Investing General Discussion

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Who the fuck writes these articles, and do they actually get payed? What investor/trader was really standing around going "Oh shit, Biden had a primary win, buy buy buy!"

I think the idea is more "Bernie is losing" than "Biden is winning!"

When you have a presidential candidate who, economically speaking, scares the shit out of 80% of the country anyone else starting to beat him is "good news for the markets"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
God damn why can’t they let the market slide a little? I need to get back in, one bad week and emergency measures, gdi

Voldethlj02

Trakanon Raider
Unless you're expecting to be in a higher bracket, which is unlikely, a Traditional is a better fit. Since you're currently employed, and saving enough to actually have, y'know, savings, you're likely earning higher than you will be drawing in retirement.

The only caveat is the idea that we get a Bernie Sanders that raises tax rates exorbitantly on middle class incomes (which honestly, wasn't a concern previously but is becoming more likely now), in which you could expect higher tax brackets. But by this same token, that kind of overreaching government will also likely raid Roths and you're screwed in that scenario anyway.

I don't think it's as simple as one is simply better than the other. Realistically, you'll want assets in both buckets in retirement, so you can draw your "standard" income out of your taxable assets to try and keep that income in a lower bracket with another bucket for more significant expenditures (crazy travel year, raising money to gift to children/grandchildren for college, etc) without pushing that distribution into a higher tax bracket. I also don't think it's unreasonable to think taxes in general will be higher in 20-30 years given the deficit spending and ballooning debt levels we're seeing even with a strong economy, to say nothing of what will happen when all the high income/tax boomers retire and sit on their money for years. No one really knows what the situation will be down the road, so it's likely prudent to hedge a bit and have assets in both traditional and Roth between 401(k) and IRA's.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You want in? Short long-dated US treasuries.

Who you shorting?

I’m not very savvy with investing, I just buy low sell high every so often, I about pulled the trigger to short some health care companies last week, and should have they went nuts today after Biden won, but it’s not a big deal. My gains (and losses) right now are in the low thousands.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Who you shorting?

I’m not very savvy with investing, I just buy low sell high every so often, I about pulled the trigger to short some health care companies last week, and should have they went nuts today after Biden won, but it’s not a big deal. My gains (and losses) right now are in the low thousands.
I bought put options on TLT which is an ETF that houses long dated treasuries 20+ year duration. Puts mean I am betting the price of the ETF goes down. The price of treasuries went parabolic and I believe they will come back down to sanity in short order. If I am wrong I lose some dinero.

Edit: I used the word short and probably shouldnt. Buying puts isnt really the same. I highly advise against you shorting stocks if you arent "savvy" as you say. Actually shorting stocks gives you unlimited downside. Going long you can only lose what you invested.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I bought put options on TLT which is an ETF that houses long dated treasuries 20+ year duration. Puts mean I am betting the price of the ETF goes down. The price of treasuries went parabolic and I believe they will come back down to sanity in short order. If I am wrong I lose some dinero.

Edit: I used the word short and probably shouldnt. Buying puts isnt really the same. I highly advise against you shorting stocks if you arent "savvy" as you say. Actually shorting stocks gives you unlimited downside. Going long you can only lose what you invested.

Yeah I’m not getting into that shit. I’ll just do shit like buy a stock I like at $150, wait a couple months (or longer/shorter) and sell at $210. Watch it til it dips again and repeat.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I’m not getting into that shit. I’ll just do shit like buy a stock I like at $150, wait a couple months (or longer/shorter) and sell at $210. Watch it til it dips again and repeat.
I like that plan. Let me know the next one you are picking. I like that rate of return 😀

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I thought the markets would be a slow slide down and volatile, but not THIS volatile. Stock market has been doing some crazy ass swings this week. I'm sure there's a couple people who made shorts that got fucking hosed at some point.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I’ve never pretended to be on the level of the posters in this thread, so don’t face fuck me too hard for this question...

How much merit is there to this:

Yes I know the channel name screams of scamming old people.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Some.

There's a massive liquidity crunch on the horizon to put it simply. The fed will have two choices: Let the banks and hedge funds who have been slimy bastards go up in massive flames, or print enough money to bail them out.

Either way a lot of people are gonna get hit and it will be ugly. The fed in a way usually just sits on the sidelines and waves its money wand around. But for the last 5 months they've had to be involved to keep things working.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m sure there were some heavy losses for shorters but looks like a lot of winners too. I don’t have the cash or balls for that kind of investing.