Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The money was on the other side of the trade. Shares were fairly easy to locate for borrows from multiple brokers. Shorts made bank on this.

The game is rigged. It's the insiders and hedge funds making bank off of folks like me losing 20% of my COIN buy on days like this. Sure, regular people can make money and we've got lots here who do, but it doesn't change the fact that the table itself is rigged to make sure the house always wins.

On a lighter note, Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule can we change my board title to "Paperhands McGee" please

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
The game is rigged. It's the insiders and hedge funds making bank off of folks like me losing 20% of my COIN buy on days like this. Sure, regular people can make money and we've got lots here who do, but it doesn't change the fact that the table itself is rigged to make sure the house always wins.

On a lighter note, Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule can we change my board title to "Paperhands McGee" please
Umm, you can do that yourself. Just buy a title change item.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not gonna hold you responsible for my decisionmaking or anything, but do you think I'd be better off dumping LAZR the next time it has any kind of bump? If that even happens. I did a post above about all the things I paperhandsed that got better later, and here I am wanting to paperhands something else. I'm just tired of being bummed out every time I look at these stocks that lose money for me, especially when I can put that money elsewhere and make back my losses within a few weeks. How long will LAZR take to make back my losses? Months?

It's just a bummer because the stock looked so good when I got into it, and I got in at a good price too. I thought that was gonna be one of my best stocks.

I'm totally willing to stay in it...if there's a point. Right now it feels like there isn't. Every time I consider cashing out and reappropriating those funds, I go nah, it'll get better, and then a week later I'm down another chunk. It's frustrating, but so it goes if you want to do this stuff. I know Bitcoin was way down for YEARS at a time before rocketing up.

I'm not. Got my BTNB, PSTH, XPOA, and GSAH and they're the only stocks I don't want to dump at the moment. Paper Hands McGee over here
If you have done any research on the company you think it might have a future long term then hold it. If you are looking for SPAC flips for quick bucks then wait for a pop and sell it. I like the company personally and continue to see near the money puts because I wont be upset if I get it back (I sold it for a 100% gain a while back). That being said, I dont think this is a 30 or 40 dollar company right now. I like it in the 16 - 20 range until I see earnings.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What is the maximum normal tax-advantaged investment you can make in a year as a normal single person who isn't trying to do anything shady? Just 401k+Roth+HSA cap? Is there anything obvious I am missing?
This three are usually the first steps. Not surprisingly, most Americans cant/won't reach the 401k annual cap (19.5k), let alone the Roth plus HSA caps. Start there.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Umm, you can do that yourself. Just buy a title change item.

Oh okay, thought it was a mod request thing.

If you have done any research on the company you think it might have a future long term then hold it. If you are looking for SPAC flips for quick bucks then wait for a pop and sell it. I like the company personally and continue to see near the money puts because I wont be upset if I get it back (I sold it for a 100% gain a while back). That being said, I dont think this is a 30 or 40 dollar company right now. I like it in the 16 - 20 range until I see earnings.

16-20 sounds about right. Not crazy about it going below 19 and it fell more today. The research I did do on it told me it was well worth it and had nowhere to go but up given the new administration's focus on EVs. And for a few weeks after said new administration got going, it was the ONLY stock I had in the green. So seeing it tank like this is completely unexpected. I think it has great long-term possibilities, but by then it's going to have a lot more competition in the EV space than it does now. The numbers are showing me a very low level of confidence from investors, which tells me my own LAZR confidence is misplaced.

SPACs and cryptos, that's what I'm sticking to now. Even in surging cryptos it might take me a bit to recoup all of my stock market losses since January, because with LAZR now shitting the bed, that loss # is higher than I expected to say the least.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

COIN was a direct listing I believe. The people who made money off of you were employees and other investors who say the valuation and knew this was a sucker play. That being said, the question you need to be asking yourself is why you thought COIN was a 100 billion dollar company and bought those shares. If you dont have a good answer then you shouldn't have been buying. The consensus in this thread was avoid like the plague.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whatever you do , don't do this. Nobody is paying 8.6% for money when money is currently near free without serious risk.

