Investing General Discussion

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Too hard to answer without knowing your personal risk tolerance, your time horizon for needing the money, and general feelings about the future.

If you're high risk tolerance, believe the US as a country will continue into the future, and don't need the money for a decade or longer, equities are hard to beat.

Real estate might be right at a peak right now. The Fed is still raising rates, but a lot of people think we're a few smaller hikes from hitting neutral FFR. And it sounds like interest rates on houses are at the peak or just starting to fall. If it were me I wouldn't be looking at buying real estate, but if you think shit is about to hit the fan, it might not be the worst idea.
shift is a concern for sure. kinda imagined sit on my reserves and see what housing does late next year. Every market is different and all that, stuff here is up by no where like Colorado etc. part of why I worried about getting decent rent. Dead end road on a hill, kinda looked idea of scooping up a few all on the same road. Given some expected new manufacturing falling through etc, feel like it will see some cooling in this small town an hour from tulsa.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
We gonna see sub-70 crude this week?
It’s hard to see this oil drop being sustainable long term. Inventories of crude are in free fall in the US. Probably some sort of push from on high to moderate buying to try and bring down prices, but if we keep this up we’ll be dangerously low in some places by summer, which is bad juju. I’d take this more as a temporary relief that might dissipate very quickly if China is committed to being lenient on lockdowns and buyers there feel confident to increase long term purchasing.

But yea, it’s probably pretty much a magic eight ball the next five to six months though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If Venezuela ever fixed its shit, crude prices would tank, but fat chance of that happening.

Venezuela is outputting 1/6th the oil it was when Chavez was around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Then again...

That’s good progresses, but we are many decades from a usable technology still. More energy released than spent is a long, long way from more energy captured than spent. We’ve been close to this for a while, and we need to do an order of magnitude better for it to be feasible technology.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That’s good progresses, but we are many decades from a usable technology still. More energy released than spent is a long, long way from more energy captured than spent. We’ve been close to this for a while, and we need to do an order of magnitude better for it to be feasible technology.
Many decades? "Many decades" ago we didn't really even have internet. Look how far we've come. Never underestimate the pace of progess, which isn't linear by any means.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Many decades? "Many decades" ago we didn't really even have internet. Look how far we've come. Never underestimate the pace of progess, which isn't linear by any means.
Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. Nothing takes "many decades" anymore, unless big industry combined with political forces are actively fighting against it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'll be the first to fly my car to the fusion research celebration when we get it. But this breakthrough is like going from the 9.9% to 10.1% completion that we've been striving for for 20 years. Strangely enough, I actually went on a small tour that had the head professor for the facility that made this breakthrough from a few years ago, though it was his retirement celebration.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I think its funny that Powell never said rate hikes were slowing down in December, but the whole fucking investing community has decided thats whats definitely happening.

I don't have any insider info obviously, I'm just saying. The guy has been completely consistent all year. He says what he is gonna do then he does it. And this same guy, he has definitely *not* said hikes are slowing down in Dec.

But the market decides this time is the time to infer and look for hidden meanings? I dunno. They could be right but I don't see any evidence supporting their view.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If Venezuela ever fixed its shit, crude prices would tank, but fat chance of that happening.

Venezuela is outputting 1/6th the oil it was when Chavez was around.

For the money we pissed away in Ukraine we could have conquered Venezuela and made all that crude our own.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Back in the saddle. Wrote the the T covered calls again. January expiry, $22 strike, 22 cent premium. As info my cost basis is $16.50 and I have already grabbed one dividend of $0.2775, plus premiums of $0.14 and $0.20. All total thats $0.8375 less $0.06 in buys to close. So $0.7775 (4.71%) in dividend/premium in two months. Also +17% in stock price appreciation.

• 2Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sold the first $20k out of our retirement (although technically this is from our taxable). Really hard to time this shit. I missed the 4100 last week and I didn't want to leave all of it up to chance with the announcements this week.

Still have a bit more to do, and maybe some traditional to Roth conversion to do. So hoping for a Santa rally still.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users