Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
if this rotation carries on (no view), the ARKk dynamic will be worth watching: they own a large chunk of the float in some of these stocks and I think there are some instances of cross holdings of ETFs (e.g. One ETF owns another, in size).

doubt that it’s a “big” problem but could definitely cause some funky trading in names that are some combination of: very highly/over values & not that liquid...
I may end up missing some nice Alpha, but my spider sense keeps tingling when I think about buying into Cathy.

Seds

Trakanon Raider
So, I can’t do single name stocks, but if I could my play would be to identify the ones she owns that I really believed in, and be in the market with some limit buys on them. Potentially with a couple of tranches a bunch lower in the event of a flash crash type event

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, I can’t do single name stocks, but if I could my play would be to identify the ones she owns that I really believed in, and be in the market with some limit buys on them. Potentially with a couple of tranches a bunch lower in the event of a flash crash type event
Yeah Blazin Blazin mentioned this previously. Look for quality stocks she ends up dumping if redemptions force her hand.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Another day in Cathy-ville. The daily transaction logs should be mandatory for every fund everywhere so investors can get transparency. Cathy sold 600k shares of SPCE yesterday after a month of declines. Investing 101, cut your losers short. Chamath dumped his entire SPCE position and destroyed the stock but she kept holding it while it kept sinking to sub-20 and THEN she sells.

I'm not taking away how much she made for some people last year, but... pretty much anyone could generate great returns in 2020 if they had cash to invest in Feb/Mar and didn't sell at the bottom. Our board is proof of that. 2021 returns are going to be a different test.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
She is another Elizabeth Holmes.
I dont go that far. I like the theory of investing in what may be the companies of the future. Its a good strategy. But she acts like a day trader and she overpays for some of these companies. The advantage to buying some companies with a very long time horizon is to get them on the cheap. Not buying COIN at $400.

If she we a white male Jew from Brooklyn she would never get on CNBC or every talked about. But she is the Female Wunderkind of Wall Street.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I dont go that far. I like the theory of investing in what may be the companies of the future. Its a good strategy. But she acts like a day trader and she overpays for some of these companies. The advantage to buying some companies with a very long time horizon is to get them on the cheap. Not buying COIN at $400.

If she we a white male Jew from Brooklyn she would never get on CNBC or every talked about. But she is the Female Wunderkind of Wall Street.
And all that hype will push her to do more and more to stay in the spotlight. She might not end up committing fraud but she will crash and burn in an epic way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And all that hype will push her to do more and more to stay in the spotlight. She might not end up committing fraud but she will crash and burn in an epic way.
As long as I can find a way to profit from her demise, I am all in.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Getting big wins in the market comes down to luck or manipulation most of the time.

When an investing celebrity pops up, it's usually safe to be highly skeptical. If they say something I like I might even respond to it in my investments, but usually not. Looks like this fund has had mostly mediocre performance for the past 6 years, but struck hot iron by holding a lot of TSLA during the year of the TSLA surge. It happens sometimes. Looking at it, I don't think this will implode or anything like that. It'll probably just stagnate, like it's been doing for the past 6 months. My goal is what's important to me long term, and I'm ahead of the game. Chasing money is probably the biggest mistake I could make.

Not a chance I'd give my money to that fund.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Am want

1620604294119.png

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Expected to be down on the day when I opened up my account, but I'm nicely into new highs. My boomer/dividend ETFs have been doing pretty bigly.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Expected to be down on the day when I opened up my account, but I'm nicely into new highs. My boomer/dividend ETFs have been doing pretty bigly.
The value rotation is in high gear. HD with its habitual new 52-high again today.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For anyone looking for entry points in tech, now is the time to be checking the charts on your favorite stocks and planning entry points with the assumption this rotation continues for a bit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL bounced off the 100-DMA again today. As long as that support holds AAPL should carry Tech. It it breaks down below the 100-DMA expect another 3-4% drop over the next couple of days as it drops down to the 200-DMA and the long-term support line. Whither goes AAPL, so goes Tech.

1620673496726.png