Investing General Discussion

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I asked ChatGPT to create me a balanced, commodity-focused portfolio. Anyone see anything wrong with these selections?

1. **Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM)** - Oil and Gas (18%)
2. **Chevron Corporation (CVX)** - Oil and Gas (13%)
3. **BHP Group (BHP)** - Metals and Mining (13%)
4. **Rio Tinto (RIO)** - Metals and Mining (8%)
5. **Vanguard Materials ETF (VAW)** - Diversified (10%)
6. **Invesco DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)** - Diversified Commodities (9%)
7. **SPDR Gold Trust (GLD)** - Gold (9%)
8. **First Trust Water ETF (FIW)** - Water (9%)
9. **iShares Silver Trust (SLV)** - Silver (11%)

Gold has essentially been flat since 2011 and silver is down 50% from the same time period

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't ChatGPT also limited to 2021 data? Asking it finance questions is probably not the best idea.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is a long-term strategy, targeting over the next decade as we enter a high inflationary, low growth period.

Well they've shown over 1 decade already that they will either stay flat or lose value, so that doesn't give me much hope for another decade.

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I asked Chat GPT to wash my car. This is nonsense. Some crap algo cannot beat humans. At all. Not now. Maybe 100 years, maybe 20 years. But not today.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I asked Chat GPT to wash my car. This is nonsense. Some crap algo cannot beat humans. At all. Not now. Maybe 100 years, maybe 20 years. But not today.

This might be the dumbest take I've seen. I can sort of agree with the sentiment but you actually can buy robotic devices that will do shit like... wash your car, mow your lawn, vacuum your house or pool... etc.

You might want to start actually paying attention to the world around you.

Fuck... there are already cars that are close to being able to drive themselves but you think we are 100.. or maybe 20 years out from AI being able to wash a car.

Last edited:

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
This might be the dumbest take I've seen. I can sort of agree with the sentiment but you actually can buy robotic devices that will do shit like... wash your car, mow your lawn, vacuum your house or pool... etc.

You might want to start actually paying attention to the world around you.

Fuck... there are already cars that are close to being able to drive themselves but you think we are 100.. or maybe 20 years out from AI being able to wash a car.
Good point. You're right, I'm under-estimating the speed of destruction. Fair enough. We don't need jobs right, just print more money. Modern Monetary Theory.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Isn't ChatGPT also limited to 2021 data? Asking it finance questions is probably not the best idea.
For commodities? I wouldn't think so. I would want it to consider historical data for well-established companies in their respective sector/industry. But what I do know... that's why I posted the question.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think the point of gold and silver is to actually physically possess the metal if SHTF so you can... uhh, overpay for stuff unless you know the exact exchange rate of said metals and people will actually take them?
Though I do like the idea of them as a store of value, there's some huge pitfalls and caveats from the (limited) research I've done on the subject.

If you're getting them in ETF form, then why wouldn't you get a better performing ETF as Fogel Fogel says?

Also, I suspect we're likely in for a deflationary period in the coming days, not inflationary.
Though, as always, all predictions wrong or your money ($0) back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the point of gold and silver is to actually physically possess the metal if SHTF so you can... uhh, overpay for stuff unless you know the exact exchange rate of said metals and people will actually take them?
Though I do like the idea of them as a store of value, there's some huge pitfalls and caveats from the (limited) research I've done on the subject.

If you're getting them in ETF form, then why wouldn't you get a better performing ETF as Fogel Fogel says?

Also, I suspect we're likely in for a deflationary period in the coming days, not inflationary.
Though, as always, all predictions wrong or your money ($0) back.
Theoretically, the goal would be to hold something that doesn't fluctuate with the rest of the market for diversification. Unfortunately, you're probably doing so at the expense of your portfolio returns. There are much better products to invest in that might actually appreciate.

• 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I asked ChatGPT to create me a balanced, commodity-focused portfolio. Anyone see anything wrong with these selections?

1. **Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM)** - Oil and Gas (18%)
2. **Chevron Corporation (CVX)** - Oil and Gas (13%)
3. **BHP Group (BHP)** - Metals and Mining (13%)
4. **Rio Tinto (RIO)** - Metals and Mining (8%)
5. **Vanguard Materials ETF (VAW)** - Diversified (10%)
6. **Invesco DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)** - Diversified Commodities (9%)
7. **SPDR Gold Trust (GLD)** - Gold (9%)
8. **First Trust Water ETF (FIW)** - Water (9%)
9. **iShares Silver Trust (SLV)** - Silver (11%)
Your top two investments there are in an industry the US Federal Government has all but declared open war on.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Your top two investments there are in an industry the US Federal Government has all but declared open war on.
Yeah, well, long-term? Pretty sure they're gonna lose that war.

