Is Christopher Nolan the most overrated director of all time?

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Clint Eastwood and Katheryn Bigelow are also two I'd say are way more overrated than Nolan.
How is Clint Eastwood overrated? Clint Eastwood directed Unforgiven and Gran Turino. Even his not awesome movies that he directed are still pretty good.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just fucking with you. Different people have different tastes, whatever. I don't understand it, Inception was a great movie, but whatever. I don't like Woody Allen movies, except the one where Sean Penn was the famous blues guitarist, that one was funny. But people claim they are masterpieces of comedy and I just don't get it. Annie Hall wasn't funny.
Gonna have to agree I absolutely do not enjoy woody Allen movies, if I was voting for most over-rated he would be my vote but everyone is going to have their own opinion based on their preference. I was also thinking of Lucas but really he hasn't been overrated for a long time, at this point everyone just assumes anything he puts out will be crap. I'll probably get negs for this but again for my opinion I would say Tim Burton is up there, he made some greats back in the day but I haven't enjoyed anything he has put out since sleepy hollow.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Definitely Tim Burton. He just keeps remaking Edward Scissor Hands over and over. Give it a fucking rest.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I WISH he would remake Edward Scissorhands over and over. That thing had heart, story, humor, and identity. The shit he makes now is just generic. Just a normal Hollywood movie run through a Hot Topic filter to make it look "Burtony".

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

He's the "king of the nerds" and held highly for his shitty movies. Falls into overrated pretty firmly. Sorry, but the entire Star Wars saga is boring as fuck and the abortions that are the prequels pretty much killed the franchise. You can hand over a pile of shit to new hands to work with... but it's still shit.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
How is Clint Eastwood overrated? Clint Eastwood directed Unforgiven and Gran Turino. Even his not awesome movies that he directed are still pretty good.
He's had one great movie (Unforgiven), some good movies, and a lot of decent and even bad movies. Yet he gets in Top 10 lists. Clint Eastwood the actor is awesome though...

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

He's the "king of the nerds" and held highly for his shitty movies. Falls into overrated pretty firmly. Sorry, but the entire Star Wars saga is boring as fuck and the abortions
Oh, that's what we're doing. OK I'll contribute then.

APPLE SUCKS! XBOX > Playstation! EQ was for fags! Chicago > Beatles!

Szlia

The award thing is an interesting lead to answer the original question. There are 91 directors that got nominated for the academy award for Best Director. 27 of those got nominated more than three times. Eight more than five. Scorsese, Allen and Spielberg are in that club with seven nominations, but they can't hold a candle to William Wyler and his twelve nominations! I am not a connoisseur of Hollywood's golden age, but if I remember Wuthering Heights and Ben Hur or even Roman Holiday, what's up with The Little Foxes, The Letter or Ms Miniver? I am not saying Wyler is bad, but I find it surprising he towers over everyone in that way. The length of his career helped though.

If you look at the Palme d'Or of the Cannes Film Festival another candidate emerges. Only seven people won it twice. Coppola, Haneke, the Dardenne brothers, Imamura, Kusturica, so a nice group of world class authors, and... Bille August. He won for two forgettable costume dramas and made nothing of notice before or after (his latest is an adaptation of the bestseller Night Train to Lisbon that was in the Berlin Film Festival and got a very cold reception).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Spielberg is not overrated, hes responsible for quite a few watershed films in his era. Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones x3, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Woody Allen is probably the closest thing to actually being overrated. hipsters always mention his movies when trying to sound sophisticated. but to be fair, early in his career he had a great bunch of flicks. Bananas, Take The Money and Run, Sleeper, and Radio Days are all classics.

Clint Eastwood isnt overrated because i dont think anyone has ever claimed he is the greatest director ever. he makes movies about things hes interested in and sometimes they work, like Unforgiven, Gran Torino, Flags of our Fathers, Bronco Billy, Heartbreak Ridge, Honkytonk Man, The Gauntlet and Bridges of Madison County if you like that kind of movie. and sometimes they dont work, such as Invictus, Bloodwork and A Perfect World.

