Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My cash position is down to under 10%. After today's purchases. FTEC (my core ETF) is 35% of my portfolio now. Only option I have open is BTWN calls for Dec. Almost got my portfolio in cruise mode.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Oh THIS is what’s really driving the false inflation narrative that’s scaring everyone. Used cars! Phew, don’t worry guys no inflation happening really.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Oh THIS is what’s really driving the false inflation narrative that’s scaring everyone. Used cars! Phew, don’t worry guys no inflation happening really.

Pumping mass amounts of "free" money into the economy while at the same time driving up wages with no ties to the market is great for reducing inflation. I'm sure it is, the news told me.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Futures open flat to slightly green. Without some sort of external positive I don't see us moving back higher and more than likely heading back down for a test of the 200 DMA. To be honest, I'm not sure what the Fed or Biden can say or do. They have pretty much shot their wad. If they try to pass more free money, it just adds more inflation. If the Fed talks taper or rate hike the market will puke on that too. This is the wall we have been speeding towards for a while now.

Inflation isn't going to stop by itself, and these fuckers in DC probably don't understand this. Shit is a constantly moving stream of peaks and troughs. Once the inflation train starts moving upwards it dont stop by itself.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
these fuckers in DC probably don't understand this.
Those in charge perfectly understand. They just dont want to catch the blame for what happens when they raise rates to the required levels.

Im surprised its not 24/7 blame Trump and his admin's choices atm.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys. :)

Thoughts on CarMax, Inc. (KMX)?

Screenshot_2021-05-12 KMX Stock Price CarMax Inc Stock Quote (U S NYSE) MarketWatch.png

Dipped today. Up a little AA.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of used cars on the market soon. Can't make the payments when the Biden bucks run out and you're effective wage is cut in half.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Every fast food and sit down place ive around here has some type of hiring sign up.
This was true in 2019 as well. We were at 5% unemployment, now we're at 6.1%. Everyone collecting unemployment right now is tracked in that unemployment number.

The idea that we're in some kind of crisis compared to say 2007-2010 is laughable. Despite COVID and our best efforts to fuck up the economy, we're still close to near employment, which is why it is difficult to find workers, because it was already difficult to find workers pre-COVID. We're at the same unemployment rate as we were in 2014 when companies were also having a hard time finding workers.

1620863759055.png

Gas prices are not at historic highs by any margin. Gas prices always go up when the economy is going strong. Economies have thermodynamic limits and gas prices are a good expression of that limit.

The housing/construction boom is the big outlier, but easily explained by the fact that most of the city-dwelling professional class is now working remote fully or most of the time, with no plans on going back to the grind. Companies are investing big in expanding their infrastructure to support fully or mostly remote work; both my previous and current provider are in the business of selling those products and building out that infrastructure, and we have projects rolling non-stop right now. The city-dwelling professional class are taking their money and flighting the fuck out of the cities. This has happened multiple times before in history. Great time to own a business in the suburbs or the soon to be suburbs.

The real problem comes down to the fact that income-inequality got huge in the past 20 years and nobody fucking noticed. All those deep pocketed tech and finance people who were leashed to SF and Austin and NY are now being let loose upon the housing market at large, and your average joe making 70-100k a year is suddenly completely outmatched by the buying power of these people with their "2 comma" paychecks flooding into your local housing market.

Inflation is going to be higher than normal for a while but by small margins. 2-3% inflation rising to 5-6% inflation, still within historic margins. The idea that the price of everything is going to skyrocket is absurd.

PS: If you're driving a vehicle that gets less than 30 mpg on the highway you're a fucking idiot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This was true in 2019 as well. We were at 5% unemployment, now we're at 6.1%. Everyone collecting unemployment right now is tracked in that unemployment number.

The idea that we're in some kind of crisis compared to say 2007-2010 is laughable. Despite COVID and our best efforts to fuck up the economy, we're still close to near employment, which is why it is difficult to find workers, because it was already difficult to find workers pre-COVID. We're at the same unemployment rate as we were in 2014 when companies were also having a hard time finding workers.

View attachment 353757

Gas prices are not at historic highs by any margin. Gas prices always go up when the economy is going strong. Economies have thermodynamic limits and gas prices are a good expression of that limit.

The housing/construction boom is the big outlier, but easily explained by the fact that most of the city-dwelling professional class is now working remote fully or most of the time, with no plans on going back to the grind. Companies are investing big in expanding their infrastructure to support fully or mostly remote work; both my previous and current provider are in the business of selling those products and building out that infrastructure, and we have projects rolling non-stop right now. The city-dwelling professional class are taking their money and flighting the fuck out of the cities. This has happened multiple times before in history. Great time to own a business in the suburbs or the soon to be suburbs.

The real problem comes down to the fact that income-inequality got huge in the past 20 years and nobody fucking noticed. All those deep pocketed tech and finance people who were leashed to SF and Austin and NY are now being let loose upon the housing market at large, and your average joe making 70-100k a year is suddenly completely outmatched by the buying power of these people with their "2 comma" paychecks flooding into your local housing market.

Inflation is going to be higher than normal for a while but by small margins. 2-3% inflation rising to 5-6% inflation, still within historic margins. The idea that the price of everything is going to skyrocket is absurd.

PS: If you're driving a vehicle that gets less than 30 mpg on the highway you're a fucking idiot.

Shit doubling in price within a year is reasonable guys. It just means our economy is strong af. If you have a family and travel you’re a fuckig idiot. Moist said so!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why not 8 or 6 or 9 or 5?

oh
Here's the 10 year chart:

1620866284487.png

These are not inflation-adjusted prices either. These are real dollar prices.

Still think the current gas prices are an outlier?

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
yes, many more years at lower prices
Okay, here's 28 years:

1620866716557.png

If I had to use my 146 IQ brain, I'd say that arrow is an analog to where we're at right now, a post-crisis price spike.

• 1Potato

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Looks like gas prices are unusually high right now.
You realize those are non-inflation adjusted prices right? Gas prices are still low compared to the 8 year span where 4 dollar gas was common nearly every summer except those 2 years during a mini-depression.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You realize those are non-inflation adjusted prices right? Gas prices are still low compared to the 8 year span where 4 dollar gas was common nearly every summer except those 2 years during a mini-depression.

There is no inflation.

Apple says so

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

didnt you just tow your party’s line that there is no inflation?

• 1Truth!