Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are 10,000 portfolio variations and I can find good and bad reasons for almost all of them. Your age is a significant variable to any portfolio design and you didn't include it.

That being said I am not going to address your idea specifically but in a bit more general view.

Assuming you are under 50 years old, make a portfolio built around an index (SPY/QQQ/FTEC/DIA/ITOT etc). Weight it 50-75% of your portfolio. Take the cash left over and use it to go overweight stocks that you truly love by owning them individually in addition to the basket weight in the index you hold. Understand the basket of holdings in your chosen index/indexes (yes you can mix SPY and QQQ for instance) and how much overweight you put yourself in any stocks you individually own. Check your weighting once or twice a year and trim if necessary.

When i say stocks you truly love, I refer to monster blue chips with rock solid balance sheets and moats who will be around in 50 years. I like JEPI, but over the long haul you dont need to allocate money to a low-beta fund since SPY/QQQ/ITOT etc will provide you this by riding the tide up and riding it back down. If you are 50+ then capital preservation begins to take on added significance.
I just happen to like JEPI because I feel like they've got a good strategy if the indexes really are going to just trade sideways for 4-5 years, which is looking pretty likely at this point. And the weighting is why I chose SPY and FLPSX since they don't really overlap very much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just happen to like JEPI because I feel like they've got a good strategy if the indexes really are going to just trade sideways for 4-5 years, which is looking pretty likely at this point. And the weighting is why I chose SPY and FLPSX since they don't really overlap very much.
ok

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
New bing requires you to make Microsoft your default search engine/browser, lol...

Quite a few hoops to go through to get access to it, and there's still a waitlist for it, too

edit: setting the defaults gets you through the waitlist faster

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New bing requires you to make Microsoft your default search engine/browser, lol...

Quite a few hoops to go through to get access to it, and there's still a waitlist for it, too

edit: setting the defaults gets you through the waitlist faster
I have used Bing as default for years. Its lower on the censorship score than Google. Not that that is saying a lot.

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Put an order in to trim some AAPL at $155.25. With FTEC as my index, trimming AAPL outside of the index is a requirement to keep the portfolio weight in check.

edit: missed by 3 cents.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Flex Schwarzenegger GIF

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How are they missing revenue with what theyre charging now? $10 here for a basic chicken burrito!
Never understood the CMG love. Shit wasn't worth the price they charged pre-inflation. Can't imagine what they are charging now.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you were the right age group when Chipotle expanded there was nothing better. It was like, I'm a functioning member of society, I can't eat taco bell anymore! This stuff is WAY BETTER!

15 years later I'm back to Taco Bell!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Never understood the CMG love. Shit wasn't worth the price they charged pre-inflation. Can't imagine what they are charging now.
Chipotle was okay in some markets where they'd never had good tex mex or mexican street food. But today, so many local burrito and taco places have sprung up all over the place with way more authentic food. Companies with huge corporate overhead can't compete with 5 local mexican/guatamalan/whatever entrepreneurs who got sick of working in someone else's kitchen and decided to start their own legit taco shop.

• 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Considering the biases that it's been programmed with, that may change.
The introduction of ChatGPT into Bing does not change how the normal Bing search ranks pages. It is just an additional blurb that gets added, it is still not websearch or realtime search. The two algorithms are not related. ChatGPT is not a webcrawler.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The introduction of ChatGPT into Bing does not change how the normal Bing search ranks pages. It is just an additional blurb that gets added, it is still not websearch or realtime search. The two algorithms are not related. ChatGPT is not a webcrawler.
Nope. I played with it. The original search box is gone. You write in the AI box now and it takes you to search results page.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nope. I played with it. The original search box is gone. You write in the AI box now and it takes you to search results page.
How the UI elements are laid out are irrelevant to what I said. ChatGPT has no ability to rank web pages. It is not trained in any way to do that. The search results are still the same old Bing search results.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How the UI elements are laid out are irrelevant to what I said. ChatGPT has no ability to rank web pages. It is not trained in any way to do that. The search results are still the same old Bing search results.
But it has AI now!!!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I can't imagine the search results between Google and Bing would be the primary reason people don't use Bing

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What don’t you understand about overpromise and under deliver???

• 1Worf