IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm applying for a city job as an analyst and go to send in my resume. Nope, huge online application and questionnaire. The kicker? It has to be delivered by hand or sent via post. What is this sorcery?

lol gov job. Zero pay and maybe the possibility of a pension.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Gov Contractors are a leech on tax dollars.

Yea but can you imagine telling a group of GS employees to actually build something?

356f0950a039012f2fe600163e41dd5b.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Just let me know when you want to open your own shop and start getting those contracts and taking that sweet free money.

That ship sailed the instant I married a Chinese native who refuses to get US citizen even though she was eligible before we even started dating :3.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Better if its an NH or DE scale. Not sure why GS is still used within tech realm. Everyone jumps ship to advance on both sides of the fence.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got hired the same time as a dude right out of college. I never thought I was particularly good but my experience shows through. Every 30 minutes he has to go ask the project lead about where to look to fix bugs and stuff. I don't want to be the guy to tell him that's not what they want but maybe I should.

His coding isn't even half bad when he actually gets into it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
At least he's active about asking for help. I've seen too many people just sit around doing nothing instead of asking a simple question to get a simple answer to let them proceed. I almost see it as a plus when people are active about seeking out knowledge. I'm sure in 6mo to a year he'll be self sufficient and as you already said he is a competent coder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
At least he's active about asking for help. I've seen too many people just sit around doing nothing instead of asking a simple question to get a simple answer to let them proceed. I almost see it as a plus when people are active about seeking out knowledge. I'm sure in 6mo to a year he'll be self sufficient and as you already said he is a competent coder.

This. I'll take someone who asks for help over someone who waits a month and then fucks it up royally.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree generally. I'm specifically talking about stuff that he could easily find on his own. Our code base isn't even big.

Today he stopped working on a project because he was 'bored' of it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Yep. Definitely agree that anyone asking for help is a very good thing that IMO should always be encouraged. Unfortunately in practice this is often all too rare with problematic noobies because they are either too thin skinned/insecure and afraid to show their inexperience or are trying to prove how smart they are instead of working as a team.

In my experience there are two absolute worst scenarios with most people falling into a reasonable happy medium in between.

1) Boobs who sit there like idiots trying to reinvent the wheel instead of trying first and asking for advice
or
2) Even worse... boobs that just sit around playing on web all day because someone isnt holding their hand to tell them what to do next.

The first you can help easily by encouraging them to try first but then ask questions if he/she gets stuck.
The second? Smarten up, get to work (trying/learning if you are new, producing if experienced) or you are fired!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So we all have to follow our passions right?

Regardless of your stance on the topic, I love botting/automation of games. Whether it's the legal auto button found in some mobile games, or botting in MMO's. It fascinates me, and I often times will stare at the bot for hours watching it do it's thing. Especially in an MMO, where I can take note of things that should change, or things that could improve. While I've had this passion for a while, I never connected the dots that maybe it could lead to a career in programming. There's a 90% chance this will fizzle out once I actually start to get into it, but if I get into something because of a passion, maybe there's an ounce better chance it'll stick and turn into something great.

I apologize if this has been covered before, but where do I start? I'm in college right now for a BS in IT: Emphasis on Network Security is the official title. Have a CCNA, and I really do enjoy Networking. I've read here multiple times how terrible the coding camps are, so I don't really wanna do that, but is there any other way other than self teaching at home through books/websites, or switch degrees for a BS in Computer Science?

Thanks bros.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I got hired the same time as a dude right out of college. I never thought I was particularly good but my experience shows through. Every 30 minutes he has to go ask the project lead about where to look to fix bugs and stuff. I don't want to be the guy to tell him that's not what they want but maybe I should.

His coding isn't even half bad when he actually gets into it.

I'm doing architecture now at my new role but they really throw you into the deepend so far. Learning curve sucks because its no longer about how to code shit, which I can do just fine, but how to request shit that I need installed. Who to request it from and how.

Also, "coding" in shit like Datastage and Autosys. Which I have done. But I never had to actually access the tools themselves most of the time and just coded it elsewhere. Now I am all, "how the fuck do I even access this stupid thing so I can check their bullshit?"

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So we all have to follow our passions right?

Regardless of your stance on the topic, I love botting/automation of games. Whether it's the legal auto button found in some mobile games, or botting in MMO's. It fascinates me, and I often times will stare at the bot for hours watching it do it's thing. Especially in an MMO, where I can take note of things that should change, or things that could improve. While I've had this passion for a while, I never connected the dots that maybe it could lead to a career in programming. There's a 90% chance this will fizzle out once I actually start to get into it, but if I get into something because of a passion, maybe there's an ounce better chance it'll stick and turn into something great.

I apologize if this has been covered before, but where do I start? I'm in college right now for a BS in IT: Emphasis on Network Security is the official title. Have a CCNA, and I really do enjoy Networking. I've read here multiple times how terrible the coding camps are, so I don't really wanna do that, but is there any other way other than self teaching at home through books/websites, or switch degrees for a BS in Computer Science?

Thanks bros.

Bro, keep on your path at university if you want that particular field. If you want a really strong course in software dev/programming I recommend the Full Stack Engineering cert from udacity.com. Precourses are all free and when you're ready for the actual course its $200/mo. Took me 3 months working part time then they paid me back half of what I paid them. So, in the end it cost $300. Well worth it.

I got it because I didn't feel like paying 50k for a Masters and these certs do a lot of shit that's industry standard. I like Udacity because the coursework was designed by Google/Microsoft to teach what they want devs to know.