Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fucking MP. I like the stock and made some money off it but Jesus its like investors have no clue this location has bankrupted two previous attempts to make a run at this rare earth mine. There is no scenario where I value this company above $20. SMH. Same with LAZR. I like them both but we are in clown world valuations right now. To paraphrase... Greed cometh before the fall.

Things I am watching right now...
BTWN - Made money and looking to jump back in when/if it dips back down around $11. I would play it with options but they arent open yet.
GIK - HYLN but with delivery vans. Delivering 70 vehicles a year. IF they can scale up could be a solid. Waiting for the dip back under $11.
Industrials have been beat up lately, LMT, NOC, RTX and GD I am watching.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I'm not even selling puts on any of them right now, I only like puts in the 15-20 range. I'm not going to get almost get stuck like I almost did with PLTR at 27

• 1Quality Calories

elonm00sk

Molten Core Raider
Tesla has the valuation of a company selling 30 million cars a year.
Peeps thinking Tesla is an auto company. It's a robotics company. One with a 15 year head start over the boomer auto companies that are trying to hire AI engineers to work in an office in Deaborn Michigan.

• 1EyeRoll

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Peeps thinking Tesla is an auto company. It's a robotics company. One with a 15 year head start over the boomer auto companies that are trying to hire AI engineers to work in an office in Deaborn Michigan.

Yeah we went through this a year ago when I bought in.

It's value isn't infinite. And it's current valuation is absurd.

Right now miles driven is the one thing they have. And it's worthless without regulations allowing it to have value.

Do you think the govt is going to give musk the auto industry?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We dont talk about it much, but if you keep an eye to portfolio balance end of year is a good time to check your weights. If you have any big winners in your long term investment stocks make sure they havent gotten beyond your personal max weight in your portfolio. And factor in the additional exposure if your hold index ETFs and the stocks are mega caps. For example AAPL is 6% of the SPY and 13% of the QQQ. So every hundred dollars you have in QQQ means you have 13 dollars of AAPL.

DIS has run up so far I might need to sell some of it to get it back in balance.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Okay, well selling shares of HCAC at $20 may have been premature. The idea of post merger dip didn’t play out.

19469110-AC7A-462B-A872-69A874C6DAB4.jpeg

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Okay, well selling shares of HCAC at $20 may have been premature. The idea of post merger dip didn’t play out.

View attachment 324737
All I will say is you can't time markets. And with SPACS and IPOs there are no technicals to really use. These types of valuations are just Robinhooders. As has been discussed many times here, Sell at a price you are comfortable with. If you play the ride it to the moon game, the odds say it wont work out well for you. If you get in at $10 and out at $20 in a week or a month, be happy. This isnt AAPL, MSFT, AMZN etc.

When you feel the need to ride a SPAC to the top of the mountain, go look at a chart of NKLA or HYLN.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I read most Spacs/mergers don't make it to 20$. How true that is I have no idea as it didn't have any data to back it up. I'd say if you can get in early at 10-12 and sell at 15 when it spikes on merger news, its still a good pay out. I wouldn't expect the LAZR/MP's to be the norm.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit IPV just shot up 30%. Not sure if there's news or if its just riding on the backs of LAZR and VLDR

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
All I will say is you can't time markets. And with SPACS and IPOs there are no technicals to really use. These types of valuations are just Robinhooders. As has been discussed many times here, Sell at a price you are comfortable with. If you play the ride it to the moon game, the odds say it wont work out well for you. If you get in at $10 and out at $20 in a week or a month, be happy. This isnt AAPL, MSFT, AMZN etc.

When you feel the need to ride a SPAC to the top of the mountain, go look at a chart of NKLA or HYLN.

As always thanks for the perspective.

I think in most cases I’m too careful and tend to take a quick profit and end up leaving $300-1000 on the table with great frequency. So I should, on a trend, be a little more aggressive but not overly so.

The good news is I haven’t hardly lost any money all year, which I guess says something for an amateur like me. Maybe it says something about an unusual market year also.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL released info on getting into the EV car market in a serious way. I expect all these small companies are running on hopes of being bought out by AAPL.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I read most Spacs/mergers don't make it to 20$. How true that is I have no idea as it didn't have any data to back it up. I'd say if you can get in early at 10-12 and sell at 15 when it spikes on merger news, its still a good pay out. I wouldn't expect the LAZR/MP's to be the norm.

That is what I’ve been doing successfully. Just sold DMYD yesterday at a $4 a share profit.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can only imagine the amount of apple fan boys lining up to buy the first iCar even if there's videos of them driving off cliffs

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As always thanks for the perspective.

I think in most cases I’m too careful and tend to take a quick profit and end up leaving $300-1000 on the table with great frequency. So I should, on a trend, be a little more aggressive but not overly so.

The good news is I haven’t hardly lost any money all year, which I guess says something for an amateur like me. Maybe it says something about an unusual market year also.
This is where using tools like training stops come into play. Once a stock hits a price point where you are like "Bling", its time to think about a trailing stop. High vol stocks will take extreme dips just to shake out stops but at the end of the day you are are banking profit. Also you need to consider the stock class. When dealing with SPACs you are playing the momentum and they speed they go down is extraordinary. Never lose sight of the what realistic gains are. 10-20% in a "year" are fantastic gains for the market. If I can make 50% or 100% return and not take a loss I am happy as a pig in shit. One loss can wipe out multiple gains.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can only imagine the amount of apple fan boys lining up to buy the first iCar even if there's videos of them driving off cliffs
AAPL pushing a 52-high. That was the pre-split high of $550 or so. AAPL is single handedly carrying the indexes today.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
This is where using tools like training stops come into play. Once a stock hits a price point where you are like "Bling", its time to think about a trailing stop. High vol stocks will take extreme dips just to shake out stops but at the end of the day you are are banking profit. Also you need to consider the stock class. When dealing with SPACs you are playing the momentum and they speed they go down is extraordinary. Never lose sight of the what realistic gains are. 10-20% in a "year" are fantastic gains for the market. If I can make 50% or 100% return and not take a loss I am happy as a pig in shit. One loss can wipe out multiple gains.

Got it. I’ll read into these things more and learn how to use em. And yeah I’m avoiding those losses pretty well at the moment! Making a little is better than losing a lot.

• 1Truth!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I bailed on MP. Short term gains are going to be rapey this year but fuck it, I rather have the gains.

Spent the last week or two doing what san mentioned, everything kept appreciating so fast I wasn't comfortable with having so much in so few companies.

I think I've settled into how I'm going to personally manage my active trading. Which is nice, to feel the routine settling in.

Anyway, banner year everyone.

Wild shit. Even if blazin hates money

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users