I have to contradict this a little. Go check out the bitcoin thread on my little experiment. I'll admit I have no idea if this will last long term and I'm also not truly confident the site will not be hacked or whatever, but I am earning 5%-12% depending on the asset.

I only put ~=500$ in because I too am skeptical, but I figured it was worth a try because why not earn coin interest on a coin literally sitting around doing nothing? And it *IS* working.

Full disclosure: only been at it a week but I am earning compounding interest on all my coins. True crypto coins give 5% interest(or 4% at low "loyalty" level) and coins connected to real money, like USDC give 10%.

For even more fun: I took out a 50$ loan to test this because I swore I was reading it incorrectly, but it is also working. I borrowed 50$ in USDC coin, using my Stellar Lumins as collateral, at an interest rate of 5.9% annually. I then kept that 50$ in USDC in Nexo where it immediately starting earning 10% lol

So there is a little graph where every day I watch what I owe increase by the daily % of 5.9 and every day what I earned goes up by my USDC daily % of 10%. It's actually comical, but I guess that's really only a 4.9% gain so not really better than the stock market on average. Is a neat experiment anyway.

However, looks like coinbase is dropping down to low 300$(327$ as I write this) glad I didn't try to hop on the wagon with this one though I think I may purchase it once I see it settle as I do believe the company doesn't have to do much but exist and not fuck up to be profitable.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah retail gains are pretty paltry compared to what hedge funds and insider politicians can make, but I don’t think it’s as rigged as you say. This thread you’re in the sentiment on COIN, was Don’t fucking buy it, it’s going to be obviously overpriced, wait for it to calm down, etc. Due diligence on that company shows it’s worth nowhere near what the opening price was. You can’t let FOMO lead to a basically gambling approach to trading then say it’s rigged when you didn’t strike it rich. I do bare minimum DD usually because I spread my stuff out so much, COIN was pretty easy to see it wasn’t going to the moon like you’d hoped. How many IPOs do retail traders strike it rich on opening day? Probably pretty close to zero unless you’re playing with millions already.

If you really want COIN long term, wait a few weeks or months for it to calm it’s tits and see where it lands so you have actual data to base your decision on.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have to contradict this a little. Go check out the bitcoin thread on my little experiment. I'll admit I have no idea if this will last long term and I'm also not truly confident the site will not be hacked or whatever, but I am earning 5%-12% depending on the asset.

I only put ~=500$ in because I too am skeptical, but I figured it was worth a try because why not earn coin interest on a coin literally sitting around doing nothing? And it *IS* working.

Full disclosure: only been at it a week but I am earning compounding interest on all my coins. True crypto coins give 5% interest(or 4% at low "loyalty" level) and coins connected to real money, like USDC give 10%.

For even more fun: I took out a 50$ loan to test this because I swore I was reading it incorrectly, but it is also working. I borrowed 50$ in USDC coin, using my Stellar Lumins as collateral, at an interest rate of 5.9% annually. I then kept that 50$ in USDC in Nexo where it immediately starting earning 10% lol

So there is a little graph where every day I watch what I owe increase by the daily % of 5.9 and every day what I earned goes up by my USDC daily % of 10%. It's actually comical, but I guess that's really only a 4.9% gain so not really better than the stock market on average. Is a neat experiment anyway.

However, looks like coinbase is dropping down to low 300$(327$ as I write this) glad I didn't try to hop on the wagon with this one though I think I may purchase it once I see it settle as I do believe the company doesn't have to do much but exist and not fuck up to be profitable.

It worked for bernie madoff investors for awhile too

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh okay, thought it was a mod request thing.

16-20 sounds about right. Not crazy about it going below 19 and it fell more today. The research I did do on it told me it was well worth it and had nowhere to go but up given the new administration's focus on EVs. And for a few weeks after said new administration got going, it was the ONLY stock I had in the green. So seeing it tank like this is completely unexpected. I think it has great long-term possibilities, but by then it's going to have a lot more competition in the EV space than it does now. The numbers are showing me a very low level of confidence from investors, which tells me my own LAZR confidence is misplaced.

