Investing General Discussion

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
Understanding the market and being a good mentor are not mutually exclusive. The person who gaslight me into this nonsense was a personally successful Trader, but an enormously dogshit teacher.

Part of the issue is it's very easy to just say "Well you made the trades - your fault." But that does nothing to help guide / mentor. This shit is seriously challenging. Unless you're willing to really help someone out the best advice might not be the one you think.

For me as an example the best financial advice I could've received was to avoid the market. This is not true for everyone but true for myself (especially if my "mentor" was going to fuck off and leave me in the deep end with my thumb up my ass.)

My worthless 2 cents.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's fucking retarded.

Go back and read posts in a thread from the guy who doesn't write 80% of what he could and that's like taking a class from him?

Blazin isn't offering classes my man, what you get is what he is willing to put into words here, if thats not good enough, I don't know what to tell you. All you have to do is ask and it seems like hes pretty receptive to helping, among others.

The thing is, he and others have gone over this shit a lot already. Support levels and good companies, portfolio proportions, pretty much every fuckin trade hes made is published and the reasons behind them.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Blazin isn't offering classes my man, what you get is what he is willing to put into words here, if thats not good enough, I don't know what to tell you. All you have to do is ask and it seems like hes pretty receptive to helping, among others.

The thing is, he and others have gone over this shit a lot already. Support levels and good companies, portfolio proportions, pretty much every fuckin trade hes made is published and the reasons behind them.

You're an idiot.

• 1Rustled

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Basically get a series of books that cover fundamental analysis + accounting, technical analysis, market psychology, market history, Austrian Economics, and indexing philosophy. Then read every Warren Buffett letter from his hedge fund days in the 50s to present because he gives in real time examples of combining all of these things to evaluate investments (minus technical analysis).

Just sit on S&P500 indexes until you’ve done all these things IMO. I’ve done em all and still suck.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Its not an especially easy area for newcomers to learn. I am very grateful for this resource and not complaining, but just to explain what I mean - sometimes the words of wisdom from our resident experts look pretty cryptic to the uninitiated.

As an example, Sanriths response to Zog about the QQQ stuff - I have to look up about half the phrases in his post to figure out what he's talking about. (still working on that one)

It feels like being a grad student again, reading papers and underlining half the terms so I can go look them up. Its actually pretty fun and making money along the way makes it even more fun. But theres a learning curve here for sure and its not always easy to talk across different levels of experience.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Has zog reached rajaah levels of predictive outcome by choosing the opposite position?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its not an especially easy area for newcomers to learn. I am very grateful for this resource and not complaining, but just to explain what I mean - sometimes the words of wisdom from our resident experts look pretty cryptic to the uninitiated.

As an example, Sanriths response to Zog about the QQQ stuff - I have to look up about half the phrases in his post to figure out what he's talking about. (still working on that one)

It feels like being a grad student again, reading papers and underlining half the terms so I can go look them up. Its actually pretty fun and making money along the way makes it even more fun. But theres a learning curve here for sure and its not always easy to talk across different levels of experience.

Look man its not that hard. You buy at the 8/21 ma cross and then sell half at the 1st 61.8% fib sequence and hold some in hopes that it reaches the 2nd fib. Then from there watch consolidation until a bull pennant or bullish englufing pattern emerges, otherwise you go short if you have a death cross.

• 5Worf
  • 3Double Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Look man its not that hard. You buy at the 8/21 ma cross and then sell half at the 1st 61.8% fib sequence and hold some in hopes that it reaches the 2nd fib. Then from there watch consolidation until a bull pennant or bullish englufing pattern emerges, otherwise you go short if you have a death cross.

Entries are much easier for me to spot than exits.

Except, ya know, all that shit I bought a couple of months ago.

• 1Worf

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has zog reached rajaah levels of predictive outcome by choosing the opposite position?
I made money on tqq for the initial run up and got out, was caught off guard by the absolute frenzy. To be fair I have a decent win/loss for the year but that trade I let go way too far.

Had I not sold my $41 TQQQ position until a proper confirmation and not tried to scalp in a "bear market" id be on cloud 9.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You know you’ve probably spent too much time looking at numbers and not enough time doing other things, if you read that and thought “maybe, but simple enough of an idea.”

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I made money on tqq for the initial run up and got out, was caught off guard by the absolute frenzy. To be fair I have a decent win/loss for the year but that trade I let go way too far.

Had I not sold my $41 TQQQ position until a proper confirmation and not tried to scalp in a "bear market" id be on cloud 9.
to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

We have a forum for that. :p

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think the real challenge people face coming in here is that they are trying to grasp possibly complex stuff in the middle of the conversation. By this I mean, everything getting discussed today has been broken down to the elementary level of explanation at some time in the past in this thread over the last 2 years. Its the number one reason I suggest people go back to the Corona Black Monday posts and begin there.

I know I have personally posted various posts with theory and practical application links and why you should go begin there. Most likely at some point someone should gather all those resources from various posters and put it together in a sticky thread of "the vault of knowledge" or some shit.

ps.. I still go and look up terms and acronyms I havent seen before nearly daily.

TLDR: Welcome to Investing. If it was easy everyone here would be Scrooge McDuck.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
I think the real challenge people face coming in here is that they are trying to grasp possibly complex stuff in the middle of the conversation. By this I mean, everything getting discussed today has been broken down to the elementary level of explanation at some time in the past in this thread over the last 2 years.
I mean theres also separate classes of people. Some folks literally have been in it less than a year, so you're talking about them for sure.

But then folks like me who have been at it a year, read some books, but still struggle. I am beginning to accept I may suck for many years to come.

It's precisely why I think blindly telling people to get into investing is... bad financial advice. I (and others) should pick stocks up on their own out of their own interest or passion. Failure will likely lead to my path.

My worthless 2 cents.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's precisely why I think blindly telling people to get into investing is... bad financial advice. I (and others) should pick stocks up on their own out of their own interest or passion. Failure will likely lead to my path.

My worthless 2 cents.
This has been stated here dozens upon dozens of times. The quote is something along the lines of "95% of investors should put all their money in index funds and look at it once or twice a year."

• 3Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
This has been stated here dozens upon dozens of times. The quote is something along the lines of "95% of investors should put all their money in index funds and look at it once or twice a year."
Yeah and guess what? I wasnt told that financial advice. Ill bitch and whine endlessly because at 10% per year I've been set behind to the tune of 5 to 10 years. That is fucking absurd.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This is 99% of my investing activity, for all that I read here fairly regularly as social infotainment. I know perfectly well I don't have the daily discipline to collect and act on all the necessary information, so I don't dabble. It's worked out just fine.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Clown World
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
  • 3Like