I reworked the portfolio to be more dividend-focused:

Procter & Gamble Co. (PG)
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE)
Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)
The Coca-Cola Co. (KO)
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)
Chevron Corporation (CVX)

And thanks Mist Mist for the SoFi recommendation. I opened an account with them.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wanted to go long some DIS at these levels from a purely technical standpoint, but I think my overall fundamental analysis is still too bearish. Their films have been a complete disaster and that is no quick fix, as the run out for better scripts & stories takes years to hit theater. (Plus this news yesterday: DIS Reportedly considers delaying some 2023 movie releases given the writers/actors strike - press). Streaming has exploded in cost, as indicated by Netflix earnings. And while I had been optimistic on park attendance, that is starting to look shaky as well. I think this company gets worse before it gets any better.

Did some digging around YouTube for the park enthusiasts and this doesn't look great.

Blazin Blazin I know you recently bought. Any second thoughts? Or just willing to add at lower levels? I, personally, need more of the bad news baked in first.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I wanted to go long some DIS at these levels from a purely technical standpoint, but I think my overall fundamental analysis is still too bearish. Their films have been a complete disaster and that is no quick fix, as the run out for better scripts & stories takes years to hit theater. (Plus this news yesterday: DIS Reportedly considers delaying some 2023 movie releases given the writers/actors strike - press). Streaming has exploded in cost, as indicated by Netflix earnings. And while I had been optimistic on park attendance, that is starting to look shaky as well. I think this company gets worse before it gets any better.

Did some digging around YouTube for the park enthusiasts and this doesn't look great.

Blazin Blazin I know you recently bought. Any second thoughts? Or just willing to add at lower levels? I, personally, need more of the bad news baked in first.
The rumor is DIS is strapped for cash to pay Comcast for Hulu. Im sure you've seen in the news somewhere that they're trying to sell assets that aren't part of their "core business".

I think they have some massive issues that won't be resolved any time soon. Even if they reverse course on all the woke content, it'll take years to produce anything under that new paradigm.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I hate to admit I have had them on my board to watch for a few weeks at these levels. My thought is they got bloated (ala GE) and own shit that doesnt really help their core business. As an analyst I would suggest spinning off some assets. I dont think sale is the best route. They can spin off, keep some portion of the segments they dump and generate cash to buyout the rest of Hulu. I think their obsession with ESPN is a blunder. Its value is only going to decline as more people continue to cut the cord. This is an asset I would sell outright.

This all being said, DIS is still a media behemoth and it is suffering with its current strategy trying to navigate the culture wars going on. It "can" change course and it "should". Will it? Who knows. I have a buy order in at $85 for a starter position.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate to admit I have had them on my board to watch for a few weeks at these levels. My thought is they got bloated (ala GE) and own shit that doesnt really help their core business. As an analyst I would suggest spinning off some assets. I dont think sale is the best route. They can spin off, keep some portion of the segments they dump and generate cash to buyout the rest of Hulu. I think their obsession with ESPN is a blunder. Its value is only going to decline as more people continue to cut the cord. This is an asset I would sell outright.

This all being said, DIS is still a media behemoth and it is suffering with its current strategy trying to navigate the culture wars going on. It "can" change course and it "should". Will it? Who knows. I have a buy order in at $85 for a starter position.
If you're willing to take the punt, why not just wait until post-earnings in 2 weeks? Not very confident in their performance this quarter after streaming costs reported by NFLX, and the apparent park bookings. Films are shit as a cherry on top.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you're willing to take the punt, why not just wait until post-earnings in 2 weeks? Not very confident in their performance this quarter after streaming costs reported by NFLX, and the apparent park bookings. Films are shit as a cherry on top.
Q2 for parks should be strong with spring break numbers. $85 is very close to Covid Black Monday. I'm willing to take a small entry at this level. Valuation is basically down in the area where parks and movies were closed with zero revenue. I'm ok down here.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I only have $10k of it at the moment. Preferably I'd like to see a final spike lower that I'd probably want to grab maybe 200 shares more, and that's about my limit on what I'd be willing to put into it. I would be unlikely to sell for at least a year. They don't need to fix anything to see a huge turn around, sentiment just needs to change. META hasn't fixed a damn thing. Just at some point sellers will exhaust themselves.

See NFLX as well, probably in worse shape now then when it was at its lows hundreds of dollars a share ago.