Chris Nolan? so far ive liked everything hes done, so im not seeing the overrated tag apply to him.
Tim Burton, uh he was a good director in the 80s and 90s when he cared about what the fuck he was doing. hes been just phoning it in for the last decade or more.

Caliane

Weird, I think people were misreading what I said about Spielberg.

I was making a comparison, asserting I think there have been about 3 directors in our time, that have been heralded as space jesus for movies. Cameron, Spielberg, and now Nolan gets that kind of praise.
Cameron and Spielberg both deserved it in their hayday. Although, I think both have lost their touch a bit in old age. Spielberg especially. Cameron still has the potential.. but seems to be going the Michael Bay route.
Nolan on the other the hand has maybe 1 or 2 good movies, and alot of mediocre ones. I totally agree he gets way more adulation then he should.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Clint Eastwood
You forgot Million Dollar Baby which was awesome.

50% of the movie is the script, with a bad script you'll get shitty movies, no matter how good the director is.
Cotillard's death scence in The Dark Knight Rises is unforgivable.

If you want world shaking visionary Jesus-es (at some point) : Cameron, Spierlberg, Scorsese, Coppola, Kubrick, Hitchcock,
If you want "like it or leave it" : Tarantino, Fincher, Allen, Burton, Lynch, Soderbergh, Cronenberg, Leone

As for inception, sure the visual were stunning, but the entire story sucked balls.... "You know that i know that you know that i know"
Seriously ? Dream in a Dream in a Dream in a Dream ? that's the whole plot ? Fuck you

He's done some good work with TDK series, but that's it, i'd rate Richie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels & Snatch & Sherlock 1) higher.
Most overrated of all times ? well if you include him with the best of all times, then yes.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Michael Bay

Massive box offices, shit films
i was going to say Michael Bay but who the the fuck thinks he is an acclaimed director?ahah
maybe we have to change the topic to "shitty directors".
Michael bay is up there
Paul anderson too (thanks for raping my childhood in every movie)
Spike Lee (racist fuck and he going to destroy OldBoy)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
@EmiliaEQ, I never saw million dollar baby, some dickhead spoiled the ending for me and I figured afterwards, whats the point?

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
I care less about schmucks being overrated or pointless nerd rage/counter nerd rage opinion wars. What I do care about is how the FUCK did guys that made movies like ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, LEGEND and then GI JANE, GLADIATOR, HANNIBAL, BLACK HAWK DOWN back to fucking back go on to make ...Robin Hood 2010... and Prometheus... when they have a million times the resources now.

It's like they lose intensity or something as they age/get wealthier. Holy fuck I just want to watch a movie like Last of the Mohicans once in a theater as an adult, instead of finagling a positive opinion from lukewarm to OK stuff.

Scorsese going from the likes of Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas and then kinda in the middle for me with Gangs of New York and The Departed to Shutter Island...Hugo?

Evil Dead trilogy to Drag Me To Hell....or Event Horizon to fucking Death Race lol. T1/T2 and Titanic ( hm lotta Ts ) earning the money to make his dream movie; Avatar. Sweet.

Shaun of The Dead / 28 Days Later / Oldboy / Requiem for a Dream / Fight Club respective directors and many others still making tons of awesome stuff, I am not taking the "everything new sux" attitude.

I wonder if I have become a fart smelling curmudgeon or what...damn what I would have given to see A Clockwork Orange in the theater. Hm probably should just be happy good stuff gets made at all instead of bitching

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it has a lot to do with age, but not in the way you think. if you like riding a bike you might want to have the best bike or want to win a bike race, or both. say you do get the best bike and you win bike race after bike race. now what? get more bikes, ride in more races? as you get older you dont really care about great bikes or trophies as you did when you were young. same with anything else in life. ridley scott did alien when he was young and was really interested in the subject. 35 years later, not so much.