IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Long term, I probably will, but I want to get my foot in the door and see how things are before I'll know what I want to specialize in. I'm even considering trying programming, just don't know that I'll enjoy it as much.

I'm talking about just getting in as a network administrator or something along those lines for a small to medium size company.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Long term, I probably will, but I want to get my foot in the door and see how things are before I'll know what I want to specialize in. I'm even considering trying programming, just don't know that I'll enjoy it as much.

I'm talking about just getting in as a network administrator or something along those lines for a small to medium size company.
I know the mega-corp I work for takes a bunch of tech NTS interns from the local community colleges, and unless they're flat out stupid they get a job after. Might be worth it to get an AA in something computery.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Government and mega corps still have standard IT admin work available. Ideally though you'll want to get in on Docker, puppet, public clouds and the devops scene and get sharp in scripting at the very least. No one is turning down solid Python skills - or PowerShell in the windows world.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I know the mega-corp I work for takes a bunch of tech NTS interns from the local community colleges, and unless they're flat out stupid they get a job after. Might be worth it to get an AA in something computery.
That's what I'm wondering about, is it more efficient to do a computer degree, or just focus on some individual accreditations? While I'm sure there's different ones now, are things like N+ and MCSE crap relevant to employers in lieu of years of experience to at least consider the applicant?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
That's what I'm wondering about, is it more efficient to do a computer degree, or just focus on some individual accreditations? While I'm sure there's different ones now, are things like N+ and MCSE crap relevant to employers in lieu of years of experience to at least consider the applicant?

You can probably jump on a help desk with certs and no experience. It can be a good deal if you're motivated and are able to create your own opportunities to branch out and touch other technologies that you'd like to work with. If you have the time and resources a CS degree is worth it but it's mostly going to help you in the software development field. While I don't exactly subscribe to the belief that operations/administration is dying, I am seeing first hand that it is swinging more toward the development side than ever before and where as you used to have admins for each little piece of infrastructure, were expected to be able to do it all and mostly within software defined tool sets.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I live in the midwest, things seem to be about 10 years behind the rest of the world out here. I still see tons of admin positions on job sites whenever I look. I'm sure I can evolve with things as they progress, once I'm back into it. I do have a fair amount of customer service experience, but I was hoping to avoid that route as I've grown to hate it over time. Getting some certs is easier for my situation, just wanted to make sure they weren't semi-worthless these days. 10 years ago, having a fair amount of them meant you could get almost any job you found regardless of experience.

Appreciate the advice though, everyone.

agripa

Molten Core Raider

If you are interested in infosec at all and you should be if you are not. I would look into getting certifications from GIAC the rest are pretty garbage certs. The OSCP is good too if you are interested in PEN testing or being on a red team.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I recognize all the words in that post as english.... but I have almost no idea what you just said, rofl. After a quick google search, I know all the acronyms, but.. Red team?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Enzee Enzee what I do right now is just management of personnel. Since I am bored of that I have been trying to learn a lot of different things and find a niche I might like to move into. I spent a lot of time on r/homelab.

Now I have this server and you guys hosted on it when two months ago I didn't know how to set up a web server. I bought some hardware and tossed it online at home and just kept reading and trying things.

To me Linux is much easier than Windows administration. Others might disagree.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
@a_skeleton_03 yea, I'd actually love your current position. If you are familiar with Briggs-Meyer, I'm an ENTJ (aka 'field marshal'), and project management/personnel manager is exactly what I'm best at. I tried to get involved in film during college, and producer was my de facto position for the same reason.

I was never the most hardcore technical guy, but I always know enough to know when someone else knows what they are talking about. In my dream scenario, I'm managing an IT/coding department or team in a few years after getting into the industry. Or, actually, being a project manager where I put together different teams every so often to keep it fresh.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am unfortunately managing satellite communications and not server admin like I would prefer but I do enjoy it. Just would rather switch into something that interests me more and I don't feel like supervising without knowing close to everything that my employees know.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure I fully understand birth tourism/anchor baby stuff but they weren't kidding pregnant Chinese women are all over the place in Irvine. I've seen at least 8 different ones just at my complex.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you are interested in infosec at all and you should be if you are not. I would look into getting certifications from GIAC the rest are pretty garbage certs. The OSCP is good too if you are interested in PEN testing or being on a red team.
Yeah, the SANS certs are actually valuable (and you can probably learn something from the courses), and the CISSP is a decent benchmark of how hard a candidate is willing to try to get a cert (regardless of being a garbage cert, it's still "the barrier to entry").

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure I fully understand birth tourism/anchor baby stuff but they weren't kidding pregnant Chinese women are all over the place in Irvine. I've seen at least 8 different ones just at my complex.
Yeah, there's a really big population of immigrant asian peoples in orange county and socal in general. Large range of economic status as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm looking into it. The facility is 20 minutes from my house and the tour they gave me really made me a bit impressed. They were not shy about using old tech like programming in Ada though.

Im tired of what I'm doing.