Investing General Discussion

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont follow the market all that closely, but I used to years ago.

What is a basic TLDR on why the market continues to rip up when there is not a single positive piece of economic data out there.

Middle class is getting ripped to shreds, inflation is killing everyone, gas is the highest in history, food shortages, supply chain problems, small business closing left and right...on and on..

Yet the market jusr keeps going up.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

What is a basic TLDR on why the market continues to rip up when there is not a single positive piece of economic data out there.

Middle class is getting ripped to shreds, inflation is killing everyone, gas is the highest in history, food shortages, supply chain problems, small business closing left and right...on and on..

Ask 10 people, get 10 answers. And none may be right. My theory?
Cash sucks with inflation, so no one wants to hold it. Shitty economic numbers makes some think the Fed will blink and slow rate hikes (as they hope inflation magically disappears). This means big tech will benefit. The most influential stocks for indexes are big tech. Big tech are viewed as "safe investments" because they have bulletproof balance sheets. Finally the sell down has lowered PE ratios (if you believe in such things) on big tech down to 10 year lows. FB had a PE lower than it's EPS.

So.. people are buying big tech and that is boosting the indexes.

Or I am totally wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Keeps going up? What are you talking about? We are off to one of the worst first halves in history….

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
*looks at total gains this year*

what da fuck?

I.realize people are making gains. I was more asking why all the positive gains, when there is no positive data to support it.

I remember when the market couldnt pass 270 to save its life , no mattwr what amazing data was out...the mere.mention of " trade war " and the markets would drop. Now you literally cant buy anything anymore, earnings are absymal, and yet markets still soaring.

• 1Slow
  • 1Picard

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I.realize people are making gains. I was more asking why all the positive gains, when there is no positive data to support it.

I remember when the market couldnt pass 270 to save its life , no mattwr what amazing data was out...the mere.mention of " trade war " and the markets would drop. Now you literally cant buy anything anymore, earnings are absymal, and yet markets still soaring.
KInda cool how this thread has become a portal of sorts between our universe and the one you're living in.

• 2Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Everyday I check my portfolio then go outside and rip a tree out of the ground in a fit of rage. Then I bench press it 20 times. Making sick gains

• 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 user

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
It was way down over the last 6 months. This is only like 8 days of bullishness so far on the bounce. Even bear markets don’t go down in a straight line and some of these major stocks were and still are like 40%+ off their highs. It honestly could have been the bottom for some of these companies.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Everyday I check my portfolio then go outside and rip a tree out of the ground in a fit of rage. Then I bench press it 20 times. Making sick gains
I think of my portfolio the way new guys were told how to think about Vietnam. Instead of saying I have X days until I rotate home, they told them to say I have X days in country. Much better to say I have 25 days in versus I have 340 to go.

So I say to myself my portfolio is up 17% from it's low a month ago. It's better than saying I'm still down 16% from the high.

Life is perspective.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think of my portfolio the way new guys were told how to think about Vietnam. Instead of saying I have X days until I rotate home, they told them to say I have X days in country. Much better to say I have 25 days in versus I have 340 to go.

So I say to myself my portfolio is up 17% from it's low a month ago. It's better than saying I'm still down 16% from the high.

Life is perspective.

I prefer just to not log into Fidelity at all.

I'll have more cash to invest in two days and I'm salty the QQQ isn't pinging the high 270's.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fucking awesome Elon.. haha!

03:02 [TSLA] *CEO MUSK PAUSES ALL HIRING WORLDWIDE; NEED TO MAKE ABOUT 10% REDUCTION IN STAFF - PRESS CITING EMAIL STATEMENT
- Musk reportedly states he has 'a super bad feeling about the economy'

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fucking awesome Elon.. haha!

03:02 [TSLA] *CEO MUSK PAUSES ALL HIRING WORLDWIDE; NEED TO MAKE ABOUT 10% REDUCTION IN STAFF - PRESS CITING EMAIL STATEMENT
- Musk reportedly states he has 'a super bad feeling about the economy'
Who do you trust more on the economy, Musk or Yellin?

fris

Vyemm Raider
working for a large company, i kinda welcome a 10% work force reduction. on almost any team, there's 10% dirtbags that work just hard enough not to get fired. give them a package and send them to early retirement. company can re-spend that budget in 12 months on new people. as long as the layoffs are a small % and smart, company comes out ok.

I know leaders that keep trash budget just so there's easy things to cut when a reduction comes.

long as my leader isn't counting on me being part of his easy reduction right?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
working for a large company, i kinda welcome a 10% work force reduction. on almost any team, there's 10% dirtbags that work just hard enough not to get fired. give them a package and send them to early retirement. company can re-spend that budget in 12 months on new people. as long as the layoffs are a small % and smart, company comes out ok.

I know leaders that keep trash budget just so there's easy things to cut when a reduction comes.

long as my leader isn't counting on me being part of his easy reduction right?
It will be interesting to see if this work force reduction only takes place in Cali or if it is spread evenly. It might be him just dumping headcount in shithole California.

Oldbased

> Than U
I sort of get Blazins point. Consdering EVERYTHING the market should be down to 20k DJI and everything frozen and people jumping from windows in NY just like the good ole days. Instead it is still high from recent years. It should have burned down and taken everyone with it.
It's like the Feds and WH are trying to light wet wood. It just won't die.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Musk is just a memelord at this point.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

• 1Thoughts & Prayers