Irrational Games being shut down

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
So does this mean no more Bioshock?
frown.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So nothing will change then, besides the timeframes.

Ahuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue.

spronk

FPS noob
thats pretty crazy if bioshock infinite cost $200m to make, but only sold 4m copies. i wonder if the rest of the burial at sea dlc's are coming out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, it means a new bioshock game every 2 years, each blander than the last!
You never know. A new team could actually do something interesting. The old team was clearly unable to come up with any good ideas for Infinite besides Elizabeth herself. They spent 5 years making a pretty fucking shallow game, which was only saved by good writing (especially dialogue writing, which is hard) and memorable voice acting. The gameplay itself is almost unbearably bad, specifically the layout of the areas being just an awful pixel hunt for coins, picks and basically useless gear.

Bioshock Infinite is basically good in spite of itself, the good parts shining so brightly that they overshadow all the terribly bland parts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
thats pretty crazy if bioshock infinite cost $200m to make, but only sold 4m copies. i wonder if the rest of the burial at sea dlc's are coming out.
Part 2 is coming out next month, and that's the last DLC. Ken Levine said he considers it the ending to both the Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite storylines together, which means prepare to be upset if you ask me.

Maybe it will end with a machine where Elizabeth can destroy all universe, save all universes, or combine all universes, and they can be conveniently color coded red, blue, and green.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, it means a new bioshock game every 2 years, each blander than the last!
I'm not exactly thrilled that Take Two plans to continue to milk (and undoubtedly run into the ground) one of my favorite series, but I think one of the good things about Bioshock is it's a unique franchise in the amount of freedom it will allow future teams. Between the first and Infinite, it's been established that they can put the game in any setting with only tenuous connections to the previous games and still market it as a Bioshock game. Hopefully this will allow them to continue to churn out unique games rather than just doing something like Bioshock 2 again. I'm not really holding my breath though.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those of you in this business...Would a history of this type of thing prevent you from wanting to work with Ken in the future?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I don't care for Ken Levine personally or professionally, however I will give him credit as someone with "artistic vision" or whatever you want to call it and a strong tendency to stick to his guns, of better or worse, so none of this surprises me at all.

Best of luck to the others being laid off though. Hope y'all land on your feet!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Those of you in this business...Would a history of this type of thing prevent you from wanting to work with Ken in the future?
Probably? I've worked for a couple of "creative visionaries" in my time and it was never a good experience. What you tend to learn is that the public perception is false and the success came from people whose names you don't know that were too busy working hard and putting out fires to be the public face of something.

Star Wars is an excellent example of this.

Caliane

You never know. A new team could actually do something interesting. The old team was clearly unable to come up with any good ideas for Infinite besides Elizabeth herself. They spent 5 years making a pretty fucking shallow game, which was only saved by good writing (especially dialogue writing, which is hard) and memorable voice acting. The gameplay itself is almost unbearably bad, specifically the layout of the areas being just an awful pixel hunt for coins, picks and basically useless gear.

Bioshock Infinite is basically good in spite of itself, the good parts shining so brightly that they overshadow all the terribly bland parts.
Small reminder. This vid just touches on the superficial. But if you really go back and look at art, and all the videos over the time. Seriously its like 2-3 different games entirely. Only people at the studio might be able to tell us what happened. Was it just not fun? were they unable to actually get things to work as seen int he videos? were xbox/ps3 tech restraints too much causing the game to be gutted for consoles? Doe someone at Irrational just have no idea what makes good gameplay? This game clearly had a shit ton of bloat. work was done over and over.
They had to higher a guy to come and and get the game ready to ship, because the studio would not allow them to blow more millions on more revisions.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Working with him wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down. While that article was a good read, some of it was just bullshit. Like people complaining about crunch time? Motherfucker, EVERYBODY CRUNCHES. If I was taking another industry job and someone told me I would have minimal crunch time on the project, I'd laugh in his face.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Working with him wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down. While that article was a good read, some of it was just bullshit. Like people complaining about crunch time? Motherfucker, EVERYBODY CRUNCHES. If I was taking another industry job and someone told me I would have minimal crunch time on the project, I'd laugh in his face.
Yea, I read that article knowing this is a guy with friends loosing their job. He even admits that some of it is guilt driven since he hated the game too. There were a few good points though.

As far as crunch time? The only example I have even close to this field is a web team of about 25 people, and we had someone in the office who's sole job was to poke the team lead a few times a day saying "Focus, focus, focus" simply because that was his personality type and we knew it. He didn't have an ego about it because I hired his wife for the job. They had a huge bonus incentive (Not in the contract) that everyone (Even admin) would receive if goals were timely. This company's web team is basically just a support role that overlaps customer service so I make this comparison very loosely.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Long-term and/or frequent crunching is a net productivity loss after only 4-6 weeks. This is pretty well documented and has been for a while now. I did that once and I learned first hand how ineffective it is. At this point I would never participate in mandatory crunch. Sometimes I work late or extra but only because I am so excited or engaged I can't help myself. Other times I get a little burned out from working even normal hours and I might just take a day off if I feel like it. With this setup I am ridiculously productive.

Sean_sl

shitlord
BioShock To Live On Despite Irrational Closure

This week brought surprising news that Irrational Games will be closing. Founder Ken Levine will be starting anew within 2K Games, bringing with him approximately 15 people. The remaining employees (reported by the Boston Globe to number over 100) are now seeking new opportunities.

We reached out to 2K Games for additional comment on the matter and received some information about the disposition of the BioShock franchise. "BioShock is one of our most beloved and critically acclaimed franchises, and we are indebted to Ken and the talented team at Irrational Games for their contributions to the series with BioShock and BioShock Infinite; the latter being one of the most decorated games of 2013," a 2K Games representative told us via email. "The BioShock universe remains a rich creative canvas for many untold stories, and we look forward to exploring the next BioShock experience."

In addition to helping with internal placement. Irrational is holding a recruiting day for the employees who will be leaving. A number of developers and publishers have already confirmed their attendance, including Crytek (USA and global), BioWare, Retro Studios, Insomniac, Turtle Rock, Bethesda, and Gearbox. Additional studios are likely to confirm before the event.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
2K should give BioShock over to Gearbox. I'm sure Randy Pitchford would give the series the respect it deserves.