IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm writing an xming guide for getting a Solaris desktop up on your laptop.

The guy showed me his desktop once and refuses to share the xmingrc file or anything so I'm just guessing.

He's been here like 90 years so you know he wrote that shit in like 1996

Fucking LOL.

Man. I am so glad I don't work at a Defense Contractor anymore.

//Then again I am in Bulgaria right now...

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'm writing an xming guide for getting a Solaris desktop up on your laptop.

The guy showed me his desktop once and refuses to share the xmingrc file or anything so I'm just guessing.

He's been here like 90 years so you know he wrote that shit in like 1996

6360177440427218171513378839_disappointment-sign.jpg

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
IT job postings continue to crack me up.

*edit - Also, pay is 68k...in Los Angeles

DICE said:
  • Willingness to participate in the continuous improvement of our system builds and infrastructure.
  • Experience with Server/Workstation build, deploy, configure, troubleshooting
  • Flexibility, this is a dynamic production environment.
  • BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
  • Practical experience with Vmware, VDI, PCOIP, airwatch
  • Proficiency with Ubuntu Server and Workstation (12.04, 14.04, 16.04)
  • Experience with color calibration
  • Windows server administration (A/D, Exchange)
  • Practical experience with Vmware, VDI, PCOIP
  • Scripting experience (python, bash, go) helpful
  • Network configuration and troubleshooting
  • Experience configuring managed switches, provisioning ports, creating vlans, etc.
  • Understanding of VPN tunnels, PTP circuits
  • Windows domain maintenance (Group Policy, Permissions, DNS, DHCP)
  • Render Farm Management, configuration & Maintenance
  • Network File system management / administration
  • Network software deployment / maintenance (Ubuntu/NFS) - Maya, Nuke, Motionbuilder, etc
  • Debian Package Management / Repository maintenance
  • Experience with creating Debian Packages
  • Experience using Puppet / PXE Build Systems
  • Desktop / Help desk support skills.
  • Basic DBA experience (Mysql, PosgreSQL)
  • Supervisord, init.d scripts
  • Some lifting required (deploying workstations, monitors, etc.)
  • Experience with Maya, MotionBuilder or similar graphics applications.
  • Working knowledge POSIX and ACL file permissions
  • Ability to collaborate with / help to support collaboration between local and distant sites
  • Experience with near-line configurations, tape robots, backup software, basic tar tools
  • Avid workstation and storage support

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IT job postings continue to crack me up.

*edit - Also, pay is 68k...in Los Angeles

I wouldn't even read something that long. It's obviously three jobs. How do you know it's 68k, is that actually part of job ads in the US?

My favorite one was the one with 5 years of HTML5 experience, in 2014.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I wouldn't even read something that long. It's obviously three jobs. How do you know it's 68k, is that actually part of job ads in the US?

My favorite one was the one with 5 years of HTML5 experience, in 2014.

That job was sent to me via a recruiter who included the salary but more often than not, I find the salaries listed. I honestly don't even look at them without one.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That reminds me, why are recruiters often stingy about telling you how much the job pays? If it meets my requirements, I will more than likely talk to you about the job. But if it's noticeably below what I would need to hop jobs, why do they still insist on calling you and trying to sell you on it? Simple "This job pays between X and Y depending on skill" email saves both of us time. Yet, I can think of 1...maybe 2 recruiters that answered that immediately.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
That reminds me, why are recruiters often stingy about telling you how much the job pays? If it meets my requirements, I will more than likely talk to you about the job. But if it's noticeably below what I would need to hop jobs, why do they still insist on calling you and trying to sell you on it? Simple "This job pays between X and Y depending on skill" email saves both of us time. Yet, I can think of 1...maybe 2 recruiters that answered that immediately.

They want to get you emotionally invested so that you'll be less likely to say no when they hit you with the bullshit offer.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The amount of recruiters that want to talk on the phone rather than communicate over email or linkedin is baffling to me.

