Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Recently I've been watching full unedited clips from 2008 on CNBC, the day Bear stearns filed for bankruptcy and the days following it.

What I've learned is that nobody had any fucking clue what was happening or that it was happening. They literally had ads playing with single mothers saying how they couldn't believe they got approved for a mortgage and nobody had the foresight to be like "thats probably a bad sign."

I paid attention to little things like that, watching the tickers for the prices back then and how certain stocks reacted to bad news.

In trying to find videos like this I looked through the comments section of other videos and people have been expecting a market collapse every day since march of 2009 when prices got back to normalish, which im assuming markets still got a big boost from tax returns? Which are right around the corner, as well as our stimmy checks. If not from an actual influx of cash but just the "idea" of there being spending.

I still have a lot more research to do but I just find the most knowledge in the past, its rather hard to find info about normal news days than apocalyptic days, which are more useful for your weekly trading.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Websites, news, TV are worthless for any kind of meaningful info. For every person/article screaming the market crash is around the corner you have another person/article screaming "SP500 +xxx%". I've learned way more talking to people here and finding specific individuals on fintwit etc that are actually discussing things rather than pushing a narrative.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Websites, news, TV are worthless for any kind of meaningful info. For every person/article screaming the market crash is around the corner you have another person/article screaming "SP500 +xxx%". I've learned way more talking to people here and finding specific individuals on fintwit etc that are actually discussing things rather than pushing a narrative.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've only been actively (i.e. daily) trading since early Feb. I followed a bunch of people on fintwit and subscribed to a few Youtubers that seemed to know what they were talking about. I have a spreadsheet with the names and calls for each one so I could watch and evaluate their calls over time. I've already crossed 75% of them off my list. If they aren't trying to sell you some kind of "program" to help your gains, they are trying to get you to join their pump and dump. It's incredible how many of them brazenly try and recreate history with lies and deleted tweets to convince people they called some parabolic move before it happened.

I've paid my fair share of "market tuition" through losses over the last 6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll pay plenty more. Ironically, my only real money makers are positions I've had a hunch about and done my own DD and took a chance on. With maybe one or two exceptions, every time I've tried to follow the hype, I've lost money. So I've stopped trying to find the best accounts to follow and started trying to figure out how to make my own calls better. I still pay attention to the experienced/reliable traders because they help me learn, but I stopped blindly jumping on hype trains the "furus" promote.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Recently I've been watching full unedited clips from 2008 on CNBC, the day Bear stearns filed for bankruptcy and the days following it.

What I've learned is that nobody had any fucking clue what was happening or that it was happening. They literally had ads playing with single mothers saying how they couldn't believe they got approved for a mortgage and nobody had the foresight to be like "thats probably a bad sign."

I paid attention to little things like that, watching the tickers for the prices back then and how certain stocks reacted to bad news.

In trying to find videos like this I looked through the comments section of other videos and people have been expecting a market collapse every day since march of 2009 when prices got back to normalish, which im assuming markets still got a big boost from tax returns? Which are right around the corner, as well as our stimmy checks. If not from an actual influx of cash but just the "idea" of there being spending.

I still have a lot more research to do but I just find the most knowledge in the past, its rather hard to find info about normal news days than apocalyptic days, which are more useful for your weekly trading.
I have found the Big Short to be pretty accurate of why shit was able to be so fucked up back then. The answer is greed. Too Big To Fail is a pretty solid look also.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have found the Big Short to be pretty accurate of why shit was able to be so fucked up back then. The answer is greed. Too Big To Fail is a pretty solid look also.
And when to big to fail actually failed, it became a game of hot potato to them. Who could they sell it to next before people stopped buying?

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My brother actually wrote a book years ago on Order flow trading, not sure how many people here are/were active in the Forex market but...

The premise was that while technicals and fundamentals are one form of trading, you can have a lot of success playing off of these types of traders behavior, the behavior of traders is a lot easier to predict than what the market is going to do.

If a certain stock barely hits higher on a resistance line to hit peoples limit sells two or three times, more and more limit buys are going to collectively accrue above that resistance in the hope of "catching the wave" so to speak and if the market makers push through this barrier, you stand to gain significantly by expecting this behavior.

