Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh. I like Fidelity on phone and website but don’t have anything to compare it to. It simply works and is easy/intuitive.

I use Fidelity as my broker but I find the phone app to be clunky but I'm a pretty active trader (1200+ trades/yr). I keep a couple bucks at TD just so I can use their app when I want to monitor the market when on my phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I use Fidelity as my broker but I find the phone app to be clunky but I'm a pretty active trader (1200+ trades/yr). I keep a couple bucks at TD just so I can use their app when I want to monitor the market when on my phone.
Yeah it’s not good for monitoring the market. They’ve made some recent changes that made it better but I still use something else to market watch. I’m not nearly as active as you, and I’m just doing buy/sell activity, not the deeper stuff you do. So for that level of trading, I’m happy with it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it's looking like we're entering recount territory, hoping tomorrow things are down as people grab some profits and get back into the indexes

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
BIIB up 40% on news FDA will back its Alzheimer's drug. Sort of sad I sold it 4 months ago :mad:
I am shocked that it looks like it will get approval - I guess the desperation for any treatment option justified a bit of a fishing expedition for any efficacy signal.

For many years, A-beta antibodies have been used with varying degrees of success to reduce some symptoms, but the amyloid hypothesis had fallen out of favor in recent years due to a string of high profile clinical failures.

It was always suspected that early intervention might be the key, but I'm mostly surprised that a retrospective subgroup analysis was enough to convince the FDA. Definitely the FDA under the Trump administration has been associated with decreased burden of proof, even if the approval process is arguably more political than it used to be.

Is it worth an extra 15-20B in market cap? Possibly... Especially if this becomes the standard of care for very early stage patients. I can tell you that if I received an AD diagnosis I would be begging for them to pump me full of aducanumab, even if I'm personally skeptical of the effect is real. It's a truly horrifying disease.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Futures are up. Used to be a saying markets don't like uncertainty. Well it's pretty uncertain now.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I am linking another video if anyone wants to spend an hour. Its about equities markets. Its high level but worth a watch perhaps. The other reason I am linking it is it discusses the IPO process in depth. If for nothing else, this portion is worth a watch. It starts at about 12:50. It will open your eyes into what exactly the IPO is and how it functions (and why its usually a bad deal for retail investors unless they price it wrong).

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am shocked that it looks like it will get approval - I guess the desperation for any treatment option justified a bit of a fishing expedition for any efficacy signal.

For many years, A-beta antibodies have been used with varying degrees of success to reduce some symptoms, but the amyloid hypothesis had fallen out of favor in recent years due to a string of high profile clinical failures.

It was always suspected that early intervention might be the key, but I'm mostly surprised that a retrospective subgroup analysis was enough to convince the FDA. Definitely the FDA under the Trump administration has been associated with decreased burden of proof, even if the approval process is arguably more political than it used to be.

Is it worth an extra 15-20B in market cap? Possibly... Especially if this becomes the standard of care for very early stage patients. I can tell you that if I received an AD diagnosis I would be begging for them to pump me full of aducanumab, even if I'm personally skeptical of the effect is real. It's a truly horrifying disease.
I believe the huge jump is based really on first to market advantage. They will have an uncontested global pool of customers if it gets full approval. Ahh well. Too bad I cut bait on this one.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How so? You may be feeling uncertainty but clearly a drop from a VIX of 40 to 26 in 2 days the market is a lot less uncertain.
My real concern for now is I am not seeing broad market movement. On a day we flew up, NYSE only had 55% advancers and NASDAQ also had exactly 55% advancers. I think alot of this was money shifting from those sectors everyone was expecting big things from who now wont get it to those sectors who thought were going to get hammered and now wont (healthcare, insurance). The split Congress is going to be a win for the markets from a volatility perspective. They are going to assume Mitch will hold the line against insanity and we get back to a more normal dysfunctional Washington.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My real concern for now is I am not seeing broad market movement. On a day we flew up, NYSE only had 55% advancers and NASDAQ also had exactly 55% advancers. I think alot of this was money shifting from those sectors everyone was expecting big things from who now wont get it to those sectors who thought were going to get hammered and now wont (healthcare, insurance). The split Congress is going to be a win for the markets from a volatility perspective. They are going to assume Mitch will hold the line against insanity and we get back to a more normal dysfunctional Washington.

