It (2017)

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Book was great until the ending. After 1000+ pages it was just dumb dumb dumb

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Book was great until the ending. After 1000+ pages it was just dumb dumb dumb
you mean the end ending or the final scene with pennywise? i guess both are a little stupid, but the bill & audra bike ride was kind of cool. the spider squishing was straight up stupid though.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
its something like 1036 pages long, yes its going to take a while, when it came out i read it almost nonstop and it still took me a week to go through it. however it is a good read and you wont mind spending the next few weeks on it. keep in mind, this is the abridged version, in a Playboy interview back in the early 80s, King said the book was originally going on 3000 pages, thankfully, some poor bastard edited that all down to just 1000.

woops, it was 2000 pages

<derail> From that interview...Straub's "Ghost Story" is probably my favorite horror novel. It is VERY slow to start, but the idea behind the book was rather original. I really enjoyed it. Another was "The Elementals" by Michael McDowell (who actually grew up in the same small town I did and wrote the screenplay for Beetlejuice). </derail>

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
IIRC IT came during King's heavy coke stage, where he pumped out massive tomes that were erratically paced but good reads. The guy can shape a great image in your mind, it's his greatest strength. He's not going to make you cry or think about the secrets of the universe, but he's going to keep you entertained.

And then every once in a while he would shit out a "The Tommyknocker" and you wonder: who is this fucking hack?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
<derail> From that interview...Straub's "Ghost Story" is probably my favorite horror novel. It is VERY slow to start, but the idea behind the book was rather original. I really enjoyed it. Another was "The Elementals" by Michael McDowell (who actually grew up in the same small town I did and wrote the screenplay for Beetlejuice). </derail>
To continue the derail, The Elementals is bad fucking ass. Just finishing up Blackwater, which is different, but good, like a southern soap opera with ghosts and river monsters and shit. McDowell was for sure a great writer and taken too soon.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Agree with all those faults but left happy. Sewer clown is always gonna be good horror for me.

It wasn't the worst movie ever. I'd give it a 5/10 so solidly average. The first movie was more of a 7 or 8 out of ten for me for reference. I guess I was just expecting more after the first one and wanted more IT versus what we got which was more in line with the Conjuring series.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Some of it was pretty brutal

under the bleachers and Eddie's trinket find were solid horror scenes i wont forget

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It wasn't the worst movie ever. I'd give it a 5/10 so solidly average. The first movie was more of a 7 or 8 out of ten for me for reference. I guess I was just expecting more after the first one and wanted more IT versus what we got which was more in line with the Conjuring series.

What did you love about the first one? To me, it was the kids. They were fucking funny, great, and perfectly cast.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
What did you love about the first one? To me, it was the kids. They were fucking funny, great, and perfectly cast.

Mostly just the general atmosphere of Derry and the kids as you said were done perfectly. I guess it just comes down to the content available. Even in the books the adults stuff wasnt really scary or unsettling aside from how their childhood experiences messed them up. IT conceptually isn't very scary for an adult because he has limited options to get at you. Hence him needing to bring Bowers back to the town because IT itself was pretty impotent against the adult losers club aside from some mind games.

The adult portions of the book were really just foils to the meat of the story which was their childhoods and the various Derry narratives. In and of themselves they weren't very impressive.

• 1Like

Szlia

The problem is that the first film is about the innocent kids vs the corrupted adults and the entity that corrupt them (or feed on their corruption) and that ceases to work when you bring the characters back as adults. You get some children, but almost no other adults, so suddenly it becomes about a lame indian ritual and everyone get their little short film within the film and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

spronk

FPS noob

Pennywise was molested by a tranny Eldritch God and grew up hating kids

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

Disgusted No Way GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Waiting for the Will Smith slapping Pennywise segway

Or Pennywise eating his wife's bald head.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i havent seen any of these films, didnt they cover the past times Pennywise popped up to feed? the gang masacre? the lumberjack axe attack? the fire at the Black Spot? the explosion at the Kitchener Ironworks? what did they do in those movies? just jerk themselves off over the 80s?