need to strike gold to retire by 40” mentality. I also try to get them to take profits off the table from time to time but they won’t. They’re in a ride or die mode on these tiny vulnerable companies. I’ll say “Dude you’re up 1000% at $35/share. Take profits off the table, buy it again when it dips to $22 next week.” They’ll respond “I think it can go to $120 though” It’s going to be sad when it goes back down to $4 per share but what can you do, they won’t listen.

• 1Moron
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My buys of F (Ford), which I have posted in the thread from $9.xx were a part of this value rotation. It has helped that they have had some great headlines since then, but that had broken over $12 recently, which is a very sizeable gain for a "boomer stock". Part headlines, more rotational value. Same gains story recently with X (US Steel).

All week while the market has been getting hammered, cruise lines and airlines have posted significant gains as people are rotating out of tech and into reopening plays.

Difference is, the savvy investor was buying these sectors when then were really bruised and beaten down. I was buying DAL in the mid-high 30s over the past months. We touched $50 yesterday.

Money is simply being shifted around. As Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes said, if your overall portfolio is tanking hard, you are probably weighted heavily into tech at my guess. Tech worked last year when everything else was hurting. Tech use goes up as a stay at home play, it made sense, although many were highly overbought. Now with vaccines flying off the shelves, even greater spending projections for 2021, and an imminent summer, people are repositioning for the boosts in those sectors. Overvalued tech suddenly isn't the place to be.
Congress is going to pass some sort of gigantor dollar infrastructure bill. Heavy equipment manufacturers, equipment rental companies etc are going to see a boon from this. Companies like URI, CAT etc have been flying because of it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, I’m all over the place. More than half my portfolio is ETFs. The other half is spread out among a variety of stuff. Nearly every day my account swings up or down <2%, because when one sector is going down, the other is going up. With som exceptional days like yesterday when everything was red, and a couple weeks ago when everything was green.

I have younger friends that have “holy shit my portfolio went up 11% today.” type of portfolios. I know which stocks they have though, and they are oddly silent when they have “entire portfolio down 15%” days. I try to get them to diversify into more stable shit to offset the wild stuff they’re in but they aren’t interested. They have a “I need to strike gold to retire by 40” mentality. I also try to get them to take profits off the table from time to time but they won’t. They’re in a ride or die mode on these tiny vulnerable companies. I’ll say “Dude you’re up 1000% at $35/share. Take profits off the table, buy it again when it dips to $22 next week.” They’ll respond “I think it can go to $120 though” It’s going to be sad when it goes back down to $4 per share but what can you do, they won’t listen.
I think I posted previously, I have a chart that tracks every sector and what stocks/precentages of my portfolio/return etc I have in each sector. Its a nice warning when I start looking to buy tech stock # 327 and see how much tech is already in my portfolio. At this point for me to buy more tech, I will sell an existing company to make room. It forces me to make decisions about each stock and its viability long term vs newer players. Kind of like an NFL general manager. and yeah, my goal is to run about 35-40% of my portfolio in ETFs.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Congress is going to pass some sort of gigantor dollar infrastructure bill. Heavy equipment manufacturers, equipment rental companies etc are going to see a boon from this. Companies like URI, CAT etc have been flying because of it.
I’m sad about CAT. I made quite a bit of profit on it but it was one of the companies I owned I was concerned about tanking. Set a 10% trailing stop loss on it, it had a few bad days and triggered it, to the moon ever since. Same thing happened to me with JPM. Every one of my trailing stop loss sells has been a bad decision for me.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’m sad about CAT. I made quite a bit of profit on it but it was one of the companies I owned I was concerned about tanking. Set a 10% trailing stop loss on it, it had a few bad days and triggered it, to the moon ever since. Same thing happened to me with JPM. Every one of my trailing stop loss sells has been a bad decision for me.
Same with both of those stocks for me. I made great return with CAT but sold it about $165 or so. JPM I cut bait on about 3 days before it mooned.