Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What a brilliant idea. Do these come with special anti-theft RFID tags, or are they just going to be bundled with Nike's?

At $399 price point instead of the usual $10k for special edition apple watches, i think theyre almost expecting them all to be looted rather than bought

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
SPACs!!!!

If the price didn’t plummet how are they going to argue people were damaged

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Being in the EU if you want to invest money is apparently akin to being stuck in the cuckshed. I can't even trade RTP with my bank.

Try to set up an Interactive Brokers account. I think they have recently changed a few things to try to be more competitive in the small volume trader market. The Pro account still has a minimum level of activity per month or you get hit with a small fee (unless you have over $100,000 with them).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Darn. I just finally got trading up on Brokeragelink, but it looks like even when self-directed I'm limited. Tried to buy into some SPACs and other things but got a message stating "that type of security is restricted in this account." So much for self directed eh. I'm guessing only things like mutual funds and the like are allowed.

Anyone have any insight what would be good plays for that? Boring. I'll see if I can bring a PDF on Fidelity's site that explains exactly what I can trade in.

Seems odd. I trade my 401k in Fidelity’s Brokeragelink. I’ve got half a dozen SPACs invested. From sub $11 XPOA to nearly $30 PSTH.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I guess the upside is leverage.

You can lever yourself until you get a "property empire" of a certain number of properties and eventually get a positive cash flow. Just seems too much of a crap shoot for me.
I have a friend who started his real estate venture by just moving and keeping his first house, then he did it a few more times. I think he has 4-5 houses now. Eventually the payoff will be huge when that first house is paid off, it will snowball and pay off the others quickly.

I’ve thought about it a couple times but talking to him I just wouldn’t want the headache of it. He says it’s not too bad but when you get calls because one of the $8k furnace/AC dies, or you have a shitty tenant, or even a good one has something come up and they need an extra two months but you already have a tenant lined up behind them, or a list of other small annoyances he’s talked about...I just realize I wouldn’t want to deal with that when I already have a full time job and a kid.

It may be something good to start when we’re thinking about selling this huge house we have in 15 years and I’m closer to retirement age, it wouldn’t be as annoying if you were retired or working part time. But then is it really worth it if you won’t have it paid off for a long time? Idk. I think I’m just not the personality type for owning real estate/renting.
I was just talking about having rental properties. I'll be staying away from real estate market investments. That website looks like a scam btw.

Before COVID, and maybe even still during COVID, there are/were dozens and dozens of real estate podcasts, where real estate bros would come on and tell about all their properties, how they own 20+ properties, have 40 "doors", and are making so much per month, putting up their YouTube videos with some exotic car in the back, talking about creative financing to pay all these down payments, and how they are leveraged to the hilts to pay for all this.... I can't imagine what happened to them now with COVID, where people haven't worked in a year, I can't imagine most of their tenants are paying rent, so now they are on the line for numerous loans with no way to cover them. It could get really, really ugly soon!

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It sounds like some people need to learn how to landlord.

Here's a protip: Pay someone else to do it. I pay a guy $450 a month to completely manage 6 properties. I don't pay any bills, or deal with any tenants, or repairs or anything other than mortgages, taxes, insurance, and HOA.. and all of that is automated drafts. My property manager handles all the repairs and even pays for them and just holds it back from my monthly draw. The amount of headache people will subject themselves through for $75 a month (per property) is insane. Fuck that mess. $450 is money WELL spent.

I've never talked to a single tenant in the 7 years i've been a landlord, and never once had a tenant evicted. I sit back and collect money and nothing else.

Is it a real property management company or a friend doing it? If not a PM, how did you find this person? It's definitely a great idea. I've looked at PMs here, and most seem to be around 8-10% for residential, and about 15-25% if a AirBNB/VRBO property. On the thin margins of residential RE, it seems PMs really take a big cut!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Thinking about buying some Ford. Between Biden saying he wants to EV all fed vehicles and the USPS contract getting delayed constantly I'm thinking that Ford has a good shot. Stock is also double where it was just a few months ago.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Kirun Kirun 18% up on my penny stock pump and dump scheme.

1612397984297.png

• 1Worf

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Seems odd. I trade my 401k in Fidelity’s Brokeragelink. I’ve got half a dozen SPACs invested. From sub $11 XPOA to nearly $30 PSTH.

It's company specific from my understanding. Is your 401k your own like from your own business, or from a company? I read some companies simply limit what you can do with them.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
UWMC record earnings out. Stock getting a nice bump but nothing spectacular in AH. Will be interesting to see what it does tomorrow and in European markets tonight.

I'm still in this from the HIV (this was ghiv right??) days. Diamond Hands!

(actually just forgot about it).

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm still in this from the HIV (this was ghiv right??) days. Diamond Hands!

(actually just forgot about it).

What a stinkbug that was. Yes, it was GHIV. I sold for a mild profit at like $12.50 before it pre-merger crashed.

I currently have about $1500 in calls that were up to $2100 today and should be even higher tomorrow. If the price doesn't move up well tomorrow I'm just gonna sell these 12/19 12.50s.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What a stinkbug that was. Yes, it was GHIV. I sold for a mild profit at like $12.50 before it pre-merger crashed.

I currently have about $1500 in calls that were up to $2100 today and should be even higher tomorrow. If the price doesn't move up well tomorrow I'm just gonna sell these 12/19 12.50s.

Yeah I'm holding a few things that I'm just about done with and need to cut bait and recycle into something else. I'm all about giving a stock a chance, but the time comes when I want that money somewhere else.

Who remembers Turtle Beach from the ... umm 80s?? 90s?? I think I had a audio card from them when I was a kid. THey are still around, ticker is HEAR. I always loved their logo and name and said to myself a month ago , they are around 20, I should buy it....let me wait until its 20.

Now its 30. sigh. My gut told me to do it and I quibbled over pennies, I hate that and usally don't do it.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Is it a real property management company or a friend doing it? If not a PM, how did you find this person? It's definitely a great idea. I've looked at PMs here, and most seem to be around 8-10% for residential, and about 15-25% if a AirBNB/VRBO property. On the thin margins of residential RE, it seems PMs really take a big cut!

It's a real property manager. He's also a realtor and flipper. Investors are his specialty. His fee is $95 a month now, but I got grandfathered in I suppose. I'd never ever TOUCH an airbnb property, fuck that mess.

Thin margins in residential are thin from a cash flow perspective, but if you count equity it's a solid deal usually. These days maybe not quite so much -- I got in at a good time, and my mortgages are all very small. I have one house that's a $542 mortgage payment as a 15 year mortgage and I rent it for $1300 a month. Another home I have is paid off that commands $1500 a month. Not everyone is in this position, so I get it. Feels good though when someone else is paying a bunch of mortgages for you and there's nothing you have to worry about.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Can you elaborate? If the trigger for gainz is the merger what made you think it was good to sell pre-merger?

GHIV was one of the most hyped SPACS and it was a major turd. It just never really took off. Touched $14 briefly as I recall. It was kind of a rare case that it didn’t move much.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I'm holding a few things that I'm just about done with and need to cut bait and recycle into something else. I'm all about giving a stock a chance, but the time comes when I want that money somewhere else.

Who remembers Turtle Beach from the ... umm 80s?? 90s?? I think I had a audio card from them when I was a kid. THey are still around, ticker is HEAR. I always loved their logo and name and said to myself a month ago , they are around 20, I should buy it....let me wait until its 20.

Now its 30. sigh. My gut told me to do it and I quibbled over pennies, I hate that and usally don't do it.
Turtle beach makes some sweet gaming headphones.