Investing General Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So with Intel trying to unfuck itself, what do you think of buying in now? Last december would have been great for this I guess but hindsight is always 20/20.
No.

At the end of the day AMD will only continue to take market share from Intel until 2023 at the very least assuming all of Intel's plans actually pan out. Intel simply has nothing better than AMD until then.

Wildcard is the subsidies that will be coming. Obvious theyre gonna be getting some huge Biden bucks in the future which is probably why theyre investing "20 billion" into fabs in the US now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tmac Tmac look at SLYV too. It’s been my best holding. Small cap ETF. My best ETF over the past six months by far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So with Intel trying to unfuck itself, what do you think of buying in now? Last december would have been great for this I guess but hindsight is always 20/20.
It’s probably a good play if they can start turning it around but that’s not any time soon. It may be worth looking at in a year or more.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
CLF/MT/X.

My only question is, will people take profits monday and hope it dips to go in cheaper or will opening bell be +20?

I dont see coming out of these trades in the negative in the long term but the short term pop is what I need right now. I almost feel like I missed the train on thursday but with people desperate for a home after the tech drop that this is exactly what people are looking for.

clf.png

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FYI, 3 if these stocks are in the Nasdaq 200 (QQQJ). Expect it to get hammered again tomorrow as these block trades move. If you were looking for an entry long term,, this will be driving it down

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also when looking at ETFs/Stocks in general, take in to account if you look at one year of data you're now capturing the V recovery from Covid, so a lot of Stocks/ETFs will have descriptively high annual growth compared to their historic growth. You'll want to look at 3/5/10 year growth for your long term holds. For example the average 10 year return for SPY which is the S&P 500 index is right around 10% while QQQ which is Nasdaq is about 20%

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Goldman saying their losses from the Hedge Fund fallout on Friday were minimal, guess they just admitted to front running?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Goldman saying their losses from the Hedge Fund fallout on Friday were minimal, guess they just admitted to front running?

But we have an entire governmental organization whose sole job is to make sure shit like this doesn't happen, amirite? I mean it's not like SEC employees get jobs on Wallstreet as soon as they leave the agency.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
But we have an entire governmental organization whose sole job is to make sure shit like this doesn't happen, amirite? I mean it's not like SEC employees get jobs on Wallstreet as soon as they leave the agency.
That's also precisely why I believe the bank when they say the losses will be immaterial. Probably a shiny new office being opened for whoever said to trigger the margin calls.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What this thread needs is a break from stocks so here is an update on my construction investment with details.

40 by 100 feet property bought in October 2018 and subsequently subdivided into two 20 by 100 lots. Cost of land (and the shit heap that got demolished) was $340k. The cost of the project was projected to be roughly $750k and the price of the final product to be $1.05 million and the length to be about 2 years. The project was funded by 2 investors, 350k each and everything above was to be paid by the builder. The end cost ended up being ~$840k and the price the houses sold for was $1.15 million. Due to covid the whole thing took an extra 6 months or so (fucking hoax flu). The split on the profit was 30% to each investor and 40% to the builder. So in the end, ~$93k profit (before tax which will be minimal), with nearly 0 risk, in 2 and a half years.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What this thread needs is a break from stocks so here is an update on my construction investment with details.

40 by 100 feet property bought in October 2018 and subsequently subdivided into two 20 by 100 lots. Cost of land (and the shit heap that got demolished) was $340k. The cost of the project was projected to be roughly $750k and the price of the final product to be $1.05 million and the length to be about 2 years. The project was funded by 2 investors, 350k each and everything above was to be paid by the builder. The end cost ended up being ~$840k and the price the houses sold for was $1.15 million. Due to covid the whole thing took an extra 6 months or so (fucking hoax flu). The split on the profit was 30% to each investor and 40% to the builder. So in the end, ~$93k profit (before tax which will be minimal), with nearly 0 risk, in 2 and a half years.
Oct 1st 2018 S&P: 2888.57 Value now: 3947.93 ~around 36.67% gain + an additional ~4% in dividends. Stonks go up and reverse up, which is why you always gotta think of the long term.

• 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oct 1st 2018 S&P: 2888.57 Value now: 3947.93 ~around 36.67% gain + an additional ~4% in dividends. Stonks go up and reverse up, which is why you always gotta think of the long term.
True. But 0 risk is a large consideration.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

I'm a landlord and property values in my area have skyrocketed. I'm in the 'burbs and people fleeing the cities have increased property values a lot. If I'm given the opportunity to sell, then I will. Real estate has been a solid investment. Being a landlord is the pits though... In the future I'll look into flipping / new construction type stuff.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I always thought one of the advantages too bring a landlord was you move back into the rentals, then sell with primary residence exclusion.

I'm sure there is some specific depreciation recapture etc that I'm not aware of, since I've never seen it.

Kind of shocked I've never seen it now that I think about it...

Anyone familiar with the laws of consequences of moving into a long term rental?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think the problem is you have to make it your primary residence for 2 years. That's a long time to live in an investment property.