Im sure every hedge fund worth their salt knows this and then some, my goal is to find out other types of behaviors that I can exploit myself that is in league with this type of example.

When half the market is expecting the bottom to fall out with the talking heads beating the wardrums of interest rates, im sure you can expect a result when that interest rate does indeed do what the fed and washington keep pushing for it to do and CNBC will look like a doomers anonymous meeting when it happens.

Edit: also I would like to mention this is also why GME is so dangerous knowing that 95% of the available shares are held by institutions. You basically have millions of people openly telling you if the stock reaches $200 they are all going to pile on expecting to go to the moon...All they had to do was open the door for them and I think that door is to a slaughterhouse.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

2008 was easy to call.

I remember making a post on the FatWallet forums back in like 2005 or 2006 saying the housing market was going to blow up.

I think the surprise was the amount of "insurance" taken on each CMO. And that's really what made it bad. Without that, it just would've taken the housing market down. The fact that every bank was leveraged on top of each other was what fucked the entire economy.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My brother actually wrote a book years ago on Order flow trading, not sure how many people here are/were active in the Forex market but...

The premise was that while technicals and fundamentals are one form of trading, you can have a lot of success playing off of these types of traders behavior, the behavior of traders is a lot easier to predict than what the market is going to do.

If a certain stock barely hits higher on a resistance line to hit peoples limit sells two or three times, more and more limit buys are going to collectively accrue above that resistance in the hope of "catching the wave" so to speak and if the market makers push through this barrier, you stand to gain significantly by expecting this behavior.

Im sure every hedge fund worth their salt knows this and then some, my goal is to find out other types of behaviors that I can exploit myself that is in league with this type of example.

When half the market is expecting the bottom to fall out with the talking heads beating the wardrums of interest rates, im sure you can expect a result when that interest rate does indeed do what the fed and washington keep pushing for it to do and CNBC will look like a doomers anonymous meeting when it happens.

Edit: also I would like to mention this is also why GME is so dangerous knowing that 95% of the available shares are held by institutions. You basically have millions of people openly telling you if the stock reaches $200 they are all going to pile on expecting to go to the moon...All they had to do was open the door for them and I think that door is to a slaughterhouse.
You might enjoy reading Animal Spirits by Shiller and Akerloff. It's an easy read about behavioral finance.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
2008 was easy to call.

I remember making a post on the FatWallet forums back in like 2005 or 2006 saying the housing market was going to blow up.

I think the surprise was the amount of "insurance" taken on each CMO. And that's really what made it bad. Without that, it just would've taken the housing market down. The fact that every bank was leveraged on top of each other was what fucked the entire economy.
Synthetic CDOs ftw.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mexico legalizes weed, incase anyone has any weed stocks still. I have some SNDL but have covered calls on it.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep in mind, SNDL is a Canadian company. Legalization in USA or other countries doesn't necessarily mean weed companies in Canada benefit. Sure you may see some price sympathy momentum, but as legalization takes place in the US, I would prioritize investing in US based companies. Shipping weed across country borders is another thing altogether.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So how many people who own this "VALUE" index fund realize GAMESTOP is now their 2nd largest holding.

Capture.JPG

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 7 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
How is this even possible that GME meets the criteria to be included in that basket?

For many index funds based on the Russell have crazy amounts of GME, at this market cap it doesn't even belong until they rebalance. The run up though has caused all these index funds to increase their share counts. Dark side of index investing, you own EVERYTHING even shit you would never want to be involved with. Normally the garbage has such a low market cap nobody cares about it, when the garbage runs up a few thousand percent things can get a little messy. For example look at IWM yesterday during the GME decline. GME is a little nothing company and it shouldn't be able to move such a large index.

Now the hottest new ETFs are momentum driven, and soon if GME stays up they are going to be gobbling up even more of it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
LAZR
Luminar Unveils Industry’s First Full-Stack Autonomous System for Series Production with Zenseact

Luminar (LAZR) partners closely with Zenseact, a newly-formed 550-person software company owned by Volvo Cars, to deliver safe autonomy to both Volvo Cars and the larger automotive industry

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Luminar Technologies, Inc.(LAZR) (“Luminar”) , the global leader in automotive lidar hardware and software technology, today announced it has partnered closely with Zenseact to deliver autonomous software for series production vehicles. Volvo Cars is the first launch customer, representing both Luminar’s and Zenseact’s first production design win for software. Zenseact is a newly-formed 550-person team of top ADAS and autonomous software experts having uniquely developed software products in series production today.

