Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you ever go into a trade saying, "I want to make $X,XXX and then I'll get out."? Or do you just go into it wanting to make money with no goal in mind?
I hear this a lot and it really depends what kind of trading you do.
holyshit.png

Sometimes you just gotta get what you can get and get the fuck out.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you ever go into a trade saying, "I want to make $X,XXX and then I'll get out."? Or do you just go into it wanting to make money with no goal in mind?
All my trades are hotkeyed for profits of .1%, .05, .025 and .01, or a stop loss of 1%, on a stock with a volatility of 3-4%, on an OCO (one cancels the other) bracket order. I don't enter a trade without those parameters. I learned on PLUG that you have to protect yourself. Sometimes insiders do start selling off. I think I lost thousands on that one, when if I did my bracket order I would have capped it at 400. Sometimes something is wrong, and you have to take the stop and see what is going wrong. Insider trading is illegal, but it happens all the time. I think PLUG dropped 15% before any news came out (that they had Accounting irregularities).

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The problem was I broke one of my trading rules. Best time to trade is between 8:45 and 10 AM CST. My trades just kept winning for hours, I didn't want to leave. For months now, I've been doing simulated trading, and I'm out. I sat there all day, even traded over lunch (bad time). I try to make 400-500 a day and then leave no matter what. Today, I refused to leave to my detriment.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All I can think of at a time like this is... "It couldn't happen to a nicer company". Except maybe TWTR or GOOG.

1627602217301.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The problem was I broke one of my trading rules. Best time to trade is between 8:45 and 10 AM CST. My trades just kept winning for hours, I didn't want to leave. For months now, I've been doing simulated trading, and I'm out. I sat there all day, even traded over lunch (bad time). I try to make 400-500 a day and then leave no matter what. Today, I refused to leave to my detriment.
400 trades a day? What are you doing?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
PINS down 20% after a double beat but reporting a decrease in users. I'll probably buy some as twice before it's had a massive dip after earnings that recovered to previous levels

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
400 trades a day? What are you doing?
$400-500. Has been mostly simulated trading on thinkorswim. Yesterday was the first time in awhile with real money. And it was a $2,500 day, except I broke my rule about trading for no more than 1.5 hours. For the last 60 days, when I make 400, I step away and do something else. Yesterday, I couldn't walk away. 100% I am to blame for not following my rules. I keep a log, anytime I'm sitting there trading pre market, or outside of that time range, I'm not doing well.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been in that for a year now, up 33%. Still holding.
Its one of my original core holdings. I moved in the day it plunged on the Allergan purchase announcement. Its been printing money every since. Its this rare hybrid of dividend and stock price.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AMZN 200 DMA is $3268 and lower support floor is $3182 for anyone interested in playing the dip. No technical support beyond that.