IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
Dude anything is better than where I am
You at least have a growth-path at your current job. You will never grow at a Defense Contractor. Your skills will die and become irrelevant and you will forever be dreading the next layoff induced by changes in the Government.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Noodle you don't always have to work for giant companies. Small shops can be where its at.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I went from what was AG Edwards before wachovia bought them doing tier 2 support to a 50 person company where I am one of two IT people and it was the best decision I ever made. There is so much freedom that was never available in a large corporation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To be honest I don't care where i work. I just want something stable. This place is way too tied to profits for me. I'm sure Emc was too, but it wasn't shoved in our faces. Here literally everyday someone brings up budget and I'm like what the fuck do I care I just write code.

Taking the train full time now. Commuter rail is fucking awesome. Red line in the city is awful. I think the homeless take shits on the stairs.

Vinen

God is dead
Noodle you don't always have to work for giant companies. Small shops can be where its at.

Yep. A good small company
To be honest I don't care where i work. I just want something stable. This place is way too tied to profits for me. I'm sure Emc was too, but it wasn't shoved in our faces. Here literally everyday someone brings up budget and I'm like what the fuck do I care I just write code.

Taking the train full time now. Commuter rail is fucking awesome. Red line in the city is awful. I think the homeless take shits on the stairs.

And Raytheon's budget is tied to the president which gets elected.... Have fun when Politics and Work mix.

Can you handle dealing with Trump voters everyday? That's what you get when you go to a Defense Contractor.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Trying to solve the problem of efficiently scanning huge logs and I can't quite come up with a solution. I'm trying to be a flexible as possible because the logs are scanned in many different ways including:
  • Finding the biggest number of a certain type
  • Do something if a regex matches
  • Do something if a string is in the log
  • Do something if one of many strings is in the log
  • Break on a match or continue scanning the log
  • Parse the entire log
This is compounded by code being edited by several people over the years who made no effort to piggy back off existing code that was already going through a log they wanted. So, now a log that can be 100s of GBs large is scanned multiple times in an inefficient line by line manner.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damn interview is thursday. They didn't even do a phone screen or anything. I have no idea what they're even looking for.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's a large defense contractor, they're looking for someone to sit in a chair that they can bill the government for.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I get that, but I don't want to walk in there and just be like durr durrrr

Although they got my resume and invited me in like 2 days later without ever talking to me. Is it just me or is that weird? I've never had a job NOT phone screen you.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I get that, but I don't want to walk in there and just be like durr durrrr

Although they got my resume and invited me in like 2 days later without ever talking to me. Is it just me or is that weird? I've never had a job NOT phone screen you.

It's Java and C++ right? I'd assume you're competent in C++ but with java I'd just say it's been a while since I've done it but I'm confident I can come up to speed and be a productive member of the team in any language.

You'll be spending 90% of your time filling out TPS reports anyway so proficiency with any particular language probably isn't a show stopper.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's billed as C++ and/or Java so I'm just going to tell them I don't know Java but I'm confident I could come up to speed quickly. It's been awhile since I've done C++ so I'm just brushing up on the main differences from C that I forgot.

Java isn't on my resume so I am hoping (LOL) that someone actually read it.