SPACs and cryptos, that's what I'm sticking to now. Even in surging cryptos it might take me a bit to recoup all of my stock market losses since January, because with LAZR now shitting the bed, that loss # is higher than I expected to say the least.
Stocks go up and stocks go down. It is the nature of the market. This is amplified with high beta stocks like growth and especially pre-revenue growth stocks. AAPL was down like 20% a month ago. I bought more. When you believe in a company and want to own it, look at dips as reasons to add more, not reasons to sell. But you have to understand and believe in the company. Ask Blazin Blazin how he was feeling about LMT when it went sub-$330 a month or two ago. Its back sniffing around $400 now. I added and was rewarded for it. Same with NVDA when it was down around $475 not too long ago.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
COIN was a direct listing I believe. The people who made money off of you were employees and other investors who say the valuation and knew this was a sucker play. That being said, the question you need to be asking yourself is why you thought COIN was a 100 billion dollar company and bought those shares. If you dont have a good answer then you shouldn't have been buying. The consensus in this thread was avoid like the plague.

My prediction was that it would see first-day surges/gains based off of the massive hype surrounding it, THEN drop down into a more reasonable price range. I never thought COIN was a 100 billion dollar company, but I did expect enough other people to buy in based on FOMO and whatever other factors to push it upwards for at least a few hours.

In other words, that initial spike in the first 15 minutes, I expected to go on for longer. Maybe with an early dip from the "get in and get out" crowd followed by another bounce upwards. Figured that by the afternoon, or perhaps tomorrow morning, it'd be in freefall as everyone made their profits / realized how overvalued it was and jumped ship.

Instead we just skipped to the "freefall" part 15 minutes in.

It's the first stock launch I've ever been present for and it was pretty exciting, at least. Was absolutely a sucker play though. I tried to game it out like a Football score and it didn't work.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR - Like I said that spike was pure fund bullshit to get out of their calls in the $25 - $26 range before they expired worthless on Friday. The sold all their worthless calls and then dumped all the shares they bought with investor money bring PLTR right back where it was on on Friday.

1618430547260.png

• 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This three are usually the first steps. Not surprisingly, most Americans cant/won't reach the 401k annual cap (19.5k), let alone the Roth plus HSA caps. Start there.
Most people who make enough to cap 401k are over the income limits for Roth IRA contributions. (Unless they are mega thrifty putting a sizable portion of their income in that 401k)

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My prediction was that it would see first-day surges/gains based off of the massive hype surrounding it, THEN drop down into a more reasonable price range. I never thought COIN was a 100 billion dollar company, but I did expect enough other people to buy in based on FOMO and whatever other factors to push it upwards for at least a few hours.

In other words, that initial spike in the first 15 minutes, I expected to go on for longer. Maybe with an early dip from the "get in and get out" crowd followed by another bounce upwards. Figured that by the afternoon, or perhaps tomorrow morning, it'd be in freefall as everyone made their profits / realized how overvalued it was and jumped ship.

Instead we just skipped to the "freefall" part 15 minutes in.

It's the first stock launch I've ever been present for and it was pretty exciting, at least. Was absolutely a sucker play though. I tried to game it out like a Football score and it didn't work.
You initial ideas might have been ok and worked 6 months ago. The current market is not a friendly place right now like it was back then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
It worked for bernie madoff investors for awhile too

Ohh I am not promoting it as a get rich quick scheme, and I think the 10% for USDC numbers will drop as the company gains traction and attracts more users, but I do think that the 4-5% of crypto coin will stay and is legit.

Maybe I'm a putz but I actually believe in and like the concept. Basically decentralized loans. The core concept isn't much different than going to a bank for a loan, if anything the current model is a bit better as you *must* have collateral with Nuxo via any type of coin or real-USD. Make an account, put 0 coins in you can borrow 0$. But if you had(estimated numbers) 1k in crypto you could borrow 750$ dollars. The borrow amount per crypto value is different for each coin. Actually the more I think about it the more it's like borrowing against your 401k or something. If you don't pay back they take your crypto or whatever.

But the loan is decentralized, so the "money" comes from thousands of people instead of one big bank and 5.9% isn't that bad for what is essentially a personal loan.

Anyway I think the concept is neat though my overall trust in the situation is lowish at the moment hence my low stake @ 500$. I planned on leaving it for about 6 months and if things look good I may consider moving some real money there via my ETH/BTC investments.