Luminar’s new product suite, Sentinel, is the first full-stack autonomous solution for series production in the industry. It deeply integrates Zenseact’s OnePilot autonomous driving software solution alongside Luminar’s Iris lidar, perception software, and other components as a foundation, enabling every automaker to offer Highway Autonomy and Proactive SafetyTM capabilities on their production vehicles. While the wider autonomous industry largely focuses on robo-taxi applications, Luminar(LAZR) and Zenseact collectively remain focused on delivering systems into series production vehicles.

“Zenseact has greater experience in advanced ADAS and autonomous software for production vehicles than anyone I’ve seen in the industry, having decades of experience delivering to Volvo Cars and nearly a dozen other production programs,” said Austin Russell, Founder and CEO of Luminar(LAZR). “We are working together day in and out to deliver this comprehensive autonomous software solution for Volvo Cars, and now are making this solution available to the industry at large. For Luminar(LAZR), this is key in our transformation from a lidar provider to a software and systems company, enabling autonomy and improved vehicle safety to become ubiquitous.”

“The whole point of autonomous driving technology is to reduce accidents and save lives. This alliance enables us together to make that technology more broadly accessible and thus even more impactful,” said Ödgärd Andersson, CEO of Zenseact. “Early in Luminar’s journey I met Austin and the Luminar(LAZR) team, and realized we share the same vision of relentlessly developing the very best possible technology to save lives. We have collaborated ever since, and I continue to be impressed by the growing team of highly-skilled engineers and experts at Luminar(LAZR) and their uncompromising approach to increasing safety on roads.”

Zenseact is responsible for delivering its OnePilot software and Luminar’s perception software to Volvo Cars, while Luminar(LAZR) is responsible for providing the holistic Sentinel solution to other automakers.

Sentinel will equip global automakers with two core functionalities – Proactive SafetyTM and hands-off, eyes-off Highway Autonomy:

Proactive SafetyTM: For the first time, vehicles can proactively avoid collisions with evasive maneuvers, reducing accident rates by up to seven times. The most advanced camera-based ADAS systems today will attempt to reactively avoid collisions only in ideal conditions, in a straight line, and generally after the driver does not respond.

Highway autonomy: Hands-free, eyes-free true autonomous driving on highways – as opposed to the most advanced ADAS systems today, which require constant driver attention and system overrides at a moment’s notice, defeating the main purpose of autonomy – to recover the driver’s time and substantially improve vehicle safety.

Sentinel is powered in part by Zenseact's OnePilot software, which helps provide a single user experience throughout the user’s journey. OnePilot continuously assesses the surroundings to enable autonomous highway driving. OnePilot also provides the driver with useful information and warnings and may intervene by overriding controls to make sure the user has a safe journey.

Sentinel also incorporates over-the-air updates to expand the operating domain of autonomy and further improve safety of vehicles over time.

About Luminar Technologies(LAZR)

Luminar (LAZR) is an autonomous vehicle sensor and software company with the vision to make autonomy safe and ubiquitous by delivering the only lidar and associated software that meets the industry’s stringent performance, safety, and economic requirements. Luminar(LAZR) has rapidly gained over 50 industry partners, including 7 of the top 10 global automakers. Earlier this year, Luminar(LAZR) signed the industry’s first production deal for autonomous consumer vehicles with Volvo Cars, while also recently striking deals with Daimler Truck AG and Intel’s Mobileye. Luminar(LAZR) has also received minority investments from the world’s largest commercial vehicle manufacturer, Daimler Truck AG, and Volvo Cars, a global leader in automotive safety, to accelerate the introduction of autonomous trucks and cars at highway speed. Founded in 2012, Luminar(LAZR) is a nearly 400-person team with offices in Palo Alto, Orlando, Colorado Springs, Detroit, and Munich. For more information please visit www.luminartech.com.

About Zenseact

• 1Like