Irrational Games being shut down

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A Message From Ken Levine

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.
We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It?s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What?s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I?ve ever had. While I?m deeply proud of what we?ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we?ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I?ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There?s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we?ll be hosting a recruiting day where we?ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What?s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they?re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K?s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I?m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we?re lucky, we?ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine
What a piece of shit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is he truly being a dick or just (voluntarily)taking all the blame because the company isn't doing well?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know what 2k can do with bioshock but civilization has been and still is amazing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that does kind of come across as 'well, I want to do something smaller, so I'm blowing the place up and working on something smaller within Take Two. Peace' doesn't it?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
He isn't a piece of shit. He is a genius. And he realizes what is wrong with the industry when projects get too many people in them, people wear too many hats, he loses creative control (Something he should * always * be in charge of) and needs to condense down to make the game he wants to make.

We need more people like him in the industry. With news like this I cannot wait to see his next project. The guy is a developer God, takes his time on all the little things that really make memorable experiences in a game, and with tighter control of the ship and a handpicked group he knows are dedicated to creative freedom and making fantastic games players will love, this is probably the only way to go about it. That said, he also cares for his employees enough that he isn't shooing them out the door, letting them stay to build up their resume and portfolio, even bringing in other competing companies so those people can find a place to work. If this was EA they would be walked out the door by a security guard with about 10 minutes to pick up half their family pictures.

People here need to see this for what it really is.

/applaud Ken Levine.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So spin the "extra" people off into another company. Or appoint someone else to manage them and keep them around in the same damn company. If you want to demote yourself to project lead, go nuts, but don't fuck with peoples' livelihood to do it.

Also, Bioshock Infinite had its flaws. "developer God" did not make that game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I actually had a fair amount of respect for Utnayan's opinions until that post. What a piece of shit.

If this was EA they would be walked out the door by a security guard with about 10 minutes to pick up half their family pictures.
Yeah way to put some spin on it. At least Ken Levine is firing them with dignity!!! Suck his cock harder maybe he'll give you a job bro.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So what you are saying is he should sacrifice his values and the very company he started in his own living room to help 50% of the people that simply don't belong in the same room with the guy wanting to hold more worthless meetings on how the next term of "combat technique in an atmospheric shooter" should be defined as for 6 months before a project gets off the ground?

Got it.

Sorry Gavinrad - my opinion is firm on this one. That doesn't mean I do not feel sorry for most of the folks that are getting laid off. Some deserve to get laid off, some don't. But you cannot expect a guy with the passion he has for making great games with very intricate development cycles and resources dedicated to even the smallest things that make a game what it is (that most publishers would see cut today) continue to follow the mainstream. We saw what happened when he did that with Bioshock 2 and lost all control.

Considering the way most are being laid off, you cannot tell me for one second that this isn't the best of all options. Most developers get laid off without notice and shipped out of the building at a project end date. You tell me where you have seen a company let their developers stay to develop their portfolios, hold open houses to find a new job, recruit other companies to come in and interview those folks, and then let's have a chat. Because all I have seen in the last 3 years is an entire company being fired in a fucking parking lot, developers from another studio finding out their 1st house was never sold while losing all their health insurance in the middle of their wife pushing out a baby, or an entire in house firm under EA cut without any notice and out of an office 10 minutes after they show up for work.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
developer god hired them, he gets to live with his choices.

You're not getting it. No one here gives a shit about his ulterior motives. We're discussing how he went about it and this was probably the worst way possible. This was a childish knee-jerk reaction to "I just want to work on my stuff!".

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So what you are saying is he should sacrifice his values and the very company he started in his own living room to help 50% of the people that simply don't belong in the same room with the guy wanting to hold more worthless meetings on how the next term of "combat technique in an atmospheric shooter" should be defined as for 6 months before a project gets off the ground?

Got it.

Sorry Gavinrad - my opinion is firm on this one. That doesn't mean I do not feel sorry for most of the folks that are getting laid off. Some deserve to get laid off, some don't. But you cannot expect a guy with the passion he has for making great games with very intricate development cycles and resources dedicated to even the smallest things that make a game what it is (that most publishers would see cut today) continue to follow the mainstream. We saw what happened when he did that with Bioshock 2.
Have you ever actually worked inside the industry? Because I have, and you're full of shit.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ken wasn't involved with BS2 at all, no?
Correct he wasn't. He had control taken and shipped to 2k Marin. Which then took 2 portions of the game shipped overseas.

Gavinrad, answer my question. When have you seen that amount of hand holding before in this industry? You can start with how you were fired.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All that staff will get reassigned to whatever studio is pumping out shitty Bioshock sequels that Ken Levine clearly wants no part of. Take Two already said that they consider Bioshock a franchise that they intend to put out a new game for every 2 years, but Levine said in the DLC announcement for Burial at Sea: Part 2 that he considers this the end of the Bioshock+Bioshock Infinite storylines. I'm gonna guess it ends very unsatisfactorily.

So now he wants to go make some Stanley Parable knockoff and Take TWo is giving him enough rope to hang himself.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd be ok with all this if it meant we were getting SWAT 5 or even another Freedom Force game.

That's not going to happen though, but at the same time I never really liked any of the BioShock games much anyway, so... meh.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah this guy thinks he is Lord British or something. Artistic freedom aside, he is really shitting on a lot of people over his distaste for the part of the industry that pays the bills.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Can you guys really not read PR?
"2K is closing us down, but is still keeping me on contract with a limited budget. I'm taking the blame (and should, since it was my job keeping Irrational profitable enough to stay alive)."

I've been saying it for years: the future is 20 disc based games a year (half of those are sports), with everything else digital. Even Infinite's sales won't keep it in the running for one of those 10 slots a year.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
"2K is closing us down, but is still keeping me on contract with a limited budget. I'm taking the blame (and should, since it was my job keeping Irrational profitable enough to stay alive)."

I've been saying it for years: the future is 20 disc based games a year (half of those are sports), with everything else digital. Even Infinite's sales won't keep it in the running for one of those 10 slots a year.
Is he truly being a dick or just (voluntarily)taking all the blame because the company isn't doing well?
Nope, totally missed that.

Caliane

split the company, step down from CEO and form a new company. There are about a hundred different better ways then firing most of your staff.
I mean, if 2k is taking over control of the bioschock IP..... Why did the team get fired? why aren't THEY working on the bioschock as part of teamB. or whatever?

Push for narrative driven games. wonder what that exactly will entail. wants to be naughtydog? or realized the gameplay was the worst part of bioshocks, and wants to make adventure games finally. hrm, actually as noted with the digital comment, it probably was the Walking Dead that got him.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I sure hope he doesn't want to making a Snoring Dead game.

They're obviously going to continue making Bioshock games, as has been said, why not keep the team and put them on that instead of firing everyone and riding out into the sunset?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Yeah, this is more likely I think as well.