Capture.JPG

Food for thought. The NYSE AD line is advancing, we made a high on the previous rally (even though indexes didn't, this was a hint to get long) . We are going to see consolidation of this move soon, I wouldn't overly judge it on two days of sector movement. We have seen Financials give back, but look at the Russell 2000 yesterday which came out quite weak fully recovered it and now is back pushing upwards and is up again this morning.

Edit Disclosure. I went long IWM on Fri 10/30 and am still holding and am still long SPY.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
As of this morning I will hit my goals for the year, which back at the end of April seemed laughably impossible to reach. Been one heck of a trading year. Some stats for anyone interested.
Was low on total trades from normal with 574, this was largely due to just holding swing positions from April through June. I'm up $203,678. My average monthly cash utilization to generate that income ranged from $500-900k. My index retirement investments which I almost never touch are up 14.03% YTD, some years the index beats me (looking at you 2017), in more volatile years I tend to do better on the trading side.

Retirement Fund Fully invested in Index Funds
Capture1.JPG

Trading Account Balance Chart (Doesn't include last few days) Shows how despite being full cash at the peak my legging in during the march drop still was rather painful decline
Capture2.JPG

I am weighing liquidating trading account this morning and taking rest of the year off (THIS IS NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE) I usually at minimum take the second half of December off its usually quite boring for market action anyway. I feel somewhat drained from this year and some time away from the stress will probably do me some good.

To everyone who got through this year without panicking from their plan I tip my hat to you, it's been about as challenging as it can get. Let's hope for a calmer 2021, even if the trading is less profitable

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I panicked a few days ago, took some profit out of X, and then it went up 6%

I should have blacked out media and my trading app for the whole election period

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As of this morning I will hit my goals for the year, which back at the end of April seemed laughably impossible to reach. Been one heck of a trading year. Some stats for anyone interested.
Was low on total trades from normal with 574, this was largely due to just holding swing positions from April through June. I'm up $203,678. My average monthly cash utilization to generate that income ranged from $500-900k. My index retirement investments which I almost never touch are up 14.03% YTD, some years the index beats me (looking at you 2017), in more volatile years I tend to do better on the trading side.

Retirement Fund Fully invested in Index Funds
View attachment 315322

Trading Account Balance Chart (Doesn't include last few days) Shows how despite being full cash at the peak my legging in during the march drop still was rather painful decline
View attachment 315333

I am weighing liquidating trading account this morning and taking rest of the year off (THIS IS NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE) I usually at minimum take the second half of December off its usually quite boring for market action anyway. I feel somewhat drained from this year and some time away from the stress will probably do me some good.

To everyone who got through this year without panicking from their plan I tip my hat to you, it's been about as challenging as it can get. Let's hope for a calmer 2021, even if the trading is less profitable
barack obama applause GIF by Obama

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm good about not panicking , but very bad about taking profit. I just look at all my airline and cruise positions (the ones I never intend to hold long) and think "they can go up some more because stimulus not happened yet or vaccine not happened yet or they have not hit 50 percent of their 52 week high" yet, etc. etc.

The gains just today are insane all around. My friend who is DEEP into semi conductors (both here and Japan and elsewhere) is striking gold.

My dear Palantir just keeps jumping at the contracts and news of contracts roll in. Loving it. Also I threw some mad money after NIO based on some internet hype and have not been disappointed. Its crazy all around. sigh, its exciting and exhausting at the same time.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FVAC +8%
With all the EV stocks running people getting around to buying the rare earth miner again.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm good about not panicking , but very bad about taking profit. I just look at all my airline and cruise positions (the ones I never intend to hold long) and think "they can go up some more because stimulus not happened yet or vaccine not happened yet or they have not hit 50 percent of their 52 week high" yet, etc. etc.

The gains just today are insane all around. My friend who is DEEP into semi conductors (both here and Japan and elsewhere) is striking gold.

My dear Palantir just keeps jumping at the contracts and news of contracts roll in. Loving it. Also I threw some mad money after NIO based on some internet hype and have not been disappointed. Its crazy all around. sigh, its exciting and exhausting at the same time.

Didn't think I'd be putting calls on my PLTR for 13+ so soon, but here we are. Not complaining!