IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Wait a company forces you to get that bogus cert?

It's required for admin access in any/all dod agencies. It's some bullshit for sure. All of the compTIA certs require continuous education now too or they expire in 3 years.

Vinen

God is dead
It's required for admin access in any/all dod agencies. It's some bullshit for sure. All of the compTIA certs require continuous education now too or they expire in 3 years.

Wow. That's pretty sad.

CompTIA is grade A scum. Zero value from most of their certs.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wow. That's pretty sad.

CompTIA is grade A scum. Zero value from most of their certs.

I agree. It wouldn't be that bad at 5 years with a reduced cost. Comptia is scam levels. Shit don't change that fast. I am still using concepts I learned 18 years ago.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Wait... it's not SPECIFICALLY the Security+, but a cert that meets a specific standard, right? I took my CISSP a few years ago and a bunch of DoD people were in the class because it met the standard.

CISSP is a great cert to get a new job with btw, rather than Security+, but they're both still bogus.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wait... it's not SPECIFICALLY the Security+, but a cert that meets a specific standard, right? I took my CISSP a few years ago and a bunch of DoD people were in the class because it met the standard.

CISSP is a great cert to get a new job with btw, rather than Security+, but they're both still bogus.
Yeah you can do CISSP, any equivalent. That is why most do CCNA instead of Net+ because it's more useful. Most aren't ready for CISSP and go the easier Sec+ route.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't think I need any of the certs as a software engineer.
There's ALWAYS cert for anything, especially security/defense industries.

Most of them are good for resume polishing or new jobs aaaaand that's it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Noodleface Noodleface ....
You should never need any *badges* such as this as an engineer because you are expected to understand how things work from first principles and be able to design systems. Specifically software ones for which people might then come up with badges to give out to others for *appearing* to use your system well.

However it might be unwise to dismiss them completely....

Specific certs can be quite usefull for engineers, especially in earlier part of their career (when youre lacking practical hands on experience, first decade perhaps? and in new domains later), as a quick and easy FIRST look into how a system the engineer is expected to be working on (designing/maintaing/whatever) actually works and is used in practice. They can be a great quick and dirty training map of sorts to guide a novice or student to get a feel for work they might encounter.

Or if you move into consulting career options as an engineer (ka$hing!) (to sell yourself better).

I would ask your boss/manager if there are ANY certs/training courses available for USERS of whatever system you are working on, that you could take yourself to better understand and work with systems you are involved with.... if youre planning on staying a while that is :) .

But other than a token badge or an excuse to train, IT Certs work..... kind of.... maybe..... in general .... not really at all. Except in what they were designed for: to help people make money off Certs!

Sad new reality these days.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm in a security+ boot camp style class on ft Bragg. It's geared towards soldiers so it's basically telling me what to memorize.

I'm a contractor and Security+ is a requirement of the contract I'm working on so I can't sub CISSP.i have to get it within six months or I'll get fired. I also have to get MCSA but theres no timeline on it like there is for security+.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm in a security+ boot camp style class on ft Bragg. It's geared towards soldiers so it's basically telling me what to memorize.

I'm a contractor and Security+ is a requirement of the contract I'm working on so I can't sub CISSP.i have to get it within six months or I'll get fired. I also have to get MCSA but theres no timeline on it like there is for security+.
If you read the contract I would guarantee it says "or higher, or equivalent" something like that.

That is how the contract is written for every contractor we have on base here (like 20 of them).

Where are you working out of? The NEC?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I work for usasoc. My boss told me it had to be security+ but maybe that's just what the company prefers.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I work for usasoc. My boss told me it had to be security+ but maybe that's just what the company prefers.
Probably easier for them to ensure it meets the requirements.

https://ia.signal.army.mil/docs/857001m.pdf

This is the reference but they have taken the table of "approved" certs out from what I can see. It is Appendix 3.

They have instead moved to this site: DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications you can do any of the ones in those blocks to fulfill those requirements.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I would push back on that, CISSP should be the golden ticket over the sec+. Unless their contract states its Sec+ only, Army regs will take it. Cant speak for the NEC there but they should be following those regs. Maybe the boss hasnt worked with someone with a CISSP before?
If the company is pushing for it, ask if its due to getting an account of something. In which case you can teach the boss a new trick. Could be some odd thing but that would be backwards.

I have seen some odd crap, like company only taking ppl with Bach and up due to someone forgetting a comma in the contract.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I would push back on that, CISSP should be the golden ticket over the sec+. Unless their contract states its Sec+ only, Army regs will take it. Cant speak for the NEC there but they should be following those regs. Maybe the boss hasnt worked with someone with a CISSP before?
If the company is pushing for it, ask if its due to getting an account of something. In which case you can teach the boss a new trick. Could be some odd thing but that would be backwards.

I have seen some odd crap, like company only taking ppl with Bach and up due to someone forgetting a comma in the contract.

The other issue though is that even if the contract allows any certification for 8570, the company probably would not reimburse me for CISSP where as they definitely will for Sec+ (1 try anyway).