Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I am wondering if we are seeing the bigs doing accelerated buybacks looking at the new tax on buybacks coming.
Nothing like that matters, news doesn't matter, fed doesn't matter, buybacks don't matter, at least not directly and never more than sentiment. Sentiment is what moves markets. Nothing can override it or overcome it.

But human sentiment is finicky and can change quickly. THe chart and data in front of us does not yet confirm if this cyclical bear is over BUT we aren't going to have to wait long to find out from here.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nothing like that matters, news doesn't matter, fed doesn't matter, buybacks don't matter, at least not directly and never more than sentiment. Sentiment is what moves markets. Nothing can override it or overcome it.

But human sentiment is finicky and can change quickly. THe chart and data in front of us does not yet confirm if this cyclical bear is over BUT we aren't going to have to wait long to find out from here.

All we really need you to tell us is if the market is flat or spherical. Are you a flat marketer Blazin?

• 1Jonesing

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All we really need you to tell us is if the market is flat or spherical. Are you a flat marketer Blazin?
1660236406428.png

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SPX appears to have clear sky up to about 4,328. So about 2% upside from its current position to the 200-DMA?

• 1To the Moon!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL is en fuego. 7% to set a new 52-high.

edit: close to filling the gap.

1660330741061.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
In a few weeks I'll be be in charge of a small, volunteer non profit organization. We have a 501c3 status. We have about $40k in savings due to some fundraising events before the pandemic. These events won't resume in the future. Our annual expenditures roughly equal what we take in a year, there are no significant costs expected over the next few years. This $40k has basically sat in a checking account for the past 3 years. I'd like to do something with this money. Timeline for needing money is between 4-8 years from now. But most likely closer to the 8 year mark or even further down the line.

What I'm looking for is some resources for non-profit investment. Quick google search just leads me to some investment services that I'm not really interested in at this time. Initially thinking I just open a brokerage account for this org and then invest? I Not sure if the timeline should have me doing like SPY/VOO or maybe some high dividend stuff like QYLD or JEPI? I do not know much about I bonds, should I be looking at those? I'm fairly certain we would make it past 5 years before needing this money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In a few weeks I'll be be in charge of a small, volunteer non profit organization. We have a 501c3 status. We have about $40k in savings due to some fundraising events before the pandemic. These events won't resume in the future. Our annual expenditures roughly equal what we take in a year, there are no significant costs expected over the next few years. This $40k has basically sat in a checking account for the past 3 years. I'd like to do something with this money. Timeline for needing money is between 4-8 years from now. But most likely closer to the 8 year mark or even further down the line.

What I'm looking for is some resources for non-profit investment. Quick google search just leads me to some investment services that I'm not really interested in at this time. Initially thinking I just open a brokerage account for this org and then invest? I Not sure if the timeline should have me doing like SPY/VOO or maybe some high dividend stuff like QYLD or JEPI? I do not know much about I bonds, should I be looking at those? I'm fairly certain we would make it past 5 years before needing this money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Non-profits open brokerage accounts using the same form as a business to open an account with Fidelity (just check a different box). Personally, i would keep it very simple with the IVV or some other form of the SPY that has dividend reinvestment. It is what I am doing with our charity.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Unexpectedly is such a funny word.

In grade school, kids would try to avoid embarrassment by claiming "I meant to do that!"

For some reason when those same kids grow up they try avoid embarrassment by claiming the exact opposite. "I had no idea this was coming!"

Which always raises the question for me, if you are so surprised by this, why do you have a job writing about the market?

-- with that said, since this is bad news, we will undoubtedly reach for new ATH as "clever" investors play Vizzini with the news and congratulate themselves on their cleverness

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I own 1000+ shares in a shitty biotech company that recently announced a merger but apparently breached fiduciary duty. The stock is a dog that I wish I never bought for a day trade that never materialized

Now multiple law firms are looking for investors to represent on a contingency basis

This is one of them, there are like 2-3 more.

My question is whether its worth participating in these, what do you get if you do, and what usually happens?

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I own 1000+ shares in a shitty biotech company that recently announced a merger but apparently breached fiduciary duty. The stock is a dog that I wish I never bought for a day trade that never materialized

Now multiple law firms are looking for investors to represent on a contingency basis

This is one of them, there are like 2-3 more.

My question is whether its worth participating in these, what do you get if you do, and what usually happens?
"Generally" the only people who make money in a class action are the lawyers. So the math tends to work like this.. 10,000 members of the class. Lawyer negotiates settlement of $10m. Lawyer takes 30-40%. The rest is split by the members of the class action who join. This is very simplified but generally class action members get jack shit compared to the lawyers.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
"Generally" the only people who make money in a class action are the lawyers. So the math tends to work like this.. 10,000 members of the class. Lawyer negotiates settlement of $10m. Lawyer takes 30-40%. The rest is split by the members of the class action who join. This is very simplified but generally class action members get jack shit compared to the lawyers.
I’ve gotten some free credit monitoring and like 10 dollar do-dads from class lawsuits before. It was worth it for me.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I’ve gotten some free credit monitoring and like 10 dollar do-dads from class lawsuits before. It was worth it for me.

Ill add my name to the lawsuit and keep you abreast of all the exciting developments.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We got like $700 or so from a diamond settlement a while back, from my wife's wedding rings.

Also got like $30 from the milk settlement!

I think my wife also got maybe $200 from some settlement in Illinois against Facebook in the last year.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Which is why most people are better buying an index. Just because you get it right once doesn't mean you know what's going to happen.

Maybe there's a big crash coming, or maybe we've already seen the bottom.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Which is why most people are better buying an index. Just because you get it right once doesn't mean you know what's going to happen.

Maybe there's a big crash coming, or maybe we've already seen the bottom.
The thing I am watching today is market breadth which is shit. only 50% of stocks are green today and VIX has been up all day.