IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I copied and pasted a vba macro for Excel to keep a log of what changes in a spreadsheet, unfortunately i need to customize it slightly to include the project name located in the first column and I'm completely clueless. Anyone know this stuff?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I copied and pasted a vba macro for Excel to keep a log of what changes in a spreadsheet, unfortunately i need to customize it slightly to include the project name located in the first column and I'm completely clueless. Anyone know this stuff?

Link me to the code dog.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Link me to the code dog.

The data is coming from a table, so the "change made to" column with the cell address isn't helpful. What I'd like to do is have the actual project name in that place which is in the first column, or 4 columns to the left of the target cell (project name column A, field i want to record changes in is column E). I don't really care about the rest of the sheets changes if that helps. I tried changing cll.Address to cll - 4 Column.Value but that was a bust. Muchos gracias, i will forever like your posts.

Option Explicit

Const intUsernameColumn = 1
Const intCellRefColumn = 2
Const intNewValueColumn = 3
Const intTimestampColumn = 4

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim shtLog As Worksheet
Dim cll As Variant
Dim lngNextRow As Long

Set shtLog = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Log")

For Each cll In Target.Cells

lngNextRow = shtLog.Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], Searchorder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row + 1

shtLog.Cells(lngNextRow, intUsernameColumn).Value = Environ("username")
shtLog.Cells(lngNextRow, intCellRefColumn).Value = cll.Address
shtLog.Cells(lngNextRow, intNewValueColumn).Value = cll.Value
shtLog.Cells(lngNextRow, intTimestampColumn).Value = Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yy hh:mm:ss")

Next cll

End Sub

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Crone Crone I'll give some advice as a dude that went back to school late in life. Now a distinction I'll make up front is that my degree is in computer engineering, but it has a very similar course track to computer science. I only say this because myself and Deathwing are a couple of the few doing coding that didn't go for the traditional computer science route.

First off don't switch majors yet. Way too many people get into programming and find they hate it. Even if you think you're going to love it, when you're knee deep debugging several thousand lines of code across thousands of source files to figure out why a bit is being set to 0 when it should be set to 1 you start to rethink your life.

If you enjoy scripting take a look at some of the languages that are more geared towards that. although I typically wouldn't recommend python to a beginner because it's a bit high level, it's probably the easiest language to understand. There's a good series of python tutorials out there like Teach Yourself Python the Hard Way or whatever it's called. Also their official site has good tutorials.

Code camps can be good or bad. Most focus on turning you into someone that can speak well towards certain aspects but they lay virtually no groundwork.

The MIT and Harvard courses (free) are very good but they do move fast.

I recommend getting your feet wet. Make a simple program. Start with just printing stuff. Maybr a rudimentary command line calculator. Do some file manipulation. If you enjoy that stuff then consider moving forward professionally.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bro, keep on your path at university if you want that particular field. If you want a really strong course in software dev/programming I recommend the Full Stack Engineering cert from udacity.com. Precourses are all free and when you're ready for the actual course its $200/mo. Took me 3 months working part time then they paid me back half of what I paid them. So, in the end it cost $300. Well worth it.

I got it because I didn't feel like paying 50k for a Masters and these certs do a lot of shit that's industry standard. I like Udacity because the coursework was designed by Google/Microsoft to teach what they want devs to know.
Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a solid route once I get some stability back in my life (moving and still unemployed waiting for paperwork to finish). For sure going to be staying on my path to get my degree. That's going to help immensely in my career regardless of what path I took.

Crone Crone I'll give some advice as a dude that went back to school late in life. Now a distinction I'll make up front is that my degree is in computer engineering, but it has a very similar course track to computer science. I only say this because myself and Deathwing are a couple of the few doing coding that didn't go for the traditional computer science route.

First off don't switch majors yet. Way too many people get into programming and find they hate it. Even if you think you're going to love it, when you're knee deep debugging several thousand lines of code across thousands of source files to figure out why a bit is being set to 0 when it should be set to 1 you start to rethink your life.

If you enjoy scripting take a look at some of the languages that are more geared towards that. although I typically wouldn't recommend python to a beginner because it's a bit high level, it's probably the easiest language to understand. There's a good series of python tutorials out there like Teach Yourself Python the Hard Way or whatever it's called. Also their official site has good tutorials.

Code camps can be good or bad. Most focus on turning you into someone that can speak well towards certain aspects but they lay virtually no groundwork.

