Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm old enough to have traded during the dotcom bust.

1629910639581.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
What are you investing in? Literally, you are looking for one other buyer to be more foolish. One day, someone is going to wake up and realize its a $4 a share stock. It will tumble like dominoes. Do you really want to be in a position when that happens?

I'm old enough to have traded during the dotcom bust. History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes. I actually lived in Austin at the time and saw firsthand people losing money hand over fist because the valuations didn't make any sense. I know a guy who had 100M and lost it. One day, the market woke up and everyone decided the "new way" of valuation wasn't working. Only no one sent him the memo, and his dumbass lost almost all of it.

I'd rather sit here and make 1-2% a week and not lose sleep over what I'm holding.

If there's no rationale on what I'm holding, I don't hold it.

View attachment 369076
The thing is though the Apes aren't selling, and no ones losing any sleep over it. We as the retail investor own the float. This is a fuck you to the hedge funds trying to short another business to death. Sure you'll have the paper hands along the way, but they are constantly being shook out, and more apes are picking up those shares. It costs us all nothing to hold, yet that short interest rate is looking a little rough. Also, I just like the stock!

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What are you investing in? Literally, you are looking for one other buyer to be more foolish. One day, someone is going to wake up and realize its a $4 a share stock. It will tumble like dominoes. Do you really want to be in a position when that happens?
Haven't we established over the past year that logic has absolutely nothing to do with the markets. There's people throwing thousands of dollars at digital cards that look like someone's highschool project over in the bitcoin thread. We are entering an era of mass insanity that is probably worse than the famous tulip craze.

That's why my investment plan at the moment is spread my money wide and just hold onto the beast. Trying to attach the future to logic is probably not a sane plan at the moment, as much sense as that makes.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The thing is though the Apes aren't selling, and no ones losing any sleep over it. We as the retail investor own the float. This is a fuck you to the hedge funds trying to short another business to death. Sure you'll have the paper hands along the way, but they are constantly being shook out, and more apes are picking up those shares. It costs us all nothing to hold, yet that short interest rate is looking a little rough. Also, I just like the stock!
Full disclosure: I flipped AMC for a 100% gain early on.

It costs you a lot to hold. Its opportunity cost. The money just sitting spinning in circles in AMC could have been in WYNN, ABBV, AMD etc and making profits.

Whether you hold it or not is immaterial to me. But do understand you are assuming risk (it is over-valued and a waterfall event can fuck you) while not making money only to "stick it to the hedge funds". This isn't investing, its activism. Which is fine, but dont confuse the two.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't we established over the past year that logic has absolutely nothing to do with the markets. There's people throwing thousands of dollars at digital cards that look like someone's highschool project over in the bitcoin thread. We are entering an era of mass insanity that is probably worse than the famous tulip craze.

That's why my investment plan at the moment is spread my money wide and just hold onto the beast. Trying to attach the future to logic is probably not a sane plan at the moment, as much sense as that makes.

If there's no logic, I don't do it, whether its in my businesses or in my trading. If there is no rationale, it isn't worth anything.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Opportunity cost is the most expensive cost there is.

Like I said, I owned it at 4 and sold it at 7.7. When there was no logic behind the pricing, I got out. I traded it twice, and didn't like the volatility. It was the only stock I ever traded that you could lose $400 on a day trade and still be in a green channel. It's very hard to trade a stock with 25% volatility.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, listening to Cramer's call for actionalerts, he came out strongly for MA and WYNN. He threw out a trade idea to sell CRM now, and buy it after earnings, since it tends to tank. But he said that the big boys think we get a relief rally for the next week, the 10 year starts to rise, and then inflation worries for the first half of September. Right after the call, the 10 year rose.

Will we start to see some jitters on Friday AM, before the Fed has its meeting?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, listening to Cramer's call for actionalerts, he came out strongly for MA and WYNN. He threw out a trade idea to sell CRM now, and buy it after earnings, since it tends to tank. But he said that the big boys think we get a relief rally for the next week, the 10 year starts to rise, and then inflation worries for the first half of September. Right after the call, the 10 year rose.

Will we start to see some jitters on Friday AM, before the Fed has its meeting?
Jackson Hole is almost always a "who the fuck knows" event.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cramer also likes F. I have basically ignored car manufacturers, but based on what he said I will keep an eye on it if it drifts down toward a support level.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wish I had a time machine so I could have bought more MSGE. Up 12.21% for me overall in like a week.

Since I made that trade last week:

ALK: -.53%
EXPE: -2.44
JETS: +5.23
LVS: +6.44
LYV: +4.07
MA: +1.43
MCS: +1.04
MSGE: +12.21
NCLH: +2.34
RCL: +4.83
TRIP: +1.76
UAL: +1.42

I think the covid vaccine relief trade is just starting, but I sincerely doubt these are long term for me.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So no one's mentioned it, but we briefly hit 4500 today.

The peak prior to covid was about 3300, and we hit that again around a year ago. Since then we've stacked another 1200 points with barely any down days.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cramer also likes F. I have basically ignored car manufacturers, but based on what he said I will keep an eye on it if it drifts down toward a support level.
My shares of GM are up 47.84%. I believe that was one of his pics...he told us to get out, I disagreed and stayed.

Just bought more Ford this AM.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My shares of GM are up 47.84%. I believe that was one of his pics...he told us to get out, I disagreed and stayed.

Just bought more Ford this AM.
I owned GM a number of years ago. Just finished the call. It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be a quick 5 minute buy this/sell that. It was impressive in the depth they went in to.