Is Christopher Nolan the most overrated director of all time?

iannis

Musty Nester
I disagree about Spielberg. I think he deserves all the credit he gets. I mean yeah his last movie was about a horse or something and I didn't watch it. But I'm sure if I had watched it I would be of the opinion that it was the best damn horse movie it's possible to make. Spielberg has just mastered the form. It's really hard to be offended by a Spielberg movie even when you try to be. If he's been just dicking around with it for the past 15 years -- I mean can you really blame him?

He'll be remembered as a Beethoven. All copies of crystal skull will be destroyed.

Juvarisx

Florida
Dunno how you think the director of Raiders of the lost ark, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, etc is overrated

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No one makes all excellent movies. Francis Ford Coppola made some of the best movies of all time. He also made Godfather 3 and Jack....

If we're seriously going to go for MOST overrated I don't think a guy like Nolan can even be in the conversation. He has yet to make a truly awful movie. He's made disappointing movies(TDKR) and hit or miss movies(Inception), but he hasn't dropped a true turd on screen yet like most greats.

I hesitate to suggest it, but Woody Allen might be the guy. He's made a bunch of classics, but for a man universally hailed as a comedy genius he sure has a mediocre lifetime batting average. The fact he makes so many movies can exaggerate this some, but for a few years there he put out nothing but a non-stop parade of shit. Every wannabe deep Hollywood person cites him as a genius and inspiration and shit, but how many of them are talking about Curse of the Jade Scorpion?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
No one makes all excellent movies. Francis Ford Coppola made some of the best movies of all time. He also made Godfather 3 and Jack....

If we're seriously going to go for MOST overrated I don't think a guy like Nolan can even be in the conversation. He has yet to make a truly awful movie. He's made disappointing movies(TDKR) and hit or miss movies(Inception), but he hasn't dropped a true turd on screen yet like most greats.

I hesitate to suggest it, but Woody Allen might be the guy. He's made a bunch of classics, but for a man universally hailed as a comedy genius he sure has a mediocre lifetime batting average. The fact he makes so many movies can exaggerate this some, but for a few years there he put out nothing but a non-stop parade of shit. Every wannabe deep Hollywood person cites him as a genius and inspiration and shit, but how many of them are talking about Curse of the Jade Scorpion?
What was wrong with Godfather 3 other than poor casting choices for his kids?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It really is more a case of that plus it just not living up to the standard set by the first 2 than it is the movie being total shit. But it is pretty universally reviled for these reasons. As much a case of expectations as actual content.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Plus the movies after that.

Anyway, can't believe you guys gave supertouch real responses. Nolan is a very good director, not overrated, though a batman film or two may be. At the time everyone seemed to love the shit out of Inception, I guess now it's a hit or miss

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I dug Inception. Nolan is awesome. Memento is still one of the coolest films I've seen.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nolan is probably my favorite modern director. imo he just kills it. Even Dark Knight Rises, I thought it was awesome, plot holes and all. Inception was amazing, anyone who didn't like it just has a wrong opinion. I can't even relate to other humans who didn't like that movie. IDK, he's not on Spielberg's level or anything, but 20 years from now? Maybe. Depends on what he does between now and then.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
not the most overrated and not the best either.
but i still don't know why so many people like TDKR,it's so fuckin bad.....
oh and i don't like inception,in my opiniom,one of the most overrated movies ever (yes give me -internets :p )

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh and i don't like inception,in my opiniom,one of the most overrated movies ever (yes give me -internets :p )
CBn5Znh.jpg

CBn5Znh.jpg

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
no dude...i said one of the most overrated.
plus,you don't have to be a hipster to not like that movie.
Nolan is a great director but now i think anything that he does,everyone will say "oh another master piece by nolan"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm just fucking with you. Different people have different tastes, whatever. I don't understand it, Inception was a great movie, but whatever. I don't like Woody Allen movies, except the one where Sean Penn was the famous blues guitarist, that one was funny. But people claim they are masterpieces of comedy and I just don't get it. Annie Hall wasn't funny.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
He's put out some fantastic movies. Memento, Inception, the Dark Knight. He's also put out some real dog shit. Dark Knight Rises (more like floats. In a toilet bowl.).

Honestly he's top tier as far as hollywood talent goes. He'll need to really fuck up to drop to the same level as the Wachoski siblings.

Has anyone ever considered George Lucas a great director? He has American Graffiti and Star Wars. That's about it.
THX 1138

I hate George Lucas. Can't fuck with THX 1138 though.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
George Lucas is by far the most overrated director and all he did was re-re-re-release them... He's so far from original he probably can't even see daylight anymore.