Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another AMC squeeze into the close here. $16.25 and gaining (price and volume)

• 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ran the numbers on the 16yr period from 1966-1981 and for this 16yr period the S&P had an avg return of just 3.21%. And that is a far shittier 3.21% than it first appears, it's a 3.21% during a period of very high and persistent inflation. Anyone who invested in the S&P during this 16yr period (a good chunk of an entire career or an entire retirement) would have had their ass handed to them in real return after inflation. If alternate universe Furry was 50 in 1966 with his retirement plan, it would be completely shot to shit for almost 2 decades.

If you invested $100/yr during the entire period you would eek out a 27.16% cumulative return (that 1.7%/yr for the period) . I could keep showing more periods but I can save them, as I'm sure we'll have plenty more "you always make money.." posts in the future. Just remind me to cover new periods next time I get triggered by it.

I’m a firm believer in prepping for the worst, which is why my plan includes the potential of not touching my money for 10 years. On top of that I calculated what I’d want in retirement based on a worse case scenario of my investments basically treading inflation for retirement, and in that specific example they still beat inflation, if marginally. If inflation gets that out of wack I’ll probably reconsider my methods as well. This is also why I consider my house a valuable part of my retirement plan, as a diversified asset.

I’ll keep money in the market because if you randomly pick the start and end of 10 or 15 year timespans it’ll probably be a win, but nothing is a sure bet with money. If things go to shit I’ll be okay. If things go really good I’ll be free to splurge more.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is Cathie Wood the Rajaah Rajaah of Wall Street?

Well, I also got Virgin Galactic Holdings. Back in January, and then it immediately proceeded to suuuuuuck. No diamondhandsing on that one for me, gave up on it in early April IIRC. NOTE: Since it was an early learning the ropes investment, I only put $100 on it.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Edit: Oops, was a post meant for crypto forum. Here's a meme instead:

1621985712197.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
40% of BRK in 1 stock. 75% in 5 stocks. That is some serious diversification Warren. Fucker owns like 5% of AAPL.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
40% of BRK in 1 stock. 75% in 5 stocks. That is some serious diversification Warren. Fucker owns like 5% of AAPL.

To be honest when I saw his 13F the other week I thought I was misreading due to the amount of AAPL. (it's unchanged I just wasn't ever aware it was that crazy!)

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
COIN tracking up with BTC. It makes no sense really that they are connected since COIN make's their money whether you buy or sell your crypto. Shrug. It is back to near reference price pre-market.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
COIN tracking up with BTC. It makes no sense really that they are connected since COIN make's their money whether you buy or sell your crypto. Shrug. It is back to near reference price pre-market.

Thankful, since I bought into them when the whole sector shit the bed a week or two ago. Its funny that the crypto mining companies act similar.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone own or have a strong opinion on NFLX? I bought some on the dip as a quick flip and I just can't find a reason why this is a long term hold for me. I honestly think most analyst on this stock are full of shit. Anyone think this is a stock to own for 20 years?