I recommend getting your feet wet. Make a simple program. Start with just printing stuff. Maybr a rudimentary command line calculator. Do some file manipulation. If you enjoy that stuff then consider moving forward professionally.

Thanks for the tips man. Right now I'm looking at some fun things to get my feet wet like XML editing (again, going back to bots as a passion), LUA, or if I want to get into the back end stuff C# or C++ are what's used. We'll see how this all pans out, as it's just a hobby right now, but my hope is I can stick with it since it'll be related directly to something I love.

Thanks guys.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Crone Crone First off don't switch majors yet. Way too many people get into programming and find they hate it. Even if you think you're going to love it, when you're knee deep debugging several thousand lines of code across thousands of source files to figure out why a bit is being set to 0 when it should be set to 1 you start to rethink your life. -----<snip>------

Nice post. I would agree 100% though I would like to comment on "they do move fast" wrt University lectures and material.

You can go as sloooooow as you like! Learn at whatever pace and order you like.

If after some dabbling in the actual programming/problem solving you do find yourself interested enough to seriously contemplate a bachelors degree in Engineering or Computer Sciecne, you can learn at 100% your own pace, at your leisure, for free!! No pressure, and no financial pressure if you are learning and dabbling in your spare time!

(Well, as free as whatever the opportunity cost lost using your spare time to learn).

You can definitely get your feet wet enough to know if you will actually like the work and theory before ploking down tens of thousands for a degree.

You can get at least the first 1-2 years of an excellent quality Computer Science degree for FREE. Without too much effort, you can gather all materials to do at LEAST first two years of a Computer Science degree, from your pick a top notch university and work through material yourself at your OWN pace!

There would be many pitfalls to avoid: it would require decent self discipline and working/learning from home can be tricky. You need to co-ordinate with your spouse/kids etc, restrict gaming ..... if you seriously want to test the waters that is.

As Noodle says though: Start actually dabbling and playing first.
There used to be a dev forum here and I am certain there are still tons of people here that would love to help give a little help or feedback even with technical questions, starter project or learning ideas and suggestions etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah Crone any programming questions just post them here.

You'd be surprised how much we all love to look at code and offer solutions, especially arguing over who had the more efficient solution.

Crone

Noodleface Noodleface Why does it not surprise me that this place has opinions? :eek:

So to everyone, what would you recommend the best place to go to get my feet wet? The most experience I have with anything is programming in Visual Basic 6.0 I believe it was back in 2000, and it was a shitty time trying to stay focused to work my way through programming a stupid program that would convert Celcius to Fahrenheit. At least 16 years ago it was shitty, but I'm older and more mature now, right? :)

I'll take a look around at Udacity, as that sounds like a pretty good place to start.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If anyone needs a project, write a wow addon updater that doesn't suck. I had a working prototype done in Python (using Beautiful Soup Lib) and SQLite that would search curseforge and wowace and compare the newest version of the searched addon in the repo to the version I had stored in the database as my installed version and if newer it would download, extract and copy to the addon folder, then update the DB.

I can't seem to find any of it now though after the move (I think it was on a thumb drive I dumped my HD contents too from my previous work PC). It wasn't a terrible amount of work as the curseforge/wowace repos are really easy to navigate programatically once you know the format. I just don't have much free time to work with right now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did have an idea for something like that but it would allow you to enter a string, perhaps from your guild leader, and it would download a list of addons in one big package.

Crone

If anyone needs a project, write a wow addon updater that doesn't suck. I had a working prototype done in Python (using Beautiful Soup Lib) and SQLite that would search curseforge and wowace and compare the newest version of the searched addon in the repo to the version I had stored in the database as my installed version and if newer it would download, extract and copy to the addon folder, then update the DB.

I can't seem to find any of it now though after the move (I think it was on a thumb drive I dumped my HD contents too from my previous work PC). It wasn't a terrible amount of work as the curseforge/wowace repos are really easy to navigate programatically once you know the format. I just don't have much free time to work with right now.
What's wrong with Curse. Why would yours be better?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Foh. Org had malware ads but that didn't stop you from going there

• 1Like

moontayle

Golden Squire
"Hey, why did this unit not do the thing we need it to do?"

*blink* "Because you decided to save time and have it do the thing using a third party solution instead of doing it natively. If you ever want to change that you know where to find me."