Irrational Games being shut down

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Does anyone here blame him? Be stuck in a shitty position under corporate overlords or tell the man to fuck off and go back to doing what you were doing before you were originally bought out. This isn't a fucking pickup basketball game. This is what this guy does for a living. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees kind of thing.

And Deathwing, no one offered up alternative scenarios. Just people shitting on him that this was a bad way to handle it. I'm sure we have about 5% of the facts.

Caliane

explain to me again under your scenario, how Ken Levine quitting, involves everyone else getting fired?

Ken didnt want to work under the evil overlords. Ken is still working there, everyone else is fired.

I mean I dont know.
Was Kens ego too big to let someone else head Irrational? While he broke off and worked with this smaller team?
Did no one want that job? did they look?
Maybe these employees ARE just being transferred internally to 2k or something. "fired" by Irrational, hired by 2k. maybe. probably should have said that, if so though. much better PR.

And as noted, with Shilling. you know what, companies do owe their employees. (although, maybe they did get good packages. who knows)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why couldn't they get someone else to take over Irrational Games then? I don't see why it was KL's life duty to always be a part of Irrational Games.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
And Deathwing, no one offered up alternative scenarios. Just people shitting on him that this was a bad way to handle it. I'm sure we have about 5% of the facts.
wut?

So spin the "extra" people off into another company. Or appoint someone else to manage them and keep them around in the same damn company. If you want to demote yourself to project lead, go nuts, but don't fuck with peoples' livelihood to do it.
split the company, step down from CEO and form a new company. There are about a hundred different better ways then firing most of your staff.
I mean, if 2k is taking over control of the bioschock IP..... Why did the team get fired? why aren't THEY working on the bioschock as part of teamB. or whatever?
They're obviously going to continue making Bioshock games, as has been said, why not keep the team and put them on that instead of firing everyone and riding out into the sunset?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Are any of those scenarios KL's call though? He doesn't outright own the company right? Isn't that the problem here?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are any of those scenarios KL's call though? He doesn't outright own the company right? Isn't that the problem here?
Doesn't matter who owns the company, if you write a goodbye letter that makes you look like a selfish asshole, people are going to assume you're a selfish asshole.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bunch of board warriors arguing over the way something was written. Sounds about right.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm at that point in my life where being colossally selfish is both a thing I fully hate and despise because the selfish are the ones who fuck it up for the rest of us, and yet, I can't exactly blame him because I cannot myself claim to be fully selfless.

In conclusion, he's a dick and I would have done the same thing.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Major portions of the story were changed late in development, which of course added tons of dev time and costs millions. Maybe Ken Levine wants to (or is being forced to) focus on smaller games where he can change his mind on a whim without such ridiculous costs. Like the nightmare stories about making Stick of Truth, or what went on at LucasArts. He could be a perfectionist to a fault.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Curt Schilling fucks up and his company is dissolved. Utnayan thinks he is a horrible person for abandoning all these people.

Ken Levin voluntarily shuts down his company and is going to fire everyone. Utnayan thinks the guy is a fucking hero.

Such logic, such consistency.
Let's not forget how often that hypocrite declared Aradune the Anti-Christ because of the parking lot incident. Schizophrenia doesn't even begin to explain this.

Makes me glad I never bought any of these bioshock titles. It remains true that large publishers are the biggest evil here.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not that I'd ever defend Utnayan's past antics here or at FoH, but anyone who can't see the difference between what happened at Sigil/38S and what was said in the letter Levine wrote needs help.

Caliane

yeah. you're right.

curt didnt do it on purpose.

Ken took a successful IP and blew millions of dollars,2-3years extra, and left "2games worth of content" on the cutting room floor, making a game which sold millions and was highly received not profitable.
Thus, costing 150-175 people their jobs, due to his ego.

huge ego and mismanagement. totally different.
curt aimed higher. and crashed and burned before shipping.