IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Are we at the point where we don't need new languages? C, Java, and Python seem adaptable enough that they evolve to incorporate new features. Learning new languages is a giant pain in the ass.

I doubt that. There is always room for improvement. For example: Elixir is new and it is an attempt to improve Ruby/Rails; Julia is new and it is an attempt to improve scientific computing. The staples will remain but there will always be new stuff breaking through here and there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What does Elixir do that Ruby cannot incorporate in a version update? Honest question, I have no experience with either language.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What does Elixir do that Ruby cannot incorporate in a version update? Honest question, I have no experience with either language.

Concurrency. Its also built on top of Erlang VM so its full of stable and well working libraries that been developed and tested over the last 30 years.

Vinen

God is dead
Until Academia ceases to exist we will keep getting endless languages optimized for unique situations.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's billed as C++ and/or Java so I'm just going to tell them I don't know Java but I'm confident I could come up to speed quickly. It's been awhile since I've done C++ so I'm just brushing up on the main differences from C that I forgot.

Java isn't on my resume so I am hoping (LOL) that someone actually read it.

Is it for an actual defense position or with a non-defense client? Most of the DOD clients will ask you straight outta the text book questions. The non-defense ones will be a mixed bag.

I just interviewed for a couple of positions - one with Lockheed Martin and one with General Dynamics - both DOD positions. I mostly just want the security clearance so I can never not have a job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is it for an actual defense position or with a non-defense client? Most of the DOD clients will ask you straight outta the text book questions. The non-defense ones will be a mixed bag.

I just interviewed for a couple of positions - one with Lockheed Martin and one with General Dynamics - both DOD positions. I mostly just want the security clearance so I can never not have a job.
The job description is very light on wording of what the job is. As far as I know it is an actual defense position.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is that even possible? Seems like it's always been pick 2:
  • Ease of use
  • Abstraction
  • Performance

I've been very pleased with Python libraries implemented in C. cElementTree is up 5x faster than ElementTree which makes me wonder why ElementTree even exists. Actually, scratch that, I think they did make cElementTree the default in Python 3. I hate being stuck in Python 2 sometimes...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know much about Lisp but I've used a bit of scheme, which I understand is based on Lisp. I'm not sure it would qualify for the ease of use category.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well interview is today, little nervous but everything I've read states the interviews there are very laid back.

I spent last night reviewing classes and OOP stuff (good thing I did, I forgot a lot). I figure if they ask a couple text book questions I can at least fumble through them, if they go real deep like some places have I'll just throw around some BS.

Being 4 years out from school I'm pretty annoyed that people still ask technical textbook questions in interviews. I shouldn't have to study a textbook to go on a job interview. I should just be able to say "I did this for 3 years, I did this for a year"

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well interview is today, little nervous but everything I've read states the interviews there are very laid back.

I spent last night reviewing classes and OOP stuff (good thing I did, I forgot a lot). I figure if they ask a couple text book questions I can at least fumble through them, if they go real deep like some places have I'll just throw around some BS.

Being 4 years out from school I'm pretty annoyed that people still ask technical textbook questions in interviews. I shouldn't have to study a textbook to go on a job interview. I should just be able to say "I did this for 3 years, I did this for a year"

Good luck dude, although I don't really recommend going to work for Raytheon I hope you get options.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Curious why not? Besides the sit at a desk twiddling thumbs all day aspect

Those large defense firms seriously are a black hole of red tape and management, and little to no opportunity to innovate. They often use really old, shitty technology because you're supporting a product that was deployed in 1985 and they can't update because Congress cut the funding, or it has to be EMP hardened so you're writing assembly for a 386.

Or you have a manager who has worked for Raytheon since he graduated college in 1979 and knows "the way" and you will follow it, son.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well I'm gonna feel it out. I should also say the campus is 23 minutes from my house

Thats fine, just be cognizant of what you're going into.

I learned and advanced my career BY FAR the most the years I was consulting and never stayed at any place longer than 4-5 months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider

Not sure how far you are in your career, but in my experience the further you get in your career, it is indeed more around what have you done and how well you can articulate it. I've interviewed countless people and I can't remember the last time I asked a truly "technical" question.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finished up the interview, it was 3 hours long and fairly easy.

The first guy was technical and asked a FUCK TON of oop questions. If I didn't study last night i would've just ended it there. Little annoyed he asked a lot of Java questions despite me telling him I only did it for 1 semester 6 years ago and it not being on my resume, but he ended up working with me. He was pretty pleased with with most of my answers. There were a few I had no idea what he was talking about and had to say the dreaded "I don't know" . He told me I did good so hopefully.

The last 3 people were managers and it was really informal, mostly conversational and show and tells from them. The last guy I couldn't quite read. He didn't understand what bios was so I needed to explain it which is fine.

They all questioned why I left Emc and I was just honest - wasn't moving up and the merger happened.

The place was awesome but I saw 1 young guy out of the 50ish old guys I saw. Definitely a company that's going to have a mass retirement issue in a couple years.

Also they were just interviewing me with no idea what position I applied for. I don't even know what the process was but I was definitely interviewing for the company and not for the specific job.

All in all about 75% confident. If they offer anything even close to my salary I'm gonna take it.