IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
Wormie, it's possible to get high level talks at a conference but you have to take two things into account. One is the conference itself. The other is the speakers. The combination of the two matters a lot. If you've been in your field for even a little bit then you know the names people tend to listen to when they speak up about a subject. If they're showing up to a conference, then chances are they might present something you're interested in. It also means they see value in what the conference has to offer and that it may contain something they're interested in as well.
Yep. Don't go to VMworld, RSA, Cisco Live, Microsoft Ignite etc and expect a technical discussion. They are marketing conferences.
The conferences you want to go to go to are those like Microsoft Build, Google IO, etc...

Also, people alluded to this earlier but the most you will learn at a conference is what technologies to look at. You won't come back a better programmer. So treat them as a discovery + networking.

//Speaking at VMworld 2016 in 2 months. If any of you will be attending message.

Vinen

God is dead
We're software engineers, we don't get to go to conferences like VMWare. They only send the talkers there
I've seen plenty go in the past. There are also plenty of "IT" people on this forums
tongue.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My company just ripped out all our old physical hardware and replaced it with super beefy machines virtualized with VMWare. No clue if we're sending anyone to the conference, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Recruiter from a local defense company called pretty excited about my resume. I did apply for them Monday but maybe it hasn't hit the right people yet. Either way I'd be glad to get out of working on enterprise servers and doing something more interesting.

Vinen

God is dead
Recruiter from a local defense company called pretty excited about my resume. I did apply for them Monday but maybe it hasn't hit the right people yet. Either way I'd be glad to get out of working on enterprise servers and doing something more interesting.
Defense Contractor
Interesting

Pick 1.

They are giant process hellholes that suck any innovation out of you and turn you into a worthless Trump voting shell of a human being.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm sure you could guess, tehre are only two or three immediate ones I can think of

I've heard about the process being pretty nuts there (union stuff).

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
My company just ripped out all our old physical hardware and replaced it with super beefy machines virtualized with VMWare. No clue if we're sending anyone to the conference, though.
Then you will end up turning it off to run databases because the vendor wants bare metal
smile.png
Around and round we go!

Tenks

Then you will end up turning it off to run databases because the vendor wants bare metal
smile.png
Around and round we go!
Some of the stuff is still physical. Like our hadoop cluster(s) are all physical machines and a few others. Its just mostly all the SOA stuff that got virtualized.

Vinen

God is dead
Some of the stuff is still physical. Like our hadoop cluster(s) are all physical machines and a few others. Its just mostly all the SOA stuff that got virtualized.
What vendors actually ask for Physical boxes? The closest I ever see is Oracle just to avoid their licensing herpes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They asked me if I knew Java and could to go to Israel for a month.

I've never been so happy to not know Java in my life.

Tenks

I hear Tel Aviv is actually a pretty damn cool city to visit. Death rate there is probably less than Detroit.

moontayle

Golden Squire
My step-mom is an office manager for a company based out of Israel. Nice or something like that. Keeps telling me I should apply to them (her office is in DFW area).

I honestly don't know how I'd function in an actual team environment. I'm basically the only dev on our Android stuff and it's kind of nice to have the freedom to do things the way I want.

Tenks

Knowing how to operate within a team environment is one of the most hirable aspects a developer can have

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm on a team but not at the same time - only software engineer working on BIOS and it's fucking awful.

It's the main reason I'm looking for something new. I told my boss about how difficult it is by myself and he was sort of like "lol yep"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm on a team but not at the same time - only software engineer working on BIOS and it's fucking awful.

It's the main reason I'm looking for something new. I told my boss about how difficult it is by myself and he was sort of like "lol yep"