Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Put it this way, I ended the year canceling out all my gains from the first few months of 2021 and being down 10k or so after that. Why did I continue to take the loss after canceling out all my short (and long) term 2021 gains? Because I read you can apply 3k a year to your regular (work) income too and carry it forward.

I think I was down something like 11 percent for the year, while the S/P was up what? 22 percent? Horrible, and its because I miscalculated travel plays and (because of early year success) kept chasing reddit meme stocks.

Oh, and I was heavy into margin so did not have the luxury to just keep waiting forever.
Wowser

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I am starting to do the napkin math (not really my numbers are pretty accurate) for our taxes this year. The K1's will be the hardest to get a really good estimate on. Last year after we filed in April I took what we owed in taxes for 2020 and dropped it into my brokerage account and bought FTEC with it and just let it sit all year unmolested. Still have a few months until I need it but it has so far returned 16% with dividend reinvestment. So instead of the gubmint getting an interest free loan from me all year, I made 16% on the money since April. I dont really mind writing the check each year because seeing my return takes the sting out of it (even knowing I pay taxes on that gain the following year)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a buddy that had a cruise scheduled a couple weeks from now. The cruise companies themselves are implementing all kinds of shit still. Masks, daily tests, constant temperature checks. They canceled it last week, didn’t want to deal with that shit during a vacation.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, who the fuck would want to be treated like a hospital patient on a daily basis for some cheap buffet and norovirus.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a buddy that had a cruise scheduled a couple weeks from now. The cruise companies themselves are implementing all kinds of shit still. Masks, daily tests, constant temperature checks. They canceled it last week, didn’t want to deal with that shit during a vacation.
We had one scheduled for April. Told RCL to go fuck themselves. Guess I wont make diamond status after all.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was thinking about one for my family too, figured the kids would be over the moon but i also dont have the patience for that kind of shit anymore. It becomes more stress. The entire point of the cruise is to let the kids go crazy with all the activities while mom and me sit and have pinda coladas

Ill wait till they are done with the nonsense before i go again. For now i just toss in more ski trips or some other outdoor vacation

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was thinking about one for my family too, figured the kids would be over the moon but i also dont have the patience for that kind of shit anymore. It becomes more stress. The entire point of the cruise is to let the kids go crazy with all the activities while mom and me sit and have pinda coladas

Ill wait till they are done with the nonsense before i go again. For now i just toss in more ski trips or some other outdoor vacation
I figure at this point going forward we will just fly to islands we like such as Bermuda, St Thomas etc.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
It's all fun and games until the kids fall over the side, or if a 100% tested and vaxxed cruise ship comes back to port early because 90% ended up getting the bat sniffles 4 days out.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's all fun and games until the kids fall over the side, or if a 100% tested and vaxxed cruise ship comes back to port early because 90% ended up getting the bat sniffles 4 days out.
It's been happening. Ports if entry have been denying entry due to fully vaxxed ships having outbreaks.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That face when you are winder what the fuck is up with the futures... and then realize markets are closed tomorrow.

lauren lapkus GIF by The Orchard Films

• 1Rustled
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Damn and I was going to take a sizable position tomorrow. This holiday is a real dream killer.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I did some theorcrafting with FTEC today. Looking at things like how deep the drop was from high to breach of the 100 DMA and how many days it stayed below the DMA before recovering. Of course it probably means nothing but I think we should see a recovery back above the 100 DMA this week if the last year's trends hold. That low of $124.70 last week is in line percentage-wise of the previous drops below the 100.

Or... it could plunge to $100. Who knows.

• 1Triggered
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't even know it was a holiday. Of course it's not celebrated here in MS for some reason.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't even know it was a holiday. Of course it's not celebrated here in MS for some reason.
I’m not sure anyone actually celebrates it. Federal gives the day off and random work places do.

Our company took away one of our paid time off days so they could make it a holiday…but they make everyone work. The hourly workers get holiday pay and the salary people generally get fucked unless they have a cool boss/role that doesn’t force them to be online. It’s pretty fucking stupid.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This should help V come tomorrow...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
On diversity... and not the Mike Brown kind.

Ever notice how most of all the major indexes all seem to move the same way? There is a reason for that. Its called the basket of holdings. At the end of the day, if you are indexing all your are doing basically is deciding how heavy you want your AAPL and MSFT positions to be. QQQ lacks BRK and JPM. There are some other differences (the sector ETFs obviously only hold the sector stocks) but in general you are buying the same 8-10 stocks in different weights. The other real difference is the number of holdings in the ETF. The SPY obviously has 500 and the QQQ 100. In reality, how much AAPL/MSFT do you want?

1642431943681.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users