Investing General Discussion

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If it wasn't for ATT refusing to allow my OnePlus 3 to connect to their network, I would still be using it today. I think it was 6 or 7 years old when it went obsolete due to ATT dropping 3G coverage.
I still have the majority of the older phones Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I have retired over the last 10-12 years in a drawer in my desk and most still work. I keep one without a sim in it in my trunk, since if I'm on a roadtrip and someone steals my phone or there's an emergency, you can still make 911 calls on a phone without a sim.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
so people can have an "I only need to charge it once a week" phone.
that phone already exists, and has for many years

it also has another awesome feature not available on iPhone 14 - you can hang up by closing the phone and pick up by opening the phone. cutting fucking edge

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
that phone already exists, and has for many years

it also has another awesome feature not available on iPhone 14 - you can hang up by closing the phone and pick up by opening the phone. cutting fucking edge
How would people know I’m better than them if I used that though?

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd still use a flip phone if I didn't need 4 different MFA authenticators, Teams and Outlook on my phone that has to be with me at all times.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'd still use a flip phone if I didn't need 4 different MFA authenticators, Teams and Outlook on my phone that has to be with me at all times.
No, you're missing it, having a flip phone is the protection against this. Anytime some mark of the beast loving asshole tries to get me to download an MFA app I can just hold up my phone and say "sorry, you'll need to find another option".

Cant help you with the other shit but not having access to that shit on my person at all times is one of the big reasons I'll never own a smartphone.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, you're missing it, having a flip phone is the protection against this. Anytime some mark of the beast loving asshole tries to get me to download an MFA app I can just hold up my phone and say "sorry, you'll need to find another option".

Cant help you with the other shit but not having access to that shit on my person at all times is one of the big reasons I'll never own a smartphone.
I had an employee try the "i have a dumb phone so i cant download an MFA" schtick. I smiled and said ok, here is your company assigned cellphone. I'll cancel your cell phone allowance.

Employee responded with "i dont want to carry two cell phones". I told them they should have thought of that 30 seconds ago.

Most of the games employees can play go away when the boss understands technology.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I had an employee try the "i have a dumb phone so i cant download an MFA" schtick. I smiled and said ok, here is your company assigned cellphone. I'll cancel your cell phone allowance.

Employee responded with "i dont want to carry two cell phones". I told them they should have thought of that 30 seconds ago.

Most of the games employees can play go away when the boss understands technology.
you sure showed him!
1667742003551.png

• 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, that worked when I was a poor grunt employee too. Got away with it for almost 4 years. Now that I'm lead infrastructure architect for 5+ F500 clients, not gonna fly. I must never be without my phone, must have full access to everything I could possibly need to solve any problem at all times, which means being able to authenticate to any device, host, VM or application in our public or private cloud infrastructure, and must never be more than 15 minutes away from my computer.

But yeah, if I wanted to stay a call center operator my whole life, I could have kept acting like a child who doesn't want any responsibility and done exactly what you said!

• 2Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Not every industry forces 24-7 on call. Lighten up Francis. Yes you're very very very important.

Now go press that reboot button again Mr Important Pants, nobody else can do that.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not every industry forces 24-7 on call. Lighten up Francis. Yes you're very very very important.

Now go press that reboot button again Mr Important Pants, nobody else can do that.
I wasn't forced, I could have kept avoiding responsibility. That's my point.

Very few people in most organizations want responsibility. When you actually start actively taking and seeking responsibility, you move up very quickly.

• 2Picard
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Or you work in a shitty industry that forces shit like that and have decided to claim it as a badge of pride.

Nobel laureates, university presidents, run of the mill academic researchers ... the level isnt the issue, "taking responsibility" isnt the issue. None of us have to do that shit.

But keep thinking youre better, and dont forget to press that reboot button.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that worked when I was a poor grunt employee too. Got away with it for almost 4 years. Now that I'm lead infrastructure architect for 5+ F500 clients, not gonna fly. I must never be without my phone, must have full access to everything I could possibly need to solve any problem at all times, which means being able to authenticate to any device, host, VM or application in our public or private cloud infrastructure, and must never be more than 15 minutes away from my computer.

But yeah, if I wanted to stay a call center operator my whole life, I could have kept acting like a child who doesn't want any responsibility and done exactly what you said!
I wasn't forced, I could have kept avoiding responsibility. That's my point.

Very few people in most organizations want responsibility. When you actually start actively taking and seeking responsibility, you move up very quickly.

you're so amazing

• 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Architects where I work do all the time. They're the last point of escalation
Right, I'm the top of the escalation path, but the only idiot that actually picks up their phone, which ends up making me the first person called instead of the last. :/

Okay I see ya'lls point.

• 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I refuse to put any work apps on my phone. My cell is in my signature and I usually answer. But my job is supporting sales. No order is gonna process and nothing they need will be fixed safety hours

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Architects where I work do all the time. They're the last point of escalation
In my org as a pre-sale engineering/architectural resource I'm usually the person who does the initial design, and I'm considered in the path of escalation. Also it's that way because I handle what are called "strategic" tier customers and if they aren't happy I don't make my money for the year. So I also have to answer when the phone rings...

Right, I'm the top of the escalation path, but the only idiot that actually picks up their phone, which ends up making me the first person called instead of the last. :/

Okay I see ya'lls point.
I, unfortunately, am also in the "person who will actually pick up the phone" position. I feel this pain. And have the scars from weekends lost due to some end user screwing a pooch then pulling the ripcord for the weekend on a Friday afternoon.

• 1Like