IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stupid question. It says if I leave before rhe year I have to pay back a prorated amount of my bonus, but it never states anywhere in the contract or employee handbook what the prorated amount is. Anyone know how it typically works? I assumed it would be my months remaining divided by 12,but some companies do a straight 75% or 50%.

I can't ask hr because they automatically CC your boss.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
If it's pro rata and doesnt specifically state a fixed % then surely it must be (annual payout/12) x remaining months = what you pay back?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's my thought process as well, I hope they didn't leave it intentionally vague so they can do whatever the hell they want.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Last day of work here today. Feels kind of surreal. Like it hasn't really kicked in yet I'm packing up and moving cross country.

Tenks

All my shit gets packed up the 3rd. Flight is the 4th. First day is the 15th. My wife is super, super excited. Possibly more than me. My parents are understanding -- her's less so. Luckily my parents packed up and moved around the country when my dad was active service in the Navy so they understand the need to break out of Ohio and do your own thing. Her parents have never left their home town so they're a bit less understanding about the whole thing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Awesome, still jealous haha.

I'm feeling weird looking already, and I've been getting a ton of hits so I'm thinking it's going to happen sooner rather than later here. The one manager I had a phone screen with yesterday asked me the dumbest fucking questions that we mutually agreed it wasn't a good fit. He didn't want me and I didn't want to work there.

Tenks

A few of the questions on the written test at Blizzard were "Why the fuck would I ever need to do that?" questions. Or questions that would have easily been solved in 2 minutes if Google was available. I'm not entirely sure thats the best way to go about hiring people. During the face to face interview I even asked them why there are so many questions about the guts implementation of standard Java libraries and if they ever feel like they need to modify the implementations and they admitted they do not.

Some questions they asked I felt were also good. So I guess more a mixed bag.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When he asked me what C keyword I would use to ensure that a register read was successful I'm still unsure what he was getting at. I don't know if he thought the variable needed to be volatile or something. Plus even more hilarious was I had no idea what he was saying, it sounded like he was saying "zeekey word" and I was like wtf is this guy saying.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
No one should feel cool writing assembly. Its like a hipster listening to a record. Everything is shittier about the experience they just want to say they're using something old.
Don't you like collect jeans or something, bro?

Sorry...You struck a nerve with the vinyl comment.

Tenks

Don't you like collect jeans or something, bro?

Sorry...You struck a nerve with the vinyl comment.
I don't see how me and my jeans has anything to do with you preferring to listen to a media that sounds like a broken MP3 player

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
20% of boards running my BIOS at our motherboard vendor are halting at a certain post code. None in our lab or any system integrators experiencing it. Yet they believe it is a bios bug and not a procedure issue.

This is why I might need to go to China... Kill me.

Also no one in the companies is helping respond to the vendor. I've only been here 8 months..

And it's fixed by reflashing the bios.

Vinen

God is dead
20% of boards running my BIOS at our motherboard vendor are halting at a certain post code. None in our lab or any system integrators experiencing it. Yet they believe it is a bios bug and not a procedure issue.

This is why I might need to go to China... Kill me.

Also no one in the companies is helping respond to the vendor. I've only been here 8 months..

And it's fixed by reflashing the bios.
Ouch. Well.

I'm bias but I'd love to go to China again. Wife and I cann'd our trip this year due to the uncertainty of her fathers Cancer diagnosis.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guess I'll start. I have a job interview maybe this week or next at raytheon for a software engineering position. It said c++ and/or java so I applied not knowing much java but since I've done c++ professionally I figured it would be ok.

It's been a couple years since I've been mainly doing only C lately. What topics should I really brush up on. Was thinking obviously classes in general, inheritance, polymorphism, some of the smaller things like vectors, memory management, differences from C. Any major topics I'll want to look at?

I've heard raytheon doesn't ask many technical questions, but given my luck lately they will. It being so close with C I definitely feel confident with the basics but just want to cover stuff I haven't used in awhile.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am going to re-up my certs this year and make a push for something bigger. I have been rolling around this job for too long. Really tired of municipal work environments.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Funnily enough my best c++ project was a text adventure game where I needed to do all this stuff. It was a 4 man job but I did it solely myself. So i have that covered.

I wanted to look up topics so if they asked in general i could give the textbook answers

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Funnily enough my best c++ project was a text adventure game where I needed to do all this stuff. It was a 4 man job but I did it solely myself. So i have that covered.

I wanted to look up topics so if they asked in general i could give the textbook answers

Guess I'll start. I have a job interview maybe this week or next at raytheon for a software engineering position. It said c++ and/or java so I applied not knowing much java but since I've done c++ professionally I figured it would be ok.

It's been a couple years since I've been mainly doing only C lately. What topics should I really brush up on. Was thinking obviously classes in general, inheritance, polymorphism, some of the smaller things like vectors, memory management, differences from C. Any major topics I'll want to look at?

I've heard raytheon doesn't ask many technical questions, but given my luck lately they will. It being so close with C I definitely feel confident with the basics but just want to cover stuff I haven't used in awhile.

If you are required to do anything on the white board then you might want:

leetcode.com
geeksforgeeks.org, and

https://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/0984782850

Vinen

God is dead

Goodluck. I wouldn't wish working at Raytheon on anyone.

I interned there all three summoners while in College. You actually don't need to do anything once you are hired. The processes are so thick that you will just end up at Six Sigma classes for the rest of your life.

I felt no pain when I gave up my clearance by marrying a Chinese woman.

Last edited: