It Follows

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the movie was filmed for $2 million and has already made it back with only a limited release (think they just expanded to 1,200 theaters this week). While making money is for sure important, the movie itself is pretty artsy so mass-appeal will lag critics IMO and gauging the investment they probably figured this....leading into, the review!

So, I finally had a chance to see this last night and was OK with it but a bit letdown. The concept behind it was pretty original, albeit with throwbacks to others (had some strong Halloween vibes for me). The score and story-telling I feel were strong and without these elements this would have ended up your typical 3/10 teenie date movie. I gather this is the director's, David Robert Mitchell, first go at horror but he did a great job presenting the 'monster' so it wasn't in-your-face obvious (most American horror these days) or WTF-is-going-on confusing (looking at you Korea and Japan) so you can actually get just enough to track the story with your mind filling in the blanks to personalize the suspense. As mentioned, also excellent use of sound to raise tension (think the siren in Silent Hill). There is a lot of symbolism and metaphors throughout this movie and I'm sure film students and artsy types will love it but it was all a bit too try-hard for me, taking away from what could have been more terrifying.

For an artsy-movie, I'd give it an 8/10. For horror-fans, a 6.5. It was worth seeing in the theater for me, just because it was shot well and the audio was such a big component of the film. That said, I think you'd still get the point watching it at home.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i never said the rest of the movie was bad, i said i couldnt enjoy the movie because of that annoying kid. if you like that shit, more power to you.
You're mischaracterizing the movie. It isn't "90 minutes of some kid screaming". I'm sorry you can't enjoy good movies because they have children in them sometimes bro, but imma let it be known that you are wrong and it is a good movie.

It Follows isn't floppings, the movie cost like 2 mill to make. They're hoping the wide release brings word of mouth to it, but regardless it has already been a financial success.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You're mischaracterizing the movie. It isn't "90 minutes of some kid screaming". I'm sorry you can't enjoy good movies because they have children in them sometimes bro, but imma let it be known that you are wrong and it is a good movie.

It Follows isn't floppings, the movie cost like 2 mill to make. They're hoping the wide release brings word of mouth to it, but regardless it has already been a financial success.
great, enjoy your screaming kid.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Let me save the average movie watcher some time. This movie sucked dirty butt hole. You have been warned.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Was this the movie about chlamydia?
That's what I thought at first, but having watched this waste of time I think its attempting to promote promiscuity, or a personification of sexual guilt, or jealousy? Jealousy makes sense because it only seems to want to kill the last person that got laid.

But yeah the movie was terrible.

PS That Egret chick from GoT was in a small horror movie of her own recently, it similarly was a metaphor for getting married I think.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I just watched The Babadook the other day, and while I enjoyed it, holy shit was that kid annoying. I kept thinking back to this thread and how I had read the movie was 90 minutes of a kid screaming. It wasn't quite that bad, but it was close.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Kid was a decent actor to play an annoying little shit so effectively. I found babadook to be a really good movie personally.

Column_sl

shitlord
That is one weird film. Director is heavily inspired by John Carpenter, in fact this is almost a fan letter to him.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Watched this movie last night, it's okay, it tries very hard to do everything other than have a genuinely good story. Everything in it is an homage to late 70's/80's horror movies, the music, cinematography and the entire premise.

Most of the slasher movies were euphemisms for sexually transmitted disease. Movies start, teens are off in a cabin somewhere drinking and fooling around then the killer arrives and starts cleaning house.

Only problem is they left out pretty much the only thing that made the originals popular, gore. The antagonist has a similar sort of vibe to Michael Myers but doesn't match his presence.

There are a quite a few of these 80's-a-like movies now and they are better than the usual bullshit but you have to wonder why the 70's and 80's did it so well and then it went to shit.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I don't get the 96% on rotten tomatoes. I've never seen that shit be so wrong before. Movie wasn't scary at all and the ending made me go what the fuck that's it?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I watched this because the RT score and the movie was terrible, how the hell is this so highly rated ?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was great. Not sure what you guys were expecting. Feels like a late 70s early 80s John Carpenter film.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's been a while but why wouldnt the monster go in water? I cant remember if they explained it or not

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The monster did not go in the water because it was a trap. It was slow not stupid as was pointed out.