Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maxing out my annual 401k contribution was an amazing feeling. Like sex but better because it will last longer :cool:
Kind of an aside, but I miss seeing my portfolio increase so much. The last couple years especially, where we were able to max out 401k's, IRA's, and dump another large chunk into our taxable.

My wife is only working about 5 hours a week now, and I've decided to forgo my 401k (it's a new job so no vesting, and I don't intend to work at it after we get a mortgage -- hopefully in the next month or so). So our "number" has just stagnated. And it feels kind of shitty. I know actually withdrawing from the accounts is going to be a massive mental hurdle.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're too worried about dumping all your money into an ETF/Stock because it's at an all time high, than you can always dollar cost average in. So if you have 12000 to put into an ETF, you can do 1-2000 a month, that way if it dips/corrects, you can capture some of that without losing 100% of any gains it makes.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ABT has filled more than half the gap from when it adjusted earnings due to a slowdown in Coronachan testing.

1624547640860.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know how I can put in an order swap mutual fund into an ETF in Vanguard without having to sell the fund first? Their interface is aids.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone know how I can put in an order swap mutual fund into an ETF in Vanguard without having to sell the fund first? Their interface is aids.
It'd probably be easier to open a fidelity account and swap it to that to be honest

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember 3 months ago when Tech was dead and we were heading back into a bear market? +17.3% if you bought the dip 10 weeks ago.

1624548169123.png

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Peter Thiel is getting some coverage after its discovered he has a Roth with 5 billion in it

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The CNBC coverage of it wasn't so much about the ROTH itself, but the fact he had bought boatloads of undervalued Paypal founder's shares for fractions of a penny each. This in itself is against SEC rules and what is being questioned.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The CNBC coverage of it wasn't so much about the ROTH itself, but the fact he had bought boatloads of undervalued Paypal founder's shares for fractions of a penny each. This in itself is against SEC rules and what is being questioned.
It depends on how PYPL was originally set up as a company. It is very common (and recommended) for Founder's shares to be priced at the penny/sub-penny value so as to limit taxable gains on those shares when distributed/exercised.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yea, this is probably going to be enough to get bipartisan support for a change. I just hope they don’t completely mutilate back door Roth. I mean good on him, but even republicans will realize they need to correct this or it might result in even a worse change.

fris

Vyemm Raider
interesting article. several over big recognizable names have roths valued in the millions.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My BABA long is now in the green. Thanks Kathy*.

*purposefully misspelled for Blazin.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
This is my 401k on Fidelity with the highlighted being almost 60% of the account and all them are above 30% increase. Of course this will vary because of the age of my account with the growth but its an idea where to start your research.
401k.PNG

IRA - lowest being FTEC with 24.1% growth.
IRA.PNG

And this is my play money where I listen to stuff here and things my friends and I talk about. I am red in the bottom 4 but no more than $100 negative total. Got in on UUUU for $2 and its being paying off well.
play money.PNG

Wife and I each put in the max in 401k, IRA then she has her handbag money and I have my gun/investment play money. I am turning 47 and wife is 46 and together we have close to a million in retirement.

The question I have is this:

I started at a new company and they do 8-22% payroll profit sharing, give free 3% 401k, two bonus' 8-16% payroll and offer stock. We are a private employee owned company and their stock has risen 12 to 14% per year the last 8 years and 5% the last 14 years. Projection this year is the stock will rise another 14% and we are hitting our monthly profit/revenue goals so far. Our industry is Electrical and Data Centers so that is not going to slow down. We just opened another office on the west coast and now have active clients in 42 of 50 states we are doing design/construction over sight/maintenance with.

How much do I pull from 401k to put towards stock? I have time to figure out my plan as I cannot buy until Jan 2022 but am trying to figure out a balance. I am constantly going back and forth on where I should go and how much but am really struggling to come up with a plan. I feel like we are doing okay but I am the first on my side of the family to actually have a plan to retire at a normal age and not even think of SS.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is my 401k on Fidelity with the highlighted being almost 60% of the account and all them are above 30% increase. Of course this will vary because of the age of my account with the growth but its an idea where to start your research.

IRA - lowest being FTEC with 24.1% growth.

And this is my play money where I listen to stuff here and things my friends and I talk about. I am red in the bottom 4 but no more than $100 negative total. Got in on UUUU for $2 and its being paying off well.

Wife and I each put in the max in 401k, IRA then she has her handbag money and I have my gun/investment play money. I am turning 47 and wife is 46 and together we have close to a million in retirement.

The question I have is this:

I started at a new company and they do 8-22% payroll profit sharing, give free 3% 401k, two bonus' 8-16% payroll and offer stock. We are a private employee owned company and their stock has risen 12 to 14% per year the last 8 years and 5% the last 14 years. Projection this year is the stock will rise another 14% and we are hitting our monthly profit/revenue goals so far. Our industry is Electrical and Data Centers so that is not going to slow down. We just opened another office on the west coast and now have active clients in 42 of 50 states we are doing design/construction over sight/maintenance with.

How much do I pull from 401k to put towards stock? I have time to figure out my plan as I cannot buy until Jan 2022 but am trying to figure out a balance. I am constantly going back and forth on where I should go and how much but am really struggling to come up with a plan. I fee like we are doing okay but I am the first on my side of the family to actually have a plan to retire at a normal age and not even think of SS.
I guess I'm not entirely sure what the question is. Pull from 401k to put towards stock meaning...future contributions?

It'd help to know what your goal is. If you're thinking about retirement planning, you should also start figuring out what your actual expenses are (how much you actually spend per year for your current level of comfort/hobbies).

Been a while since I've posted it. It's a good intro into the shift of thinking that makes retirement possible. I also have links to information about how to draw from your retirement accounts early. Don't think that just because the government says you can't draw from them until age 6X that you're unable to touch your money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can also avoid over contributing to your retirement accounts if you feel like you want to retire early but don't want to worry about too much of your savings being in a 401k/roth

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I guess I'm not entirely sure what the question is. Pull from 401k to put towards stock meaning...future contributions?

It'd help to know what your goal is. If you're thinking about retirement planning, you should also start figuring out what your actual expenses are (how much you actually spend per year for your current level of comfort/hobbies).

Been a while since I've posted it. It's a good intro into the shift of thinking that makes retirement possible. I also have links to information about how to draw from your retirement accounts early. Don't think that just because the government says you can't draw from them until age 6X that you're unable to touch your money.

Yeah sorry, I should have just said this:

I put in the max in 401k and IRA being a total of $25,500 a year but am trying to figure out how much to reduce that by and put towards the stock of the company? I have thought about splitting half of it to 401k and the other half towards company stock.

Goals? I honestly don't know but to retire at around 60. House pays off in a few years, own our vehicles and already save for sons college. We talk about travel but now with some countries we talk about visiting doing vaccine passports that puts a hold on that.

I probably should go see a fee only financial advisor outside of reading you guys stuff, those friends I have aren't very talkative about this stuff. My side of the family are failures and my wife's side doesn't like to discuss money.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh. I'd say don't put extra into company stock or an ESOP.

Essentially you're putting all your eggs in the company basket. You already rely on them for salary. Ask Worldcom or Enron employees how that can go wrong.

A good way to look at it is if you currently made $100k and are saving $25k, you're 75% in on your company.

But then, tons of people have become tech millionaires similarly, so it does work out sometimes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user