It (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob

85%, 6.87/10 so sounds like maybe slightly worse than the first movie but basically about the same.

Its 2h49m though, fuck thats looong. I'll definitely see it in theaters, the first movie was pretty much the edge of the level of scary movie I'll watch. The only horror movie I've probably seen in a decade honestly. and yeah, I know, it wasn't really that scary.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

85%, 6.87/10 so sounds like maybe slightly worse than the first movie but basically about the same.

Its 2h49m though, fuck thats looong. I'll definitely see it in theaters, the first movie was pretty much the edge of the level of scary movie I'll watch. The only horror movie I've probably seen in a decade honestly. and yeah, I know, it wasn't really that scary.

I'm expecting them to try to push the scary/horror more in this one. Otherwise how wouldn't you be coming back to Derry as a 40 year old thinking about how you're going to get a free W from something you whacked when you were 13.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Friends saw "It 2" tonight. Said it was uninspired fluff with intermittent jump scares

• 1Rustled

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Your friends sound like faggots.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Not nearly as good as the first chapter. Seemed really long and the ending just went the wrong way. Most of the crowd was laughing at the penultimate moment that should have been the huge payoff. Still glad I saw it, because the good things about it were done really well, there just wasn’t consistency throughout. 3/5

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how this can remotely be as good as 1 - at least 80% of the appeal of the first one was the kids. The kid-actors nailed their roles and it was a fun throwback.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
There is a sequel? After the first one I would have expected more hype on the radio and elsewhere but really have not heard much, must not have been confident enough to do a full advertising blitz or did I just miss it?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Not nearly as good as the first chapter. Seemed really long and the ending just went the wrong way. Most of the crowd was laughing at the penultimate moment that should have been the huge payoff. Still glad I saw it, because the good things about it were done really well, there just wasn’t consistency throughout. 3/5

That's kind of disappointing. I was relistening to some of the audiobook while playing WoW Classic in anticipation of the film basically just skipping all the chapters I knew were deadwood. In practice that resulted in skipping stuff that dealt primarily with them as adults. Chapter one with Georgie alright, skip chapter two with Adrian Melon, skip the next half dozen chapters with everyone as adults getting phone calls, skip their reunion chapters, etc.

Finishing up it started to worry me a bit. As far as the adults go there's not really a ton there? They return to town, everyone sees one spooky thing, Mike gets stabbed, they go in to the sewer, final battle, we out. The kids pull all the narrative weight. Doing an entire movie with the adults could be like climbing a ladder with no rungs. The second part of the 1990 made for tv movie is nowhere near as good as the first part and I'm not sure which direction you would even go? It may have made more sense to do something completely different and have a brand new batch of kids tackle the monster beneath Derry with a little help from a few of the Losers.

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I saw it last night. I agree that its not as good as the first part. It feels way to long, the payoff aint that great, and some of the Pennywise scenes felt very repetitive at this point. Movie kind of lost some of the creepier elements that part one had in regards to the town and its citizens. It wasnt horrible and had some cool scenes but overall I left a little disappointed.

• 2Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
That's kind of disappointing. I was relistening to some of the audiobook while playing WoW Classic in anticipation of the film basically just skipping all the chapters I knew were deadwood. In practice that resulted in skipping stuff that dealt primarily with them as adults. Chapter one with Georgie alright, skip chapter two with Adrian Melon, skip the next half dozen chapters with everyone as adults getting phone calls, skip their reunion chapters, etc.

Finishing up it started to worry me a bit. As far as the adults go there's not really a ton there? They return to town, everyone sees one spooky thing, Mike gets stabbed, they go in to the sewer, final battle, we out. The kids pull all the narrative weight. Doing an entire movie with the adults could be like climbing a ladder with no rungs. The second part of the 1990 made for tv movie is nowhere near as good as the first part and I'm not sure which direction you would even go? It may have made more sense to do something completely different and have a brand new batch of kids tackle the monster beneath Derry with a little help from a few of the Losers.

The kids are still heavily utilized in this one from what I've heard. Tons of flash backs so you should still get some of the narrative weight you are looking for. I guess the director has a combined cut he wants to do which would be much truer to the book in style and substance so for those of you who don't need to see this in the theater, it would probably be better to wait for that release when the movie comes out for DL or purchase. I'll be seeing it this weekend regardless because I'm a huge king fan and I think the first was good enough viewing to catch the second one on the big screen.

• 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been hearing that Chapter 2 is not as good as Chapter 1. Shame. Maybe we needed more of Cary Joji Fukunaga's take on the characters, he did contribute to Chapter 1 (but was the nremoved from the project).

