Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Read their partner NASDAQ found the issue and will start over again on Tuesday. Odd.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like a repeat of last week is in the works with the new vaccine news - Cruise lines and airlines already up 6-8% and nasdaq red. Guess they want to try to redo the rotation into value stocks since it failed last week

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like a repeat of last week is in the works with the new vaccine news - Cruise lines and airlines already up 6-8% and nasdaq red. Guess they want to try to redo the rotation into value stocks since it failed last week
I know how this movie ends. I'm ready for the dip. Pretty bad news for my DAL calls expiring Friday though. Ah well, it was a good run.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like I'll just keep riding my puts on PLTR AMD and SNAP this week, added puts in PINS too

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like I'll just keep riding my puts on PLTR AMD and SNAP this week, added puts in PINS too

looks like PLTR almost hit 18 pre market. sweet jesus.

As for today, I'm praying Chinese EV hype goes up enough for me to sell most the position I got trapped in the other day.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
looks like PLTR almost hit 18 pre market. sweet jesus.

As for today, I'm praying Chinese EV hype goes up enough for me to sell most the position I got trapped in the other day.
I am reading a lot of filings that big money investment holdings (like Soros and some of the big pension funds) are taking sizable positions in PLTR.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've got some money in an inherited IRA (in random bad Edward Jones indexes since Mum used one of their financial advisors) that I have to pull out sometime this year, feeling like later today or tomorrow is probably as good a time as any.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've got some money in an inherited IRA (in random bad Edward Jones indexes since Mum used one of their financial advisors) that I have to pull out sometime this year, feeling like later today or tomorrow is probably as good a time as any.
Why do you have to pull it out? Why cant it be rolled into an IRA of your own?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why do you have to pull it out? Why cant it be rolled into an IRA of your own?
Apparently they passed some new law this year that is specifically for inherited IRAs. I only have to take out like 10% of it, but it's forced distributions and can't be added to/transferred to a normal account, until it's gone. And thanks to the Rona losing me my job for most of this year, plus the 2 months of training for switching careers, my income this year is rock bottom, so a good year to just pull it all out and reinvest it in something not designed to feed fees to a financial advisor. I've got about 28k in the account, with about 8k of it being the capital gain, since Mom died and her IRA got split up during the pandemic market-dip.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Apparently they passed some new law this year that is specifically for inherited IRAs. I only have to take out like 10% of it, but it's forced distributions and can't be added to/transferred to a normal account, until it's gone. And thanks to the Rona losing me my job for most of this year, plus the 2 months of training for switching careers, my income this year is rock bottom, so a good year to just pull it all out and reinvest it in something not designed to feed fees to a financial advisor. I've got about 28k in the account, with about 8k of it being the capital gain, since Mom died and her IRA got split up during the pandemic market-dip.
Got it. Check the Coronachan laws that got passed, I believe it might be free from the 10% distribution penalty this year.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Moderna will likely be reporting efficacy data soon for its COVID vaccine. If you feel like gambling, this could really swing things up or down in the coming days (weeks?) depending on their efficacy numbers. All their data so far has looked great, but with such an early readout from a small number of positive cases (probably less than 100), a few patients can really affect the protection numbers. They'll be shooting for at least 90% since Pfizer kind of set the bar high. I can't remember if the testing criteria are different for the Moderna vs Pfizer trials.

Moderna completes case accrual for interim analysis
Well, that was an easy call for a 25% gain. MRNA was $77 when I posted this and it's around $100 today after they posted their efficacy. Might bump a little more or more likely will settle lower by the end of the week. All their preclinical data was really similar to Pfizer and they use using a similar delivery platform so this was fairly predictable. Between Pfizer and Moderna (+ maybe Astrazeneca) if you own all 3 you can just wait for EUA to get issued within a couple months and probably get another payoff when one or more gets selected. A little more risk there since the safety profiles might prevent EUA but I think that's unlikely.

Unlikely to see many more high impact press releases before EUA from Pfizer or Moderna except for publication of more in depth data and maybe some follow up or subgroup analysis. I'll reiterate that I would own BioNTech, rather than Pfizer, for a lot more upside but of course more risk.

Disclaimer: this is all based on my scientific opinion of these vaccines, not any expertise on trading/ stock prices. I'm just assuming that more good news = higher price

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has been announced that TSLA is to be added to the S&P500 as of December 21st.

Shares are up 9% on the news after-hours.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
FUCKING FINALLY

Been waiting to unload my tesla shares since august

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i havent posted much in this thread because i sunk most of my account balance into TSLA back in late august in anticipation of Tesla Day and been waiting for almost 3 months to get out of it

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I guess being a hog a week ago and missing a sell just paid off. I'm never this lucky. Mr. Market will bone me some other way to balance this lucky stroke.