Investing General Discussion

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasnt throwing shade on you, just pointing something out. To be honest, people here should treat investing like raiding. No one starts out good at raiding. It takes lots of reading about the encounters and zones and playing your toon well. It doesn't take a degree to be good at this. Just lots of reading/watching, practicing with fake money for a while, and doing research with what you learned.
Except there is no Deadly Boss Mods to tell you when to buy/sell haha

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
On that subject., I am glad to look at support/resistance levels on stocks if anyone wants them to help consider buy and sell points. Just as long as I am held harmless for the results.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Chinese EV stock. Part of the reason I hate the speculative nature of the market and how volatile it has become is because shmucks like this Andrew Left guy can buoy and pull the rug out of the price of stocks like these by just talking. Put in a big trade, talk it up, people follow. Cash out, take a short position, pull the plug on your support, people follow. It's bush league.

Meanwhile, nobody seems to care about the company behind the stock at all.

It blows my mind that the opinion of someone like Andrew Left holds any weight, let alone enough to crash stocks the way he does over and over. Some of Citron's "research" papers are hilarious at how inaccurate and poorly-written they are, yet somehow they create a self-fulfilling prophecy that enriches Left and usually leaves enough scraps for his followers to gobble up. Rinse and repeat.

images

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It blows my mind that the opinion of someone like Andrew Left holds any weight, let alone enough to crash stocks the way he does over and over. Some of Citron's "research" papers are hilarious at how inaccurate and poorly-written they are, yet somehow they create a self-fulfilling prophecy that enriches Left and usually leaves enough scraps for his followers to gobble up. Rinse and repeat.

images
Its the day trading that does it. They feed off any news to buy/sell and just move to another target. Its not like they know anything about the companies themselves. They just trade the momo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

It’ll only get worse with even more zero to low cost commission brokerages and increasing # of people tethered to their desk for work.

I am one of these. At least partly. Two serious accounts and one very undisciplined account which, while it would be perfect to grow, I enjoy learning the timing and maturing a bit in what essentially is edumacated gambling.

but sometimes I think people have a very hard time being skeptic of random information on the internet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's not really about being skeptical of random internet information. It's about believing you're smarter than all the other stupid people getting the same info and believing that it will cause a trend you can take advantage of.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I find it also helps to avoid stocks that are the wallstreetbets favorites. While I do own some SPACS, with the exception of NKLA they are all private companies with earnings and profits and I research the crap out of both the companies and the people who formed the SPAC.

Ita a lot harder for some rando investor on social media to impact the price of AAPL, MSFT, LMT etc by tweeting "this stock is overpriced and I'm shorting it". There have been a couple of analyst who have had AAPL as a "sell" rating for what seems like forever. It doesn't seem to hurt the stock much.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I find it also helps to avoid stocks that are the wallstreetbets favorites. While I do own some SPACS, with the exception of NKLA they are all private companies with earnings and profits and I research the crap out of both the companies and the people who formed the SPAC.

Ita a lot harder for some rando investor on social media to impact the price of AAPL, MSFT, LMT etc by tweeting "this stock is overpriced and I'm shorting it". There have been a couple of analyst who have had AAPL as a "sell" rating for what seems like forever. It doesn't seem to hurt the stock much.
Some of my most handsome profits this year had come from TSLA, which is exactly a WSB / Robinhood favorite this year. That absurd herd mentality can see some massive volatility.. and volatility makes money. (Day trading / swing trading) We saw a move on TSLA from ~$428 on Friday the 4th of Sept and on the market resuming Tues the 8th over a long weekend, it tanked down to $330 per share. A week later on Monday the 14th it retraced back to $420 and the following day hit $462. Then again between the 24th of Sept and Oct 1, there was another $100 swing in price. These are the insane moves the WSB /RH crowd make, and that is a lot of opportunity to make huge moves over very short periods of time.

For longer term investments, do your research and keep away from these irrational stocks.

For reference, the Daily chart on Tesla:
TSLA chart.JPG

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What kind of software or service do you need to run queries? I want to be able to look at, say, all mutual funds/ETFs that are down >X percent since January 1st 2020.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fidelity Active Trader Pro should be able to handle that. Just messing around real quick I was able to search negative growth based on sector, can probably get more granular if you play with it more

What kind of software or service do you need to run queries? I want to be able to look at, say, all mutual funds/ETFs that are down >X percent since January 1st 2020.

