IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That sounds really fuckin weird that you can't find anyone... Are you sending your dick in a text when you call these people?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Pay more.

You know, I just read through the "what do you do" thread...I've got 7 years experience in IT, well versed in most everything windows server/desktop and quite a bit else...And realized how incredibly underpaid I am. Goddamn what I wouldn't give for an opportunity like your job, Vinen. Its fucking sad how underpaid I am. Like, really. I make sub 50k..

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
On that note, is it really a job-seekers market for IT in the Dallas area? I mean, we're looking for entry level-3 yrs exp. Its not like we're seeking the diamond in the rough. I mean, yes, theres customer facing support involved but its very IT--SQL server, Win2k3-2k12R2, server installs, etc..But nobody fucking responds. They send resumes, and then never respond to emails/calls

Shit, if its this good for a job seeker I'm taking my 7 year experience ass elsewhere for 70k+ a year, instead of the mid level pay I've got right now.

How quick are you calling? I just recently peppered my resume all around NC and it was kind of an odd experience because I heard almost nothing aside from the random canned "thank you but we decided on another candidate," emails for about a month, then everyone called me at once. The first company that met my wish list to make an offer I accepted and suddenly had a hard time letting all the others know I was no longer looking.

Vinen

God is dead
You know, I just read through the "what do you do" thread...I've got 7 years experience in IT, well versed in most everything windows server/desktop and quite a bit else...And realized how incredibly underpaid I am. Goddamn what I wouldn't give for an opportunity like your job, Vinen. Its fucking sad how underpaid I am. Like, really. I make sub 50k..

I'm not sure what the market is in that area anymore.
Are you doing Desktop support? Desktop Builds? Server Builds? All of the above?

Pretty much anything Build is being automated away slowly.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure what the market is in that area anymore.
Are you doing Desktop support? Desktop Builds? Server Builds? All of the above?

Pretty much anything Build is being automated away slowly.

I do desktop and server support. On site server installs. Sql administration. Also have a good portion of day to day admin tasks. Installs include domain migration and firewall setup. Honestly i touch a little bit of everything IT outside of linux. My previpus position was sys admin for 6 and a half years. Just got this job in feb after being laid off tho. Gonna stick it out to the raise point ( fixed in the year as company policy) and see what they do for me.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I do desktop and server support. On site server installs. Sql administration. Also have a good portion of day to day admin tasks. Installs include domain migration and firewall setup. Honestly i touch a little bit of everything IT outside of linux. My previpus position was sys admin for 6 and a half years. Just got this job in feb after being laid off tho. Gonna stick it out to the raise point ( fixed in the year as company policy) and see what they do for me.
Yes a bunch of banks are moving infrastructure to Dallas. My giant-meglo-corp just opened a datacenter in one of the suburbs (which is next to the suburb where one of the larger offices are) specifically to service big4 and giant banks there.

Your biggest problem is probably that the salary range isn't public or isn't high enough.

I'm casually looking in what is an effectively negative unemployment field and I ask 3 questions of the recruiters/HR shitheels (mostly "undisclosed companies"):
Where in the metro region is it located (specific suburb)?
What's the exact pay range?
What's the company name?

If I don't get a straight answer on all of those in the next email I let them know the discussion is over.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Working on a why my goddamn spanning tree tripped my open public wifi and I have to drop everything I am doing because some fucking cunt can't turn on her printer.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Holy crap, this is a negative unemployment market for this field...
Took a look at what I could find? People with less qualifications than me can make 5-10k more than I make.

I'm saddened now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Holy crap, this is a negative unemployment market for this field...
Took a look at what I could find? People with less qualifications than me can make 5-10k more than I make.

I'm saddened now.
IT Security is big business and even worse in a market with an appetite.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looks like I'm getting a job offer. Well.. I think, the email was very cryptic. They thought the interviews were extremely positive and want to move forward - I assume that means an offer and not more interviews but I guess you never know.

The pay level for this job isn't exactly in-line with what I'm making so I'll have to bargain a bit and see if it's worth it - might be if we take away what I'm paying to take the train ($500/month)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Looks like I'm getting a job offer. Well.. I think, the email was very cryptic. They thought the interviews were extremely positive and want to move forward - I assume that means an offer and not more interviews but I guess you never know.

The pay level for this job isn't exactly in-line with what I'm making so I'll have to bargain a bit and see if it's worth it - might be if we take away what I'm paying to take the train ($500/month)
How's that compare to what you'll spend on gas and/or parking? Are there any tertiary benefits (free food, free snacks, etc)? Before taking a new job I'd suggest taking an honest assessment of the unpriced benefits you have now and comparing them with what you would have at the new place. I turned down a raise and a much shorter commute because of those hidden benefits.

Did you tell them what you make now? One tip I've come to love is to never tell a recruiter what I make, but to tell them what it would cost for me to change positions/companies. I do the same at every interview. "What are you making now?" "It would take $X for me to leave."

I always look at position changes/new jobs/new companies as the time to get that raise, because most places I've been don't do a good job of giving in-place raises or "re-incentivizing" their current employees.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Noodle, do you currently have a clearance and does tbe Raytheon one require one? A slightly lower offer may be worthworth if it you don't have one and you get one through them. That is if you want to end up doing DoD work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How's that compare to what you'll spend on gas and/or parking? Are there any tertiary benefits (free food, free snacks, etc)? Before taking a new job I'd suggest taking an honest assessment of the unpriced benefits you have now and comparing them with what you would have at the new place. I turned down a raise and a much shorter commute because of those hidden benefits.

Did you tell them what you make now? One tip I've come to love is to never tell a recruiter what I make, but to tell them what it would cost for me to change positions/companies. I do the same at every interview. "What are you making now?" "It would take $X for me to leave."

I always look at position changes/new jobs/new companies as the time to get that raise, because most places I've been don't do a good job of giving in-place raises or "re-incentivizing" their current employees.
Early on she asked me what it would take to leave and I bumped up what I make now a little bit, so she has some idea but I never gave her a hard number.

In terms of parking, it's free where I'll be going and I'll barely be spending anything on gas to get there (highway 20 minutes). There is a cafeteria, gym, and some other benefits but I don't know what's free.

One thing I know is the health insurance is way cheaper than what I pay now - my health plan now is absolutely goddamn ridiculous.

I do have tax concerns working out of state, but I don't think it's really a detrimental thing just so much as I need to look into it. A few years ago my wife had a bunch of trouble working in RI but living in MA - although they rectified a lot of the problems she had and she even got reimbursed by the state.

So I'm already looking at roughly a $6k travel difference - with gas really being negligible especially with my car, so I'm taking that into consideration.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle, do you currently have a clearance and does tbe Raytheon one require one? A slightly lower offer may be worthworth if it you don't have one and you get one through them. That is if you want to end up doing DoD work.
I don't have one and the job (if I am being offered the one I applied for - like I said, no one interviewing me knew what I was applying for) requires Secret clearance.