Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All I will add to the Roth/traditional discussion is the answer is really based on the individual and where they picture themselves being X decades from now. It is difficult to predict your tax status 30 years in the future. I think the real win is actually having and investing in one or the other consistently for 30-50 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Roth IRA is superior to a traditional IRA in every situation and is the best savings vehicle you can have. The only reason to do a traditional is if you don't qualify for a Roth. When you have matching money from an employer, other methods can be superior, but getting a kid started on a roth and having them stick to it could be an incredible boon to their future if they are semi-responsible.
God you're a shit poster. This is complete garbage advice.

The tax deferment from a traditional makes it vastly superior to most people if they're actually paying income taxes. Roth is only better if you're in a low tax bracket or if you're past the phase out on traditional.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't forget, he expertly predicted the market crash. And by expertly predicted it, I mean predicted it a month too late, but hey, why split hairs over such small details.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget, he expertly predicted the market crash. And by expertly predicted it, I mean predicted it a month too late, but hey, why split hairs over such small details.

I predicted it down to the exact day and I am shitposting 99.5% less than he is about it.

It was dumb fucking luck.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I predicted the market crash about 50 times in the last year. Last week I was correct. I rock.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Some things seem to be slowly up (1%ish) and or flat...so... good?

By things, I mean the few items I watch and the positions I dropped last Monday.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Wouldn't the depth and duration be unknown until after the actual supply chain shock in another couple weeks when you can't buy a TV, cities go into quarantine etc?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Only thing I thought would stay down was airlines. Because of the travel ban. I chose wisely. Options are only kind of fun I'll enjoy my "free" $850.00. Last week I did make some choice purchases so it's been sweet no matter what happens.

I still think this week ends red. But I am an idiot so what do I know.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tempted to dump my tsp back into the market, just seems like the worst is still ahead with empty shelves and possible public hysteria.

Hard to think the "maybe" is worse than all the state of emergencies etc that's about to start flying around

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some things seem to be slowly up (1%ish) and or flat...so... good?

By things, I mean the few items I watch and the positions I dropped last Monday.
My belief (nothing more) is some high quality stocks got oversold due to their weight in index funds. A lot of money got pumped back in today but not so much into indexes as it was directed at specific stocks. So on one hand the money that went in to indexes lifted all boats, but some stocks absolutely ripped because of direct purchase. Of course, I could be totally wrong,

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tempted to dump my tsp back into the market, just seems like the worst is still ahead with empty shelves and possible public hysteria.

Hard to think the "maybe" is worse than all the state of emergencies etc that's about to start flying around
And this is why market timing is so hard. You have to call the top and the bottom correctly. Good luck.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
God you're a shit poster. This is complete garbage advice.

The tax deferment from a traditional makes it vastly superior to most people if they're actually paying income taxes. Roth is only better if you're in a low tax bracket or if you're past the phase out on traditional.
Im sure that highschool student is being fucking crushed by his tax burden. Infact, this is why I said you only get the traditional if you don't qualify for a Roth. If you make enough money to have a high tax burden a roth is not available to you. (Technically it still is, but that's a story for another time.)

The only exception where you can get a roth and not have it be the ideal situation compared to a traditional is if you are a few years from retirement and have saved practically nothing so you'll definitely be a few tax brackets down in retirement. At that point you're probably screwed anyways.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, once my condo gets sold I will be in a position to start adding an IRA to my 6%(15% after company match +3%) 401k. I do qualify for a Roth, and the difference in AGI wouldn't be much of a blip, so I figure that will be the best route to follow.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, once my condo gets sold I will be in a position to start adding an IRA to my 6%(15% after company match +3%) 401k. I do qualify for a Roth, and the difference in AGI wouldn't be much of a blip, so I figure that will be the best route to follow.
Assuming you havent, check the limits on deductability with an IRA if you already have a 401k if you decide to go traditional.