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
The kids are in this quite a bit actually. There’s some back and forth time jumps of stuff that happened in the first movie, and some extra stuff that didn’t so its new kid stuff. They clearly used deaging on the kids in some scenes since they are 2-3 years older when they filmed the new stuff.
Despite the negatives, the Adrian Mellon scene is absolutely brutal and kicks Pennywise being back off really well, and there are some serious creepy/uncomfortable/scary moments in the first half that I think they did really well.

• 1Like

fat12

Trakanon Raider
The movie was way too long imo. Thought it was quite a bit less enjoyable than the first one. The pacing just felt off for the entire movie. I
There was like an hour that could've been cutout with the whole getting token things. I wouldn't have minded if instead, they used that time to develop more of the backstory.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Stephen King is apparantly happy with this version so I assume it includes way too much exposition and thinking out loud

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Never read the book, never saw either the Tim Curry movie or the newest one, so I'm blissfully ignorant of what IT is really about short of two things:

1) Clown scary
2) We all float down here

So in the spirit of enlightenment, I read the plot synopsis of the book on Wiki and it sounds like a rambling, unfocused mess. I generally enjoy Stephen King movies (The Shining, Pet Sematary, Misery) but I'm curious: is the movie rambling and unfocused too or is it pretty straightforward? Is it even worth the watch? If it is, do I go for the original or the newest one?

• 2Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Honestly you should read the book. It isn't convoluted or a mess to read, but I suppose trying to fit a thousand page book in to a couple paragraphs would make things confusing.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Never read the book, never saw either the Tim Curry movie or the newest one, so I'm blissfully ignorant of what IT is really about short of two things:

1) Clown scary
2) We all float down here

So in the spirit of enlightenment, I read the plot synopsis of the book on Wiki and it sounds like a rambling, unfocused mess. I generally enjoy Stephen King movies (The Shining, Pet Sematary, Misery) but I'm curious: is the movie rambling and unfocused too or is it pretty straightforward? Is it even worth the watch? If it is, do I go for the original or the newest one?

The first half of the 1990 made for TV movie is pretty good. The 2017 remake (part one, haven't seen the second part yet) is also pretty good.

Honestly you should read the book. It isn't convoluted or a mess to read, but I suppose trying to fit a thousand page book in to a couple paragraphs would make thins confusing.

A four hundred or so page fan edit of the book that was only the stuff with them as kids plus the different interlude portions where Mike is researching the town would be an A+ horror novel. The parts of that book that are good are just super good. I really like the book, I've been through it four or five times over the years, but it's a damn hard thing to recommend to anyone. A bunch of kids facing down all of the old Universal movie monsters plus a clown with some themes around faith, belief and childhood building up to a hard Lovecraftian turn at the end is more than enough story without all the other shit King threw in.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
The first half of the 1990 made for TV movie is pretty good. The 2017 remake (part one, haven't seen the second part yet) is also pretty good.

A four hundred or so page fan edit of the book that was only the stuff with them as kids plus the different interlude portions where Mike is researching the town would be an A+ horror novel. The parts of that book that are good are just super good. I really like the book, I've been through it four or five times over the years, but it's a damn hard thing to recommend to anyone. A bunch of kids facing down all of the old Universal movie monsters plus a clown with some themes around faith, belief and childhood building up to a hard Lovecraftian turn at the end is more than enough story without all the other shit King threw in.

See thats part of what fascinates me about King books and draws me in. First he is really good at building character relationships and giving them depth. Second you never know what kind of crazy tangent ride he is going to take you on in any given book and that is half the fun. With King's books you kind of really need to enjoy the ride cause the destination is almost never satisfying. Aside from his short stories which I think are his strongest writing in general. Short enough he doesn't lose the thread but long enough that you can get some really imaginative stuff going on.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
See thats part of what fascinates me about King books and draws me in. First he is really good at building character relationships and giving them depth. Second you never know what kind of crazy tangent ride he is going to take you on in any given book and that is half the fun. With King's books you kind of really need to enjoy the ride cause the destination is almost never satisfying. Aside from his short stories which I think are his strongest writing in general. Short enough he doesn't lose the thread but long enough that you can get some really imaginative stuff going on.

Earlier in the year I read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. He's the guy that wrote The Terror which would become the AMC television show about a lost antarctic expedition. It had a similar premise in that a group of kids combat something supernatural that's killing them over the course of a summer. I thought it was fucking awful and an absolute chore to finish so maybe there's something to all the crazy shit King mixes in.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like