Also, they constantly refuse to tell me who the hiring company is. Bitch if I was interested in actually getting the job I'd just search that specific title and find it on someone's career page. I'm not trying to cut you out, but there are companies I just don't want to work for.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, I never understood that either. Hell, I've had people tell me it was unethical (direct quote) to ask salary until after at least the 1st interview. So, you want me to presumably burn a day off work to interview and not even know if the salary puts a roof over my head? Seems legit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They want to get you emotionally invested so that you'll be less likely to say no when they hit you with the bullshit offer.

I mean, I know what you're saying, I get your point. I'm just debating how often it actually works to the very end of the process. Get the recruit excited(sounds cool, I'll interview just in case, maybe they won't actually offer me something anyway, etc), go through the whole process, but when the offer finally does come through, that's got to be one awesome job in order to compromise my financial requirements. Emotions don't pay bills.

The amount of recruiters that want to talk on the phone rather than communicate over email or linkedin is baffling to me.

Also, they constantly refuse to tell me who the hiring company is. Bitch if I was interested in actually getting the job I'd just search that specific title and find it on someone's career page. I'm not trying to cut you out, but there are companies I just don't want to work for.

Tight-lipped recruiters make me want to bypass them just to spite them. My current employer griped about having to pay the finders fee while we were negotiating. Like, first of all, why didn't you say that sooner in the process(yeah yeah, legally shady...)? Second, this is the only way I found out about the job using 5 different job websites. Your lack of exposure is on you.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I mean, I know what you're saying, I get your point. I'm just debating how often it actually works to the very end of the process. Get the recruit excited(sounds cool, I'll interview just in case, maybe they won't actually offer me something anyway, etc), go through the whole process, but when the offer finally does come through, that's got to be one awesome job in order to compromise my financial requirements. Emotions don't pay bills.

Ask used car dealers how often their "make you wait in the office while they talk to the manager" schtick works. People are goddamn morons.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here salary is never listed unless it's public employment. You're supposed to say how much you expect to be paid, and then there's two possible responses to that.

It's like a fucking bazaar and everyone hates it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
To minimize their cost, any employer or intermediary (to maximize cut that is often already fixed at an agreed upon market rate with their client) wants to get you interested, liking and commited to the job FIRST! Then human psychology takes over works in their advantage with respect to actual contract price/salary which is easier to haggle once you actually warm to the position.

"ooooh look at this sexy..... oooohhh aaahh" and once you want it..... price is *more* negotiable =)

It requires a HUGE amount of effort and experience on the side of the employee looking for work in order to actually negotiate *well*, or even at all, on the salary. Employers take advantage. Just one of many good reasons.

That said, a lot the job postings are very obviously NOT meant to be filled (by locals!).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ask used car dealers how often their "make you wait in the office while they talk to the manager" schtick works. People are goddamn morons.

Touche :( I fell for that one buying my first new car.

Probably fell for some stupid recruiter tricks first time too. Oh well, live and learn, cars and recruiters.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Here salary is never listed unless it's public employment. You're supposed to say how much you expect to be paid, and then there's two possible responses to that.

It's like a fucking bazaar and everyone hates it.
The studies or whatever say whoever starts the salary conversation has the upperhand. I'm not sure I agree with that unless both company and potential-employee have a strong mutual desire for the relationship to work. If I give a number and it's too high I get told "That probably won't work for this position"... well good, then fuck off.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, what sites should I be browsing to find good network engineering type jobs? I got my CE-A a few months back, my JNCIA a couple weeks ago, and I am working to reup my CCENT and get my CCNA before the end of the year. I have over 10 years of telecomm experience, including a year of engineering for T1-OC192 break/fix.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've gotten most new jobs/job-offers via word of mouth from contacts at other companys/groups. Otherwise you can check indeed.com or even LinkedIn, though I don't really recommend the latter.