Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of note: Tesla not participating in this market bounce. Back to pre CPI announce price

*edit* Now red on the day. Man Elon is fucking the football on this one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sure, nobody said anything about forever.

Its all good fun shit talking bulls vs bears but one side has had more wins than the other this year...

I'm happy for yall, everybody's gotta eat :)
Regression to the mean is the most powerful force in the universe.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Can you sell specific shares/lots on TD ameritrade / Think or swim? for tax harvesting. I may be rusty but I can't find it.

Molten Core Raider
You can, but you have to go into the website (unless there has been an update on ToS) reasonably soon (2 or 3 days?) I think-I usually do it the next morning and assign the sale to the puchase. I *THINK* the process was "My Account>Cost Basis> Unsettled/Closed positions tab. Then you can click on the green arrow and somewhere in there you can choose to assign to the puchase. Sorry I cannot be more specific, I dont have any unsettled positions to try it with so I can get you the exact process.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Of note: Tesla not participating in this market bounce. Back to pre CPI announce price

*edit* Now red on the day. Man Elon is fucking the football on this one.
Shareholders are expressing concerns he is spending too much time and energy on Twitter. He should have seen this coming. He needs to name a CEO for Twitter to calm TSLA investors.

Also rumors (who knows if true) of Shanghai giga factory shutting down the MY line the last week of the year due to inventory bloat.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm gonna thoughts and prayers Gravel Gravel now before he comes and posts that he didn't sell anything at the open today and was looking to sell later in the "Santa Rally".

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm gonna thoughts and prayers Gravel Gravel now before he comes and posts that he didn't sell anything at the open today and was looking to sell later in the "Santa Rally".
Like I said last week, it's VTSAX with Vanguard, and not the ETF version. So it settles out at the end of trading. Like yesterday I waited until about 15 min before close to sell.

I wouldn't be doing anything today until after the FOMC.

• 1Like

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
Like I said last week, it's VTSAX with Vanguard, and not the ETF version. So it settles out at the end of trading. Like yesterday I waited until about 15 min before close to sell.

I wouldn't be doing anything today until after the FOMC.
FYI Assuming you mean you actually hold them in a Vanguard account you can call them and get them converted to VTI without a tax hit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I also bought some more at about $161. Will probably regret it, oh well.
What I feel I am seeing is that the big ICE automakers are finding out that building EVs isn't "just like building ICE cars". TSLA has the competitive advantage in battery tech, range, and generally the entire EV ecosphere. They have gotten the manufacturing system down and their upfront costs to automate and eliminate lots of union humans is one reason they run 35%+ production margins. That is 3-4x the legacy ICE companies' margins. Im not saying TSLA wont get caught, but I am saying that TSLA ain't getting caught in 2023.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Oil could go up now. Got the first payment on one of 3 leases today. 20% per barrel on Louisiana Light.

Also I assume people do this or companies would stop offering it. Get contacts often to buy out my lease for X amount. I guess people want the money in their pocket today and not a larger amount down the road and possibly again and again. If you sell instead of lease that's it, gone forever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Oil could go up now. Got the first payment on one of 3 leases today. 20% per barrel on Louisiana Light.

Also I assume people do this or companies would stop offering it. Get contacts often to buy out my lease for X amount. I guess people want the money in their pocket today and not a larger amount down the road and possibly again and again. If you sell instead of lease that's it, gone forever.
I can't imagine someone selling off their family's oil lease. That's actual generational wealth that ensures yourself, your children after you, and your grandchildren after them have a guaranteed income. If you grow up in western Oklahoma or west Texas you know that pretty much 100% of the cattle ranchers and cotton farmers are just doing something with their lease money and free time. The old school guys would always drive a beat up old truck, wear dirty overalls to the coffee shop every morning, and have about $8 million sitting in the local bank.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can't imagine someone selling off their family's oil lease. That's actual generational wealth that ensures yourself, your children after you, and your grandchildren after them have a guaranteed income. If you grow up in western Oklahoma or west Texas you know that pretty much 100% of the cattle ranchers and cotton farmers are just doing something with their lease money and free time. The old school guys would always drive a beat up old truck, wear dirty overalls to the coffee shop every morning, and have about $8 million sitting in the local bank.
This is sort of the backdrop of the movie "Hell or High Water"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users