IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ah I don't really do it too often. It is just when I have to HexFiend seems to do a good job especially on giant files. And on OSX I have fewer options I'm sure than a Windows machine. Though it sounds like at Blizzard I'll be back on Windows.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Is PyGotham a python conference first and foremost? That might be why.

I took a lot of math in school but I forget most of it because I've never used it. I just use a calculator for hex math and that's it
Yeah it is Python first. I just meant that if one is interested in machine learning, one should learn the absolute basics at least. Anyway, from my point of view it was a dull experience where nothing new was learned by me. Academic conference it was not. I dont understand what the point is of having such basic talks (on all topics). Is this normal for such software dev meetings?

Tenks

Most conferences are just about getting your feet wet so you can independently research on your own. Sometimes for hyper-focused conferences (eg; like HBaseCon) you can get deeper knowledge transfer but for something as broad as "Python" you're not going to get deep into anything. Its just about spreading some buzzwords around and what people are currently using and working on in the community.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Most conferences are just about getting your feet wet so you can independently research on your own. Sometimes for hyper-focused conferences (eg; like HBaseCon) you can get deeper knowledge transfer but for something as broad as "Python" you're not going to get deep into anything. Its just about spreading some buzzwords around and what people are currently using and working on in the community.
I was just shocked by a lack of even basis details. It was all "Here is some code using a library on my toy data. Magic happens here. And here is the result". Weird but sounds like this is normal. Thanks.

Tenks

You may also have a separate definition of ML than what many company's use for it (for better or worse.) Anymore it just seems like if your program can detect trends in data you slap "ML" on it because that is the new hotness. It isn't really about your program learning and becoming better over time.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You may also have a separate definition of ML than what many company's use for it (for better or worse.) Anymore it just seems like if your program can detect trends in data you slap "ML" on it because that is the new hotness. It isn't really about your program learning and becoming better over time.
I was hoping for people to touch on some theoretical underpinnings of some topics and then show how the math turns into code. I know the math, the coding is the part I feel I lack (or so I thought before watching professional developers fumble around with basic shit this weekend). Instead I got a bunch of shit of "here is a library, its magical." Meh.

For example, one talk was from IHeartRadio data science guy. It was called "Vector Space Modeling on Music Data." One would think such a talk would have some math in it, but nope. Nothing at all, just a tiny bit of code here and there and mostly some really basic concepts about collaborative learning. I mean, I wasnt expecting NIPS or MLConf but fuck me, I was expecting a lot more than what I got. Oh well, the people were cool and it was a fun social experience at least.

Tenks

It sounds like someone already turned the math into code. I'm not sure what you'd expect from such a high level language community like Python.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dev/Technology summits are usually nothing more than social networking events and often even just straight up cash grabs.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It sounds like someone already turned the math into code. I'm not sure what you'd expect from such a high level language community like Python.
I expected a talk on vector space modeling to talk about vector space modeling (the guy briefly said that a vector is an arrow in physical space, that was almost rage inducing). A talk about agent based modeling to talk about abstract algebra modeling. A talk about studying black holes with python to actually mention something about computational astrology. A talk about probabilistic graphics models to not be just about basic probability with an occasional reference to a markov processes to be thrown in. I dunno, a few of the talks were done by PHDs and PHD students and I guess I am disappointed that the talks had to be dumbed down to a point of being useless. I cant imagine how useful they are to anyone and not just to me. Oh well
smile.png

Tenks

My wife's work agreed to let her work remotely in California. I told her while I think that situation sounds good short-term if I were her I'd probably look for local employment. I honestly think she'll go insane if she doesn't leave our 850 sqft apartment all day. But I guess we'll see how it goes.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
She can probably do much better for herself salary wise by moving on to a local company as well.

Tenks

She can probably do much better for herself salary wise by moving on to a local company as well.
I said the same. I also told her if they do layoffs remote workers are always the first to go.

850 sqft? You're going to go nuts anyway.
I think it'll be fine. I know it isn't a ton of room but we don't really use a bunch right now anyways. Really as long as I have a separate space away from her and the TV to play on my computer I'll be fine. Right now our 3BR house could just as easily be a 1BR.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I lived in an 850 sq ft apartment for a couple years and the space is very confining. Of course your layout could be different.

Tenks

I think my last apartment before moving to my house was a very ineffecient 920 or so sqft. My wife's was tiny. Probably more in the 600 sqft range. I'm not looking forward to it but it is what it is. Either I have a small'ish apartment or I have to pay so much in rent every month I'll never be able to move into an actual house.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Wormie, it's possible to get high level talks at a conference but you have to take two things into account. One is the conference itself. The other is the speakers. The combination of the two matters a lot. If you've been in your field for even a little bit then you know the names people tend to listen to when they speak up about a subject. If they're showing up to a conference, then chances are they might present something you're interested in. It also means they see value in what the conference has to offer and that it may contain something they're interested in as well.