Investing General Discussion

Drunkninjamaster

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to get some thoughts on this, but it seems at the very least we are probably going to have a really shitty recession. Assuming it's not end of society second coming of Jesus bad, what industries or stocks would you be looking into buying puts or shorting? Yeah, I know more banks are likely going to get wrecked, but there is the possibility of the bank you shorted getting bailed out. Perhaps there is some big profit potential by trying to bet on a giant coming down.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All of those regional banks taking a shit again this morning. FRC, WAL, PACW, WAL

1678968853569.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Another case of it didn't just happen overnight. Reading an article earlier Western alliance had an expected EPS of $0.95 or such last quarter of last year and actual was half that.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wanted to get some thoughts on this, but it seems at the very least we are probably going to have a really shitty recession. Assuming it's not end of society second coming of Jesus bad, what industries or stocks would you be looking into buying puts or shorting? Yeah, I know more banks are likely going to get wrecked, but there is the possibility of the bank you shorted getting bailed out. Perhaps there is some big profit potential by trying to bet on a giant coming down.
Short version. The majority of the regular posters don't sell short or buy puts. The ones we had shorting stocks stopped posting when they went bankrupt. The current bears tend to buy SQQQ as their vehicle to bet against the market. Many view buying puts as buying insurance and prefer to be the one getting the premium instead of paying the premium. As for selling short, you are making an investment with a finite upside and an unlimited downside. In my personal view that is no bueno.

As for recession stocks - There are tens of thousands of articles written on stocks to buy in a recession. Stocks like WMT and PG always make the list. Generally consumer staples and the like. Things people still have to buy even during a recession. My philosophy doesnt shift much recession versus non-recession. Buy blue chip companies with bulletproof balance sheets and a moat. The advantage of a recession is you can buy these long term hold companies on sale. No one who was buying AAPL, MSFT, HD, JPM, WMT, etc during the Covid crash is complaining today.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still behind the curve, but kudos for having the balls to keep on track following the Credit Suisse drama.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
if our fed doesnt at least do a quarter point bump they are fucking craven bought and paid punk ass bitches.

Molten Core Raider
They are craven bought and paid punk ass bitches no matter what they do.

• 2Truth!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Seems a little pointless to speculate what the fed will do since market reactions to the decision have become so unhinged. Even if a person is right about what the fed will do, that doesnt tell us where the market goes.

Someone will drop by shortly to explain with a patient chuckle why "oh its all so much more complicated than that", conventiently without making an actual prediction of their own

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
For a very long term view, say 5-10 years out, load up on silver, gold, and uranium mining stocks. They are very cheap. SIL, SILJ, GDX, GDXJ, URA are some ETFs that I routinely buy

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giant green dildo candles everywhere on news:

10:50 $FRC JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley and others said to be in talks to bolster First Republic - WSJ

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Currently up on the market by 17% over the last year.
Nothing flashy, no big risk gambles, just consistency
tempsnip.png

More market runs sideways the bigger the outperformance will grow. Shrinks during strong uptrends with low VIX levels.

Still selling weekly SPY/QQQ puts. Watching for SPY to see if it can retake 200d would love to flip some contracts to shares if we can recapture.

Ugly Charts -> HYG/JNK , EEM, IWM
Strong CHarts -> QQQ
Inflection -> SPY

• 4Tendies
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

iamacynic37

FoH Honkler - HONK HONK MFr
<Banned>
I like rare earth minerals for long-term, SHTF, and Tin-Foil-Hat scenarios.
My goto is VanEck Rare Earth/Strategic Metals ETF
NYSEARCA: REMX