Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tesla shitting the bed hard. Absolutely in overbought territory on the back of a >100% move in the last weeks, so was due for a pullback.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So the guy who wanted a 50 last meeting is in favor of a 50 next meeting. Color me shocked. And the market somehow thinks this is worth a dump. Algos gonna algo.
People probably were lapping up the optimism that was coming about 1 more hike and then we can start cutting at the end of the year. I think there’s a lot of people who just don’t understand how big this mess we’ve gotten ourselves into is. The fed is going to have to put the screws in to get inflation under control and they are still using a gentle hand.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tesla shitting the bed hard. Absolutely in overbought territory on the back of a >100% move in the last weeks, so was due for a pullback.
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you...

Sold a third of my TSLA and banked those crash price profits. Being TSLA, if it crashed again I will rinse and repeat. As it stands now I am down to a half-sized position down about 10% with the new adjusted cost basis.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Tendies

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
People probably were lapping up the optimism that was coming about 1 more hike and then we can start cutting at the end of the year. I think there’s a lot of people who just don’t understand how big this mess we’ve gotten ourselves into is. The fed is going to have to put the screws in to get inflation under control and they are still using a gentle hand.
We had a great run of green candles the last 3 weeks. We were due for some pullback.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

Re Roku:

Cheap power processor and good OS for lightweight travel. I would be sad if I forgot it on any work trip.

New models will remember hotel authentication if you stay at same brand hotel. Niche, but it’s good tech.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Re Roku:

Cheap power processor and good OS for lightweight travel. I would be sad if I forgot it on any work trip.

New models will remember hotel authentication if you stay at same brand hotel. Niche, but it’s good tech.
They have added new verticals such as Wyze cameras etc. (not sure I see this as a big revenue generator, but who knows), but I think once they move into areas such as LATAM/APAC that they will really thrive with their low-cost hardware. However, ad revenue is what they are really making significant revenue on I believe and with the move to streaming apps, that forecast is brighter each day and they have managed to maintain good leverage over Youtube etc. to maintain healthy contracts.

They do compete with heavyweights such as Apple, Amazon and Google, but their product is way cheaper than Apple and grants access to WAY more content than all their competitors and has a better UI/UX for me and much less buggy than Amazon Fire and without the required screen mirroring of Chromecast. They're now releasing their own TVs instead of partnering with TCL etc. and buying more content for their Roku channel that is getting some pretty good content (former HBO Max content etc.). Lots of room for growth in that sector in the near and long term.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Is there something to this or BS?
Some on Wall Street are concerned that the growing popularity of 0DTEs is making U.S. stock markets more volatile and more fragile as outsize daily swings in the largest, most liquid equity indexes, like the S&P 500 , become more frequent.
My pieces of confusion -
  • I thought that I understood trading options did not affect share prices.
  • Since introduction of 0dte M-F the market has been flatter, not more volatile, hasnt it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If anyone wants to fuck around and find out while Avaya is in Chapter 11:

1676664450810.png

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Tendies

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is there something to this or BS?

My pieces of confusion -
  • I thought that I understood trading options did not affect share prices.
  • Since introduction of 0dte M-F the market has been flatter, not more volatile, hasnt it?
Its not a simple explanation so here is the best simple version I can:
As options get traded market makers handle the trades need to hedge just in case they have to fill orders. When lots and lots of options orders are flowing they need to buy/sell more shares to hedge. So the options buying indirectly impacts the shares being bought/sold even though the options themselves may not be assigned. This is referred to as a gamma squeeze.
This might help:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was wondering if some of you stock market regulars can explain something for me. I see ETFs and index funds being advised everywhere and I get the idea behind them. However, if these funds only invest in the top 20/50/500 stocks, does that not cause disproportionate buying pressure on these stocks compared to the rest of the market? If one stock becomes a larger % of the market index, does an ETF not cause additional flow into it, creating a snowball effect?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was wondering if some of you stock market regulars can explain something for me. I see ETFs and index funds being advised everywhere and I get the idea behind them. However, if these funds only invest in the top 20/50/500 stocks, does that not cause disproportionate buying pressure on these stocks compared to the rest of the market? If one stock becomes a larger % of the market index, does an ETF not cause additional flow into it, creating a snowball effect?

it happens and it does cause exactLy that. In fact the news of being added or removed from something like the s&p 500 can directly impact that stocks price.

cool topic to read up on but remember it’s not like they announce it then put out a market order for hundreds of millions of shares, like anything there is a process around this.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Absolutely. People love to say that this causes an imbalance in the market, however they're missing that as more and more money flows into index funds, it allows other market participants to take advantage of that by buying individual stocks.

But it's also why I like total market funds instead of just S&P 500 or QQQ. Those small cap equities are good to have as well, especially as the Apple's of the world keep getting bigger and bigger due to index funds.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well that was a not-stonks day. Got to watch a friend of mine make 18k on SPY puts though.

• 2Tendies
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So we're getting close to losing all the gains of 2023.

Looking like August 2022 all over again. Question is do we go even lower. I'm guessing yes.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boomer cuts.

07:30 [INTC] Cuts Quarterly dividend 65.8% to $0.125 from $0.36

• 2Rustled