IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Knowing how to operate within a team environment is one of the most hirable aspects a developer can have
I know. My situation is sort of like Noodles. I'm on the Software team but I'm the only one working on this specific aspect of our product line. I'm sure I would do fine but if I were to leave where I am now it would be a hole in my experience.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I don't think that's a good environment for a dev especially junior ones. I learned so much at my last job working with people that had been doing bios for 30+ years. Here I have no resources.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah I don't think that's a good environment for a dev especially junior ones. I learned so much at my last job working with people that had been doing bios for 30+ years. Here I have no resources.
Junior Devs without supervision = fucking disaster.

Vinen

God is dead
At 4 years i wouldn't say I'm a junior but it's pretty retarded anyways.
It depends. You worked at EMC which likely lead to you being coddled and hindered your growth slightly.

I'd expect a dev with 4 years of experience to be able to handle leading a project.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't say I was coddled too much. When I cooped absolutely, intern yes too. When I moved to bios I was thrown to the wolves basically, all the other engineers quit and I was instantly the 2nd in seniority on the team.

I had to learn a lot of shit about pci architecture, bifurcation, working with vendors, setting up mem mapped io, etc.

At the end I was the bios lead on a new server we had and lead the design, implementation and debugging from bring up to launch. My boss threw it to me expecting me to do much worse but have a strong learning process. Instead I hit a grand slam. My coworker who I looked up to a lot kept telling me I was on fire (doing multiple big commits daily)

It's in stark contrast to "here" . It was a complete step back. No direction, no one to work with, unclear requirements that constantly change, plus I'm the only software engineer on a purely hardware team.

It was a terrible mistake to work here. Would've been better off unemployed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm still mad about it. I lost stuff in a test script branch

By the way these test scripts are Linux scripts for shit not related to my job and they're on my back about why they aren't done.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
See who lost their job that day or the next. I would expect to be fired for losing an approximate month of work hours for the whole company.

There's a couple commits in my company's SVN logs that are just "oops, that was bad", fixing a commit that deleted trunk. That person wasn't fired because IT has a good backup scheme.

Vinen

God is dead
See who lost their job that day or the next. I would expect to be fired for losing an approximate month of work hours for the whole company.

There's a couple commits in my company's SVN logs that are just "oops, that was bad", fixing a commit that deleted trunk. That person wasn't fired because IT has a good backup scheme.
Which is why I blame DevOps.

A bunch of unexpeirenced Developers thinking they understand what is required to build Business continuity.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Whoa an internet article biased towards C flavors and hates Java this is some new territory. Thank god this got it's own post.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tenks is a Java boy so it's no surprise he's fuming behind the keyboard. Probably just ripped his raw denim jeans in half when the blood pumped to his dick

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
He's not wrong though. Doesn't deserve its own thread and it's obviously biased to C. Though, I guess he also gave Python a neutral assessment.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also Java is still hanging on to some shit with it's past. Java itself is now an extremely fast language for all the safety it provides. It has by far the best JIT complier out there and the JVM itself is extraordinarily fast. Java 3 or so? Yeah that was a slow piece. Java 8, however, is not.

And like what Deathwing was dealing with compared to C++ its nice having an authoritative body in charge of the Java standard

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Agreed on the standards part. I think Boost, while great in itself, is always going be a double edged sword because it represents how many holes C++ has needed patching over the years.