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasnt throwing shade on you, just pointing something out. To be honest, people here should treat investing like raiding. No one starts out good at raiding. It takes lots of reading about the encounters and zones and playing your toon well. It doesn't take a degree to be good at this. Just lots of reading/watching, practicing with fake money for a while, and doing research with what you learned.
Where should I start my research? I have a robinhood account for fun and I want to get better at managing it (I throw some fun budget money at it every pay day, growth is still better than a savings account).

I generally leave my 401k and 403b rolling over on the aggressive options (80% stock, 20% bonds), added 10% annually to my 401k with a matching 5% from my company.

The 403b is a leftover from my days as a teacher. Is there anything I can do with that other than let it ride?

Sorry to be a bother. Been lurking in this thread for a month or so now that I found it.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Where should I start my research? I have a robinhood account for fun and I want to get better at managing it (I throw some fun budget money at it every pay day, growth is still better than a savings account).

I generally leave my 401k and 403b rolling over on the aggressive options (80% stock, 20% bonds), added 10% annually to my 401k with a matching 5% from my company.

The 403b is a leftover from my days as a teacher. Is there anything I can do with that other than let it ride?

Sorry to be a bother. Been lurking in this thread for a month or so now that I found it.

Keep the bulk of your stuff in an index fund like SPY or QQQ until you get more familiar with investing. As far as trading, just start reading about companies/stocks you like, pay attention to news and when earnings approach, and research their financials/balance sheets. Below you can see where financials are which are a good measure of how healthy a company is, this is from market watch, but you can use any financial site

1605381751874.png

• 1Like

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One more thing, I keep seeing ads for GenesisAI, offered through the private equity firm netcapital.com.

Not a whole lot of information of than the usual econ "this has great potential etc." Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about this?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some of my most handsome profits this year had come from TSLA, which is exactly a WSB / Robinhood favorite this year. That absurd herd mentality can see some massive volatility.. and volatility makes money. (Day trading / swing trading) We saw a move on TSLA from ~$428 on Friday the 4th of Sept and on the market resuming Tues the 8th over a long weekend, it tanked down to $330 per share. A week later on Monday the 14th it retraced back to $420 and the following day hit $462. Then again between the 24th of Sept and Oct 1, there was another $100 swing in price. These are the insane moves the WSB /RH crowd make, and that is a lot of opportunity to make huge moves over very short periods of time.

For longer term investments, do your research and keep away from these irrational stocks.

For reference, the Daily chart on Tesla:
View attachment 317593
TSLA is my favorite in and out play.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Using Fidelity just make customized screens. Probably the same with most trading software.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Without knowing your background, some of this might be redundant. If you can't read a balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows spend a few minutes learning about them. They aren't complex at all, just new to most people. My main focuses on their financuals are revenue/revenue growth, long term debt, EBITDA, long term debt to EBITDA (the sector impacts this as well as if they did an acquisition in the near past and took on debt to do so), how much cash and short term cash equivalents they have, amount of AR, amount spent on share buybacks and dividends and finally free cash flow).

While the deeper you can read the financials the better, knowing the basics is still very helpful. For long term investments i focus on rock solid balance sheets and a low debt to EBITDA ratio. Manufacturers will run higher debt than software companies.

Since there are like 5000 companies in America that trade, you cant learn them all. Start by focusing on a sector or two. Learn the companies in the sector. It never hurts making tech one of the sectors.

Learn the basics of reading technical analysis. Even if its the basic moving averages and support/resistance levels. The computer does all the work calculating this now, so you just need to be able to interpret what its telling you.

Don't chase bad trades. You are going to make them. Don't double down on a mistake. Keep a tight leash on your losses as you learn. On a non-volatile stock maybe use 8-10% or 10-15% exit plan. Its better to cut bait on a bad $5000 trade and lose $500 than to double down and lose $2000 when it drops another 10%.

Investopedia is a nice place to begin with basics. Everytime you read a term you dont know, go look it up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I've only very briefly poked around Alpaca, but seemed like a good feature set, ease of use, some solid default tools/use cases set up..